kill percentage

magman

Using a shotgun I would be happy to average at anything from 3 to 1 or better for game or pigeons (my best was 132 pigeons for 150 shells and I am not going to tell you my worst :good: ). Lower than that and i would seek coaching help.

With a rifle i would expect to kill what i shoot at just about every time. If not, I should not have taken the shot!

Ft

Well, when I have the right choke in the gun, and using the correct shot size, and my allowance for the correct amount of lead is right, then my cartridge/kill ratio when I am shooting on my own (without witnesses) is always about 110% :good::good:

When I am shooting in company I have been known to miss the odd shot. Occasionally. Now and again.

And the reason for that is that they always manage to distract me at the critical moment.

As my dog is my witness, the above statement is correct :good::good::lol:

Don

Miss? Me? No never! :good::good::lol:

But realy i'd say about 75-80% avarage! :good::good:

Sorry, but I can't believe what I'm reading, if you have a hundred shots over decoys you average 80 kills, that means if you kill 60 one day, you kill 100 the next time, either the are very easy, with no wind, about to land, or you don't count your cases when you pick em up! I've been decoying for years, with lots of good shots for company, and we're always well pleased if we kill 50%... 8 out 10 first barrel ? naaaaaah

Andy

personally 75% is my average any less is a bad day.

I think most of the professional pigeon shooters would be happy with a 60% kill rate, and that can go down when us mortals start shooting.

3 out of 4 is a phenomenal rate, and one that many good shooters regularly fail to achieve.

I don’t profess to be a wizard with a shotgun and would be more than happy with a 50% kill ratio.

Rifles is my thing, and even though I very rarely miss, it does happen…..why? who knows….but these things happen and anyone who says that they have never missed is either a liar or has never shot anything. :good:

G.M.

shot pigeon,s all me life from the age of 8 .

do not shoot clay,s as they don't twist and turn .

cannot shoot of the shoulder , got to be of the waist.

used a lincoln no 2 game for over 20 yrs 1/4 x 1/2 choke or the remmi 1100 1/4 choke.

have been known to drop to 50% but it,s a bad day when i do :good:

also class myself as a loanner as i mainly shoot on me own .

brother does come now and again , dad cannot walk to far now (pitty as he taught me all i now)

like i said 75% the norm bulls""t not needed got nowt to prove :good:

personally 75% is my average any less is a bad day.

I think most of the professional pigeon shooters would be happy with a 60% kill rate, and that can go down when us mortals start shooting.

3 out of 4 is a phenomenal rate, and one that many good shooters regularly fail to achieve.

I don’t profess to be a wizard with a shotgun and would be more than happy with a 50% kill ratio.

Rifles is my thing, and even though I very rarely miss, it does happen…..why? who knows….but these things happen and anyone who says that they have never missed is either a liar or has never shot anything. :good:

G.M.

Spot on G.M. :good:

As for me and shotguns, i get about 50%, or less :good: of what i shoot at. :good::lol:

Frank.

I have to say my shooting varies a lot, probably as I don't get out as much as I would like. Sometimes i'm in the zone :good: , and am pulling off all sorts of shots, on these days you just try things you wouldn't normally, and they do work, days to be savoured. On otherdays my shooting leaves a lot to be desired. :good:

I think most of it's psychological I can usually tell how the day is going to go after the first 10 shots, rarely will things go from bad to excellent or viceversa. I have to say though, I'm really not too bothered about cartridge to kill ratios. If that's the memory of the day then stick to clays (imo!)

I have to say my shooting varies a lot, probably as I don't get out as much as I would like. Sometimes i'm in the zone :good: , and am pulling off all sorts of shots, on these days you just try things you wouldn't normally, and they do work, days to be savoured. On otherdays my shooting leaves a lot to be desired. :good:

I think most of it's psychological I can usually tell how the day is going to go after the first 10 shots, rarely will things go from bad to excellent or viceversa. I have to say though, I'm really not too bothered about cartridge to kill ratios. If that's the memory of the day then stick to clays (imo!)

Well said Teal! A good honest answer, and I think one that goes for most of us

Andy

Out and about with the .22 rimmie I get about 60%, while with the 17HMR it's about 90% - mostly due to using the HMR off the bipod and the .22 being fired whilst standing.

It's been about 18 years.... but I think I had a far better kill rate with the .22 airgun - probably because I had to get much closer and had no quick 2nd shot.

John

i either shoot well or i shoot badly,no middle ground.as long as i do the quarry justice i dont count the shells.

id rather have ten clean kills from a box of shells than twenty winged pigeons.hitting them isnt the hard part,ensuring a clean kill is,but each to their own.

if its all about ratios then the local clay ground is the place to go.

amen to teals post :good:

Miss? Me? No never! :good::good::lol:

But realy i'd say about 75-80% avarage! :good::good:

Sorry, but I can't believe what I'm reading, if you have a hundred shots over decoys you average 80 kills, that means if you kill 60 one day, you kill 100 the next time, either the are very easy, with no wind, about to land, or you don't count your cases when you pick em up! I've been decoying for years, with lots of good shots for company, and we're always well pleased if we kill 50%... 8 out 10 first barrel ? naaaaaah

Andy

Dont put much time in hides as most of my land is livestock and not arrible, i've no need to lie as i hate lying. To add to that i care not what you beleive! So based on those facts most of my shooting is rough walked up or bolting rabbits, and if you can't get a deacent kill level, get some tuition as opposed to wining at someone who does!

kids ( i say kids!) who go on about hitting a 2:1 ratio/100 birds for 150 shells etc is utter ********!

Pigeon shooting is one of the hardest things to master, yes 80-90% is achievable at clays but on a live darting, weaving birds it doesn't happen.

So for you who post these amazing figures i personally think you talk out of your ********!!!

kids ( i say kids!) who go on about hitting a 2:1 ratio/100 birds for 150 shells etc is utter *********

Pigeon shooting is one of the hardest things to master, yes 80-90% is achievable at clays but on a live darting, weaving birds it doesn't happen.

So for you who post these amazing figures i personally think you talk out of your *********!!!

Perhaps some of them have permission in Trafalgar Square :good:

With a punt gun :good::good:

482 pigeons 1 shot :good::lol::lol:

kids ( i say kids!) who go on about hitting a 2:1 ratio/100 birds for 150 shells etc is utter ***********!

So for you who post these amazing figures i personally think you talk out of your ********!!!

Jon-Boy i personaly dont give a flying what you think! Nor should anyone else that have said there figures are higher than you think! If you have a problem beleiving the truth, its your problem not anyone elses! :good::good:

Why not post your kill ratio, or is it that bad your ashamed! :good::good:

This is one of those subjects that gets everyone going. :good:

You can't compare kill/ammo ratios, with rifles and shotguns.

With a rifle (air or FAC), I would expect a high kill/shot ratio.

Decoying pigeons in favourable conditions, I should achieve 60+%.

Real average over the year is probably nearer 50%.

Roost shooting on a really windy afternoon, down to around 20%.

bertie's comment about rabbit shooting with a shotgun is interesting, as I don't miss much ground game that I shoot at, probably average 75%.

Birds on the wing seem to be a different matter.

This is one of those subjects that gets everyone going. :good:

You can't compare kill/ammo ratios, with rifles and shotguns.

With a rifle (air or FAC), I would expect a high kill/shot ratio.

Decoying pigeons in favourable conditions, I should achieve 60+%.

Real average over the year is probably nearer 50%.

Roost shooting on a really windy afternoon, down to around 20%.

bertie's comment about rabbit shooting with a shotgun is interesting, as I don't miss much ground game that I shoot at, probably average 75%.

Birds on the wing seem to be a different matter.

Cranfield

Spot on.

It all depends on the day, and the type of shooting. My averages are probably the same as yours.

To those who shoot a lot, then their averages with much practise are probably a lot better than mine.

Don

Don

A good day over deeks I often get 50%, on a bad day usually when it's really windy and the birds are coming in from different directions, the hide will be littered with cases and i'm worse than 5:1.

I agree with Cranfield generally I find roost shooting much harder and thus my scores aren't as good as they are from a hide. :good:

kids ( i say kids!) who go on about hitting a 2:1 ratio/100 birds for 150 shells etc is utter ********!

26 yrs old jon boy?

if when decoying you take the commited bird,s and don't take silly shot's then 75% is not to hard .

if you shoot at anything that fly's you wont , decoying normaly mean,s bird,s coming into a pattern at 20-30 yrds away . as long as your hide is up to the job this should'nt be a problem for most shot's

Having read a lot of books about the history of game shooting I think we are in some illustrious company if people are actually shooting (at game/pigeons/rabbits) the averages that they claim.

I have had my "Red Letter Day" which i probably will never better, because conditions were perfect and I managed to shoot well for a change. And I will admit that my old man was a "dead eye" when it came to rabbits, but high curling cotswolds pheasants brought his average down!

According to the published opinion of notable shots/authors Gough Thomas, Percy Stanbury, John Clements and many more, all say you should be happy over the course of a season to shoot an average of 3 shells to 1 bird. Those that can do better, like Mr Digweed, A J Smith, the Marquis of Ripon, Joe Nickerson etc. humbly I bow to your superior skill :good:

Ft