Best 'wee' 4x4??

wildfowler.250

Apologies if this has been asked before,(I don't look at this section very often).

I am looking for a small 4x4 that I can use for shooting when the weather is bad with snow or the fields are a bit soft. I can manage fine with a 2 seater as long as there's anough boot space for dog box and shooting gear.

I was thinking of something like the jimney,(and I know some people say woman's car but I'm ok with that :yp:). My other thought was a shogun pinnin.

Firstly any suggestions as to what's good or what to avoid?

Also a price guide would be great! I'm looking for as cheap as poss without getting something that's wrecked. ie I've got a wee car for going into town,(which can't hack snow!!) so don't mind if this is cheap and a bit scratched as long as it works well!

Advice would be greatly appreciated! I have seen a few Jimneys for 1-2K with high milage and thought that would be the ticket :hmm:

Thanks in advance for replies! :good:

NOt as popular but have a look at SWB RAV4 better on Mway IMO than jimny, not as good off road but the twin sunroof one is perfect for lamping from as long as your not too fat, rear seats fold up to gives a decent load area. Reliable, not too bad on fuel for 2.0litre petrol and with decent tyres (the key with any 4x4) should see you alright, although since the bad weather last year prices have shot up and stayed up, you could pick up 70-100k for under £1k.....

Jimnys are a very good small 4x4.

Fuel econemy is good for 4x4s with mine returning 36 MPG on a run and 30 in town/short runs.

Took mine down to brighton in the summer and had no problems on the motorways. I find the engine noise gets quite apperent when cruising at motorway speeds.

Yes it will do 70 MPH and will do more :yp: and you will find that while acceleration is nothing to right home about under 300 rpm once above that it can really pull.

Its quite usefull for towing, and if you remove the rear seats( a simple and easily reversable process) it does have a reasonable load carrying capacity.

Make sure you get one with a "M" engine as its more fuel efficent, powerful and you dont have a cam belt to worry about.

They are good offroad, especially when fitted with good tyres, and they also have a proper transfer bvox giving 2WD High/ 4WD High /4WD Low

If you need more info give me a PM

ATB

Beretta

Edited by Beretta28g

Jimnys are a very good small 4x4.

Fuel econemy is good for 4x4s with mine returning 36 MPG on a run and 30 in town/short runs.

Took mine down to brighton in the summer and had no problems on the motorways. I find the engine noise gets quite apperent when cruising at motorway speeds.

Yes it will do 70 MPH and will do more :yp: and you will find that while acceleration is nothing to right home about under 300 rpm once above that it can really pull.

Its quite usefull for towing, and if you remove the rear seats( a simple and easily reversable process) it does have a reasonable load carrying capacity.

Make sure you get one with a "M" engine as its more fuel efficent, powerful and you dont have a cam belt to worry about.

They are good offroad, especially when fitted with good tyres, and they also have a proper transfer bvox giving 2WD High/ 4WD High /4WD Low

If you need more info give me a PM

ATB

Beretta

Jimmny's are for Jessies.

Vitara is a mans truck.

i have the pinin 4work brilliant off road took mine more places than i could get the estate LD 90. we get our 6 dogs in the back of it ok. nice to drive could do with a little more poke behind, plus if you do need to tow with it, it will do it but you dont want to do too much with it, ive towed a 1.5ton chipper and it was ok untill we got too any steep hills.

If you search the forum for "Jimny", you'll generally get very favourable reviews, with only a minority of simpletons :P slating it for such comparisons to "Hairdressers" cars, and the like. :D

Those people aside, the Jimny is an extremely capable little offroader, and superb in the snow.

As has been already said, try to get a post 2002 version to be sure of a timing chain instead of cam belt, or make sure the belt has been changed if an older model.

Newer models have a button-push 4x4, whilst the older (pre 2005 or therabouts) have a separate low box stick.

MPG (for me) is around 32 on mostly small journeys.

Reliability is superb. Things to look out for would be to make sure the engine management light comes on, but goes off again after ignition. Jimnys have a common issue with o2 sensors, and others, malfunctioning. Easily and cheaply fixed, though.

Thanks for all the replies guys! very informative and has given me a good idea of what too look for,(pinin/pajero/vitara ect).

A lot of good words about the Jimney,( I havent really heard anything bad about them tbh!) so I think that's what I will look for in particular!

If you search the forum for "Jimny", you'll generally get very favourable reviews, with only a minority of simpletons :P slating it for such comparisons to "Hairdressers" cars, and the like. :D

Those people aside, the Jimny is an extremely capable little offroader, and superb in the snow.

As has been already said, try to get a post 2002 version to be sure of a timing chain instead of cam belt, or make sure the belt has been changed if an older model.

Newer models have a button-push 4x4, whilst the older (pre 2005 or therabouts) have a separate low box stick.

MPG (for me) is around 32 on mostly small journeys.

Reliability is superb. Things to look out for would be to make sure the engine management light comes on, but goes off again after ignition. Jimnys have a common issue with o2 sensors, and others, malfunctioning. Easily and cheaply fixed, though.

"Make sure you get one with a "M" engine as its more fuel efficent, powerful and you dont have a cam belt to worry about". So are the post 2002 models the one with this M engine? Or post 2005? Realistically can I pick up a 2002 model or newer for 1k? maybe 2K at a push? Be honest :lol:

Thanks again for all the help! Appreciate it!

edited to say I'm not really bothered about a 'newer' one, just if 2002 onwards have a better engine ect then it makes sense to go for that one :good:

Edited by CZ452

Personally I am a fan of the Terios,quite good road manners,4 door & surprisingly good off road.Only let down is no low box but there again neither has a Freelander & I ain't got stuck yet(:up till now).Had one for 9yrs & excellent reliabity,just servicing(myself:I am m/mechanic)tyres & brake pads.Worked on Jimnys & like them too.Both good for mid 30s mpg but for best economy keep below 65mph:both have aerodynamics of a house brick!

If you get one from pre- March 2001, they're in a lower tax bracket, so only £125 (I think) per year. I'm looking for an older one for that reason...