Durham shootin?

MM

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot send my Wife to the registered firearms dealer for me

Without wishing to sound pedantic, yes you can send your wife for cartridges. She must be over 18, have a covering letter signed by yourself and have your SGC with her.

Apart from that well done on your letter. :good:

Someone made a comment in another post about the Durham shotings about the guy who shot his family not getting a renewal ..this was deemed fit enough for the mods to delete some of the post section then merge it with this post..makes even less sense now..but I get were they are coming from.The post by CZ to hawkeye would have made sense with the original script in place and would NOT have been deemed rude just informative ...see mods now you have caused another fight :lol:

Edited by PWD

i made a comment previously trying to inject some humour, it has been removed and i have been messaged to inform me, i hope i didn't offend anyone, my point better worded is some of us are concerned that he left his gun in the car........this bad practice pales into insignificance when we consider what he has done, it is awful, very sad, we will all be tarred with the brush of atherton for a while. thoughts with the family and friends of the victims. My wife commented though if it had been in a cabinet unlocking that may have made him reconsider his angry actions......his disregard for correct storage made his gun too available when angry.

I had an improptu visit from my housing association today as I'me getting a new heating system fitted later this month, they did a tour of the house and told me what needs to be shifted, carpets rolled back etc. etc. and asked about access to my two locked cupboards to take trunking through etc..

I informed them that I would need to be present at all times during access, when pushed as to why I told them I had an SGC and FAC and the cupboards contained my gun safe, ammo safe and other shooting related kit. Don't think they were very pleased about it, they also told me there would be at least one day when we have to be completely out of the house between 9 & 4, I plan (at the very least) to remove all guns and ammunition and take them with me.

Edited by phaedra1106

they also told me there would be at least one day when we have to be completely out of the house between 9 & 4, I plan (at the very least) to remove all guns and ammunition and take them with me.

I know what you mean, I covered my safes up in the utility room with a couple of beach towels whilst the central heating man fixed the boiler. When the phone man came to check the line I took the de-act. wallhanger down and hung a pike gaff on the hooks. Only a couple of my close (non-hunting) friends know I have a SGC, discretion I believe is paramount.

nd asked about access to my two locked cupboards to take trunking through etc..

I informed them that I would need to be present at all times during access, when pushed as to why I told them I had an SGC and FAC and the cupboards contained my gun safe, ammo safe and other shooting related kit. Don't think they were very pleased about it, they also told me there would be at least one day when we have to be completely out of the house between 9 & 4, I plan (at the very least) to remove all guns and ammunition and take them with me.

surely just taking the keys with you is suffienct? Is that the point of cabinets to prevent unauthorised access? I

My neighbours know we shoot as they see us carrying various hard cases, shooting mats etc. in and out a few times a week. None of them have ever asked what we shoot and I wouldn't tell them if they did, if pushed I'd lie and say air rifle and paintballing :)

edited.

Hdav, yes I would normally agree but with us out of the house all day and people having full access and, from what I've seen in the next street a nasty habit of going out for tools or tea and leaving the doors either open or unlocked I'm not taking the chance. There are about 1500 12g shells in one cupoard that normally won't fit into the cabinet, probably being paranoid but once the guns are removed I'll get my son to lift them into the empty gun safe.

I have no idea who the people coming in to my house do the work are, fairly sure they won't have had CRB checks etc., they are a sub-contracted firm and if they are anything like the two firms who did the rewiring and double glazing I wouldn't trust them with an open box of tea bags!.

Edited by phaedra1106

I wouldn't fancy leaving them in the house while letting strangers in without me around either, if they wanted they'd be well equipped to break into the cabinets, they'd have plenty of time to do so.

It's OK as long as you can keep them somewhere safe elsewhere for the day.

I wouldn't fancy leaving them in the house while letting strangers in without me around either, if they wanted they'd be well equipped to break into the cabinets, they'd have plenty of time to do so..

So you think your plumber is going to break into you gun cabinet? :hmm:

Unlikely, but not everybody in the world is trustworthy, as we all know. And you don't know if they'll have a mate/apprentice come along later to give them a hand either.

When you consider that they could have hours to do so, all the tools they need with them, and several guns available, I wouldn't feel happy with going off for the day just like that, taking the guns away gives peace of mind. If I had nobody I could leave them with and couldn't keep them secure with me then perhaps I wouldn't have any choice.

Aside from losing FAC/SGC for having guns pinched (and the cost of them), I'd rather not have my guns used for future cash withdrawals at the post office.

I haven't told my neighbor's I shoot either...but the 4X4, loading/unloading gundogs and dead pheasants may give it away..coupled with the Cocker taking a dead partridge and burying it in one of their front lawns,may have been my last giveaway.

Edited by PWD

You would need to assume that the plummer may inform someone thay may want to break into it.

I for one do not tell anyone where my cabinet is located, in fact few people even know I have a SGC & FAC, and I plan on keeping it that way!

So you think your plumber is going to break into you gun cabinet?

Unlikely, but not everybody in the world is trustworthy, as we all know. And you don't know if they'll have a mate/apprentice come along later to give them a hand either.

When you consider that they could have hours to do so, all the tools they need with them, and several guns available, I wouldn't feel happy with going off for the day just like that, taking the guns away gives peace of mind. If I had nobody I could leave them with and couldn't keep them secure with me then perhaps I wouldn't have any choice.

Aside from losing FAC/SGC for having guns pinched (and the cost of them), I'd rather not have my guns used for future cash withdrawals at the post office

at first i thought no way thats ott

but thinking of tools we carry angle grinder no problem :o

I dont think the guys who carry out the work would be so stupid ..but who knows...its who they tell at the pub that is the worry..even if you remove all the guns they may well see the cabinet . Not really much you can do in truth if they have to access the place the cabinets in. My firearms officer of 20 years said he has only attended one cabinet break in,most theft happen when the guns are out and about.