Magpies

Sha Bu Le

Anyone else noticed an increase in mags (NE England) Counted 12 on the fence & in the elder trees out back. Normally we only get a couple.

Maybe its this years broods from around the cemetery that haven't moved on yet.

If not its going to be even harder for the song birds come spring & nesting time.

They are not on my property and don't present safe opportunities so got to leave them, odd times they come into my garden 2 seconds grab a beakful and away. Blink and they don't come anywhere near.

Should I not post before 2012 everyone have a good, happy and peaceful new year.

ATB

Bri

get a larsen trap. and a call bird and your soon cull there number down.

i have two traps. and when the magpies start getting high on numbers i get a call bird off a shooting mate of mine. and had 17 in two weeks come into the trap.

just make sure you look after the call bird. with food and water i also use to put him away over night in a spare pen.

imo its the best way to control them. because they never seam to sit still long enough to shoot with the air rifle

Edited by jamie g

Plenty here in the south.

I counted 20+ flocking together in a field near Charlwood,Surrey.

Couldn't work out why,as no obvious signs of food.

Magpies are on the increase on farms around here.

Shot 6 in a couple of hours with my air rifle earlier this year.

Haven't been able to repeat such a morning since. :/

Maybe next year??

There is no doubt whatsoever that Magpies are on the increase in this part of the world.

They are a pain in the ****, and I think all 40+ of my permissions want them gone.

I have to take a step back and admire the Magpie, they are incredibly good at what they do :yes::yes: , and take some time and thought to shoot on the whole, just the same, they are causing a lot of perceived grief!