with or without

gonk69

hi fellas im fairly new to rifle shooting(even though im brilliant at it, lol)my question to you wonderfull chaps and chappesses is, my 452 17hmr was sighted in at 100yrds with a sak moderator on it, would it still be as acurate with the mod removed?im after mr fox in the morning its a one shot situation will only take a shot if he turns up just wanted to hear the gun unmoderated, any advice is welcomed. cheers matt

hi fellas im fairly new to rifle shooting(even though im brilliant at it, lol)my question to you wonderfull chaps and chappesses is, my 452 17hmr was sighted in at 100yrds with a sak moderator on it, would it still be as acurate with the mod removed?im after mr fox in the morning its a one shot situation will only take a shot if he turns up just wanted to hear the gun unmoderated, any advice is welcomed. cheers matt

Any `trials` should not be practised on live quarry.

If it`s zeroed with the mod on then deal with the fox with the mod on.

The bang won`t be any less cause you fired at a piece of paper.

Any `trials` should not be practised on live quarry.

If it`s zeroed with the mod on then deal with the fox with the mod on.

The bang won`t be any less cause you fired at a piece of paper.

As above. Try the rifle at paper targets. My experience with 17HMR and .22LR is that there is very little difference in accuracy, with or without the moderator's fitted.

My advice is to leave the moderator on the rifle at all times, apart from cleaning it.

As the others have said, leave it on as you don't know what it will do without. Generally any movement in impact will be due to the change in barrel harmonics and weight change at the muzzle but with such a small round and such a light mod I wouldn't expect much to change. Just give it a try on paper another day - or take the mod off and shoot the Fox again once it's down and dead if you really want to hear it tomorrow! :good:

my cz 17HMR shot quite a bit low with the mod on when zeroed without. cant remember how much, it was a while ago. i remember i couldnt use it on and off with the same zero.

+1 from memory mine shoots 3-4" higher without the mod at 100yds

Edited by matone

And as for how loud it is without the mod, well lets just say dont forget some hearing protection.

+1. Ears will ring for a few hours without it.

The groups on mine open up quite a bit without the mod on.

Just remember to always remove the mod when storing the rifle. Too many people don't and end up with a knackered crown.

Just remember to always remove the mod when storing the rifle. Too many people don't and end up with a knackered crown.

Cooter, I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here! I always leave my SAK mod on my 17 HMR rifle (except for when I want to clean it) and have never had any problems with either the mod or the crown. I can't see how storing it with the mod on while in the gun cabinet can damage the crown, maybe you could explain this please.

I'm not saying that you are either right or wrong as this is a completely new one on me.

Have to say that's a new one to me, all my rifles are stored with the moderators on and always have been and I've never seen any damage to the crown or accuracy change for that matter... Why would a metal part on the end of the barrel damage it :blink:

Regards,

Gixer

Edit to say - frenchie beat me to it! :lol:

Edited by gixer1

Cooter, I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here! I always leave my SAK mod on my 17 HMR rifle (except for when I want to clean it) and have never had any problems with either the mod or the crown. I can't see how storing it with the mod on while in the gun cabinet can damage the crown, maybe you could explain this please.

I'm not saying that you are either right or wrong as this is a completely new one on me.

Take your HMR mod apart just after you've put a round through it. It will be sopping wet with condensation, especially if fired in cold weather.

If you leave it on and stand the rifle in safe that moisture will run down on to the crown and thread and sit there as well as introducing humidity into your safe.

I always take my mods off and stand them on a ledge in the fireplace till next time.

Don't forget to clean the thread when you clean the mod. Powder residue is very corrosive and there's no bluing on the muzzle thread.

I always take my mods off and stand them on a ledge in the fireplace till next time.

Don't forget to clean the thread when you clean the mod. Powder residue is very corrosive and there's no bluing on the muzzle thread.

Yep second that....not so long ago I had a 22 rifle in that the cert holder had left the Mod on...nothing short of molegrips to get it off, a thin smear of copperslip works wonders.

POI has always changed with me after removing a Mod... :yes:

Take your HMR mod apart just after you've put a round through it. It will be sopping wet with condensation, especially if fired in cold weather.

If you leave it on and stand the rifle in safe that moisture will run down on to the crown and thread and sit there as well as introducing humidity into your safe.

I understand your point about damp, and leaving the mod in a warm place is a good idea. However surely the police may potentially take a rather dim view of this, as they class mods as a firearm and therefore technically need locking up?

There has never been a difference in my .22 lr zero mod on or off, the HMR i never tried. Big diference in any c/f i have owned though.

I dont ever remove rf moddies for storage but wet guns dont go in the safe till dry anyway. C/fire moddies are always removed for storage though and put into a different safe- once dry!

I understand your point about damp, and leaving the mod in a warm place is a good idea. However surely the police may potentially take a rather dim view of this, as they class mods as a firearm and therefore technically need locking up?

The mods for my rimfires are listed on my ticket as 'Make- unknown; Serial number- NA'

Technically they are unregistered. If they were identified on my ticket by make and number (SAK mods are not numbered) that would be an entirely different matter. I don't have a mod on my .308 because I hate mods on stalking rifles. I don't think they're worth it for the number and frequency of shots fired. They ruin the balance of the rifle to no benefit (I don't find recoil an issue) and cost a fortune. But that's just me. CF mods are a whole separate thread, and its each to their own, though I suspect I may be in a minority. :rolleyes:

Yes, it will still be ACCURATE without a mod, but whether is shoots in the same place is a different matter!

It doesn't matter what anyone else has found, the only way to be sure is try it....ON PAPER!

And even the HMR is VERY loud without a mod!

:good::good:

For those that don't remove and properly clean and dry the moderator read the following article, particularly the Corrosion and Erosion paragraph.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/181209/TOP_TIPS_Care_for_your_sound_moderator.html

A mod on a .22lr or air rifle is not really a problem, apart from it possibly fusing to the barrel, as you do not get the same level of corrosive material developing, but all other mods require a proper cleaning regime.

If you use a T8 it is worth remembering that they were designed as a throw away item for military use and that is why they are not strippable, although Jackson rifles still recommend sitting them on the radiator until dry (doing so will extend their life and reduce the corrosive effect), but most other mods are for civilian use and you should care for them in the same way you should your rifle.