Best 'wee' 4x4??

wildfowler.250

Thanks for all the replies guys! Given me plenty to think about! I'll look at the terios as well!

What the heck is a lada niva???

Cheers again for all the input!

one of these

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201148432353350/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/lada/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/1500/postcode/ne630bt?logcode=p

actually a very capable 4x4 but like hens teeth to get hold of, they are going to start importing a new model soon

:shaun:

one of these

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201148432353350/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/lada/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/1500/postcode/ne630bt?logcode=p

actually a very capable 4x4 but like hens teeth to get hold of, they are going to start importing a new model soon

:shaun:

Cheers for the link! I'm not too into my looks but no thanks :lol:

Think the jimny is the way forward, just need to find a cheap one in Scotland!

Have a look through this, especially around 3 minutes in, I went to the launch of these in 2000 and you will not believe what it can do in the rough. Even with the rear seats in place the boot is huge with the option of removing one or all three if needs be. Cheap to buy 2nd hand and even the poverty spec has AC, most have climate, twin sunroofs and leather!!

There are loads of Youtube vids on it and I recall it blitzed the Freelander in a Topgear test pulling a caravan from a stand still on wet grass. :yes:

Apologies if this has been asked before,(I don't look at this section very often).

I am looking for a small 4x4 that I can use for shooting when the weather is bad with snow or the fields are a bit soft. I can manage fine with a 2 seater as long as there's anough boot space for dog box and shooting gear.

I was thinking of something like the jimney,(and I know some people say woman's car but I'm ok with that :yp:). My other thought was a shogun pinnin.

Firstly any suggestions as to what's good or what to avoid?

Also a price guide would be great! I'm looking for as cheap as poss without getting something that's wrecked. ie I've got a wee car for going into town,(which can't hack snow!!) so don't mind if this is cheap and a bit scratched as long as it works well!

Advice would be greatly appreciated! I have seen a few Jimneys for 1-2K with high milage and thought that would be the ticket :hmm:

Thanks in advance for replies! :good:

Check out forums for your choices of 4x4 (jimney forum)purley because as whats happened here,you start to get advise then the ***** jump in & take the **** & start arguing amongst themselves & totally go of content.(do these people actually shoot or just get kicks from taking the ****)I asked the same question & got a load of ****.So i went on individual 4x4 forums and got sensible advise.

Check out forums for your choices of 4x4 (jimney forum)purley because as whats happened here,you start to get advise then the ***** jump in & take the **** & start arguing amongst themselves & totally go of content.(do these people actually shoot or just get kicks from taking the ****)I asked the same question & got a load of ****.So i went on individual 4x4 forums and got sensible advise.

Pipe down you bender, he's had 2 whole pages of good advice until someone mentioned some stupid looking renfault people carrier :lol:

Check out the Subaru Forester. Proper 4 seater with room in the back for a dog cage and gear. Good ground clearance and AWD. Drives like a car on the road and will perform well off it.

Another good choice :yes: , you can all laugh at my suggestion but in truth it'll go almost anywhere even a tricked out Jimny will, which is more than anyone of us actually needs, has a massive boot unlike the likes of even the Freelander, and it drives like a car too. That was the point I was making. Now I'll get my coat. :lol: :lol:

Interesting and impressive to see from that video that the 4wd Renault could confidently be driven through puddles and along unmade tracks, and that it could keep going in a couple of inches of snow. Don't know how I've managed without one.

Oh, on second thoughts, I do! Because just about every bog-standard car I've ever had could have made a fair fist of keeping up with it!

Interesting and impressive to see from that video that the 4wd Renault could confidently be driven through puddles and along unmade tracks, and that it could keep going in a couple of inches of snow. Don't know how I've managed without one.

Oh, on second thoughts, I do! Because just about every bog-standard car I've ever had could have made a fair fist of keeping up with it!

My mums polo would do more what a **** vid !!

It wouldn't and you know it. The RX4 has a trick 4 wheel drive system that allows it to drive in a circle on snow (or in a straight line) without loosing traction, a front wheel drive car could simply not do that, it would very quickly spin its wheels and dig itself a hole. I see that around where I live nearly every winter. It is no better than a Jimny and I admit the video is not hard core enough, it was the first one I came across on Youtube but I have personally taken them on muddy farmland and they don't get stuck.

The point I keep making is that they have a huge boot which we shooters need, 5 proper seats and drive characteristics that won't frighten your wife. Unless you do your pigeon shooting on top of mount Nevis they have all the Let's off road most need.

It wouldn't and you know it. The RX4 has a trick 4 wheel drive system that allows it to drive in a circle on snow (or in a straight line) without loosing traction, a front wheel drive car could simply not do that, it would very quickly spin its wheels and dig itself a hole. I see that around where I live nearly every winter. It is no better than a Jimny and I admit the video is not hard core enough, it was the first one I came across on Youtube but I have personally taken them on muddy farmland and they don't get stuck.

The point I keep making is that they have a huge boot which we shooters need, 5 proper seats and drive characteristics that won't frighten your wife. Unless you do your pigeon shooting on top of mount Nevis they have all the Let's off road most need.

Sound like a useful vehicle! It all depends on what you need and everyone has different requirements but

I guess most people just need a little bit more offroad ability than an ordinary car rather than a

full blown offroader.

Sound like a useful vehicle! It all depends on what you need and everyone has different requirements but

I guess most people just need a little bit more offroad ability than an ordinary car rather than a

full blown offroader.

Yep! Trouble is, whenever you recommend a car that fits that bill the thread gets jumped upon by those who think that it it can't cross the Sahara or climb Ben Nevis it isn't a 'proper' 4X4. :rolleyes:

If its a third car for shooting throwing it around in the mud jimny all the way,wouldn't want to drive mine at 70 to far,but with the right tyres goes every where up to the sump in mud today goes well,if you are loooking for more mileage go Mitsubishi diesel,more comfort more to go wrong but a great motor,horses for courses :good:

I know you are looking for something 'wee' but have you considered the Honda CRV? I'm running one now and it is great. Does all I need and is capable across the fields and in the goop and is also very comfortable, smooth and powerful when needed. It is also a heck of a lot safer than a Jimny as it's solid.