Stock repair and refinish

fat_jay

The stock on my Browning split a few weeks ago, it was taken in for repair by the shop i got it from, but i wasn't happy with the repair, so a re-repair and refinish was my only option

This is the stock as i got it back, as you can see its not pretty

DSCF1487.jpg

The next step was to break of the repaired section, luckily the glue had not stuck all the way along

DSCF1493.jpg

Using a sclapel and a small metal point, the glue was removed to alow a better fit between the two peices of stock

Next job was to glue it up

DSCF1495.jpg

When that was set the old finish was removed and sanded, once it was all gone it was sanded until smooth, in between sanding the stock was washed with water and allowed to dry to raise the grain( repeated 10+ times with 600 grit paper)

DSCF1502.jpg

Next a coat of stain was applied

DSCF1503.jpg

Once this was dry it was time to start on the hand rubbed oil finish

first coat

DSCF1504.jpg

Nearing the end of oiling

DSCF1511.jpg

And finally back on the action

DSCF1516.jpg

I now a couple of fellas that have used this shop for repairs, and have been more than happy with his work, so i am putting mine down to being an off day. I dont want to possibly affect the fellas buisness by naming him, if it was just an isolated off day.

My intention for the thread was to just show the repair and refinish process

Cheers lads, i wont lie, i was very dissapointed with work the shop did, that said, i really enjoyed the process. I fancy an old sxs to revive now :good:

ive got a old midland gun company sxs with similar crack you can borrow and refurb "im nice like that"

anyhow cracking job all credit to you for a good job :good:

That looks really great - well done.

Which OIL did you use for the stock? I've got a Browning 325 which I've had for 15 years or so and have been doing far more shooting in the last couple of years and am now noticing that some parts of the stock are looking 'dry' and colour faded.

Particularly around the heel of the pistol grip and the forend.

Previously a wipe with the cleaning cloth had been sufficient but I think it's getting a bit weathered now and could do with some TLC!

What would you recommend? :)

That looks really great - well done.

Which OIL did you use for the stock? I've got a Browning 325 which I've had for 15 years or so and have been doing far more shooting in the last couple of years and am now noticing that some parts of the stock are looking 'dry' and colour faded.

Particularly around the heel of the pistol grip and the forend.

Previously a wipe with the cleaning cloth had been sufficient but I think it's getting a bit weathered now and could do with some TLC!

What would you recommend? :)

If yours has the original finish from browning on it, as mine did, i think you would probably be at the "strip and refinish" stage. Mine was a heavy cellulose type finish, i dont think it would ever touch up well

I used a london gunstock oil

Jay

• 1 month later...