is there any way of making a gun tight again

elmar fudd

ive bit the bullet and brought my new gun :blush: a mint condition beretta 687s special :D i love it but it opens and shuts without any effort... this isnt a problem at all and shows the gun has had a life but id love it if it was tighter as in abit harder to open and close so it felt new :blush: is there any way of getting this done? and if so what sort of price am i looking at? thanks :D

fudd :good:

All Berettas are loose like that great when on a hot peg opens one handed.

If it bothers you get a gunsmith to change the stubb pins for the next size up. A quick fix you can try yourself is undo the stubb pins with a Allen key and swap sides the worn part should be on the side not mating with the hooks on barrel ie facing forward.

ATB figgy

:D i love it but it opens and shuts without any effort... this isnt a problem at all and shows the gun has had a life but id love it if it was tighter as in abit harder to open and close so it felt new :blush: is there any way of getting this done? and if so what sort of price am i looking at? thanks :D

fudd :good:

The mind boggles, I'm sure there's a few of us are relating to this in a different way apart from wanting it harder to open :blush:

Take off the forend and hold the barrels and give it a good shake if there is any movement between the face and barrells u might need stubb pins or u-bolt in one size up or both possibly. If there is no movement forget about it.

and if you really want to check how tight the gun is then lay a thin cloth on the kitchen table, take the fore end off the gun, lay the barrels on the cloth with the action and stock over the edge, hold the barrels firmly to the table and use the stock to manipulate any play :yes:

Gentlemen, I hesitate to disillusion some of you, but a gun that is stiff to open and close is nothing more than a nuisance.

I don't know whence comes the notion that "stiff" should be synonymous with "new", and therefore a desirable trait; it is, in fact, nothing more than an indication that the gun hasn't been properly adjusted during assembly. It's lazy engineering on the part of the manufacturer to get the tolerances too tight and then expect the customer to wear the gun in!

Sadly, most modern mass-produced guns display this failing.

A properly assembled gun should open and close smoothly, without any more resistance than it takes to re-cock the firing mechanism and the ejectors, and without any play or slop at the hinge or breech-face.

Gentlemen, I hesitate to disillusion some of you, but a gun that is stiff to open and close is nothing more than a nuisance.

I don't know whence comes the notion that "stiff" should be synonymous with "new", and therefore a desirable trait; it is, in fact, nothing more than an indication that the gun hasn't been properly adjusted during assembly. It's lazy engineering on the part of the manufacturer to get the tolerances too tight and then expect the customer to wear the gun in!

Sadly, most modern mass-produced guns display this failing.

A properly assembled gun should open and close smoothly, without any more resistance than it takes to re-cock the firing mechanism and the ejectors, and without any play or slop at the hinge or breech-face.

I shot a well worn browning b2g the other day. And like fore mentioned it opened one handed.

You can't buy that sort of wear. Just enjoy it. I shoot a 525 at the mo and it's a pain in the *** when you have to keep pushing it to get the bottom cart in.

Absoflogginlutely!!! i've bought one new gun ever (Bettinsoli) and hated it the whole time i had it as it was so bleedin stiff to open!! Previously loved is definitely the way to go.