FAC air rifle advice

the enigma

I'm thinking of getting an FAC air rifle for clearing rabbits on land that is close to houses and where noise is an issue. I'm after a second hand rifle,nothing fancy,just as long as it shoots straight.So I just wanted to ask if there was any rifles you'd recommend or any that you'd advise me to stay clear of.

Cheers

Get a Rapid 7 second hand in .22 cal only. Super 10's can be ok when they are working but fiddly to fix when they are not. Buddy bottle jobs all the way though you need the capacity. The .22 rf with subs and a moddy is better on noise though not as safe

.177 looses all its plus points at fac levels, .20 is again a gun without a purpose with very few pellet choices, .25 great if you can get a pellet it likes then hold thousands in stock and run it as fast as you can sub 1000fps. .22 run it on std Bis mags or similar heavies at 750-850 fps and remember a moderator is required as another firearm on the fac application :good:

i would advise the daystate air ranger .22 40 ft-lbs and avoid the air arms s410 Extra pre side lever

Cheers Matt

my dad had a bolt one had bucket loads of problems with the s410 the mag would not cycle properly (ONLY FAC MODLE), it was just one issue after another a few FAC air arms owners had this problem. Yes the air arms s510 is a side lever, but air arms also fitted a side lever to the s410 extra for a while before making the s510 to adress the problem :good: if you do have a bolt one love it becasue they are good guns. but IMO the daystate's and rapids are better but they are more expensive so what do you expect.

I bought the BSA R10Mk2 in FAC £735 :good:

Didn't realise it had a barrel as long as a scaffold pole.

Best not to buy new, a very clean FAC pre-charged s/h can be had all day long for £300-£400. they loose a ton of money as there are limited buyers, strangley the lack of buyers is why they cost a premium new :rolleyes:

Hey lads cheers for all the replies. :good:

.22lr would be my preferred option if the ground suited,but the rabbits have taken up residence in spots where it isn't easy to get a safe shot with the hmr. On the up side,with FAC air I'd be able to take shots at crows etc in trees and around the silos.

As suggested,I'm leaning towards a Rapid. From what I've seen,they seem to have a pretty good rep.

theoben no contest. i put my money where my mouth is, that`s why i have 4 of them. best out there by far and i`ve tried them all.

Is there any RFDs up your end of the country you'd recommend, that would carry a good stock of 2nd hand air rifles? It can be bit hit and miss round here.

Edited by the enigma

my dad had a bolt one had bucket loads of problems with the s410 the mag would not cycle properly (ONLY FAC MODLE), it was just one issue after another a few FAC air arms owners had this problem. Yes the air arms s510 is a side lever, but air arms also fitted a side lever to the s410 extra for a while before making the s510 to adress the problem :good: if you do have a bolt one love it becasue they are good guns. but IMO the daystate's and rapids are better but they are more expensive so what do you expect.

I have the S410 FAC side lever version and in all honesty is is really good.....

Cycles smoothly with no issues at all.

Very accurate rifle but maybe a bit long when fitted with a moderator....

• 2 weeks later...

Webley fx2000, classic length and in .22 caliber,

beautiful, charismatic and perfectly balanced, 28ftlb optimum power but can be pushed to 35-40 ftlb if required... the match grade, choked barrel can shoot tight groups at 80 - 100 yards with ease... its easy to strip, clean, tune and service, made in Sweden so definitely reliable and not to mention becoming highly collectable.

its old but gold. ive just bought me another and cant wait for it to arrive!

this rifle also comes under the following names, axsor, rapier, excalibre, timberwolf and tarantula - all practically the same but with slight differences...

cheers

andy.