.204 ammo

This is always a problem with the "less than usual" calibres and why its a good thing to avoid them. Ammo supply is difficult.Dealers don't want ammo sitting on their shelves.

now how does this ans the post ???

as im waiting for this calibre to granted i would be very interested to hear what other are paying not that it is an odd calibre :rolleyes:

hello there , i shot with a .204 , when i got it i used rems 32grain but were so expensive even tho they were good i had to change £29 for 20 , moved to hornady 32gr vmax and everything was even better , group, kills and price ! get them for £19 for 20 ! ive shot with most of the centrefire calibres and wanta say if no1 has shot with the "ODD" .204 doesnt know what they are missing !

now how does this ans the post ???

as im waiting for this calibre to granted i would be very interested to hear what other are paying not that it is an odd calibre :rolleyes:

It answers the bit where you say you have looked on the net but to no avail. I was telling you why it was to no avail, because very few dealers will stock it.

Edited by Vince Green

It answers the bit where you say you have looked on the net but to no avail. I was telling you why it was to no avail, because very few dealers will stock it.

it does not mean that 204 is an unpopular calibre though, i always had a thing for a .220 swift even though my .222 would do anything you could expect from a rifle, 20 years ago when i had my first rifle .223 would be a rare thing, .222 or 22-250 was the norm, why .223 has become more popular than .222 or the 204 or 22-250 can only be attributed to the availability and price of american made rifles, the calibre is no better or worse than any of the others, but far more available, i wanted something that would shoot pretty fast and flat and always wanted a ruger no1 hv in .220 swift but these are like hens teeth here

IMHO if you are thinking of .204 then reloading is the way to go,factory ammo (IF you can find it)is expensive compared to reloading,I reload for my .204 for around 35-40p per round, 100 V-Max 32gn bullets are £19.99,primers 3.5p,and powder about 8p,cases have paid for themselves AFTER tha first firing. :good:

Alan :)

yea will prob start this reloading lark if i get it granted..tho very interested to hear the general prices for ammo and i know that by the time i buy couple hundred rounds at roughly £1 a go i can buy the basic gear and do my own and as i will only be having 1 rifle there is no need to mess round with different types of loads.... get 1 and stick to it

what is the cost of .204 cartridges ? as i have a slot for a .204 . and currently looking for a second hand rifle . i have had a look on the net but to no avail thanks in advance

Hi Neil i have shot my howa 204 for about 18 months now and what a rifle it is. Hornady 32gr factory rounds are doing about 4225fps at muzzle and cost wise they are around £21 per 20 were i go and they keep them in stock. also get 204 rifles in to. I started loading my own a couple of weeks ago and they are running out at about 38ppr

Hi Neil i have shot my howa 204 for about 18 months now and what a rifle it is. Hornady 32gr factory rounds are doing about 4225fps at muzzle and cost wise they are around £21 per 20 were i go and they keep them in stock. also get 204 rifles in to. I started loading my own a couple of weeks ago and they are running out at about 38ppr

Have you shot foxes with the 204? If so how do you find it at 200 meters, does it perform well in them?

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I know it's an old thread, but i was having some doubt about buying a .204, but having just read the above posts i feel alot more optimistic!

I've bought a "Lee" reloading kit and will soon be making my own rounds up!

Yeh, it's an old thread.......

There is nothing wrong with the .204 if you use it for its purpose, but most will find you need a barrel like a flagpole to achieve that and also load your own, and like it or not it is uncommon, unusual, odd, not mainstream, call it what you will, it has also been available a while now and that seems unlikely to change, just the same some will find a use for it.

What I always find interesting, is those that extol the virtues of THEIR calibre, most need a few other calibres/rifles to get some experience, I have several, none stand out because I do a lot of different shooting at a lot of different sites at a lot of different quarry, so they are all excellent at what they do!

Personally, I have no use for a .204 and it would NOT offer me a one gun solution for everything I need to do!

:good:

Quite right Dekers, I've had my 577/450 since I was a boy and can't see a need to change it. Shoot everything with it from mouse to Zulu.

Whats a 577/450 ???

I see now, a Martini-Henry.

"Dekers"? Wrong thread?

Edited by jam1e

I have used most calibers from 17 to 6mm for foxes. All kill, some better than others, but some are easier to shoot accurately than others which is where the high efficiency 20 cals come in. They shoot the same bullet weight as a 22 flatter with less drift especially at longer ranges. My own fox caliber of choice for the last 3+ years, a 20 cal, very very little walks away from it. It has a lifetime kills to cart ratio on foxes of 94% out to just short of 300 yards, crows is probably a bit better as I dont go much over 200 yards with them. My 22.250 was at maybe 75%, certainly missed a fair few with it for sure but it was not the most accurate rifle in the world.

A

I don't have a problem getting .204 ammo. Most places don't stock it as a rule, but they've all said that if i give them a few days notice they will, "get some in for me".

Although my local rfd does keep some in stock, as when i bought the gun from him i asked if he could keep some in for me as he would be my "local rfd". And to be fair i popped in the other day and bought some so fair play to him!

I have just shot my 400th fox with my 204 since i have had it and out of them i have had 3 run and NO more then 20yrds its a spot on cal for what i need. Yes it is a weighty bit of kit with the varmint barrel on but on the other hand its not a stalking rifle. The 39gr sbk group without a problem slowed down or speeded up.

I have had a few rifles over the years and just stuck to the two cals that i have now home loading is the way with the 204.

Might aswell add my two penneth,ive been running a Howa 1500 in 204 for a year or so,,the rifle is spot on shoot's any bullet i feed her on,,32g34g,35g,and the 39g,will do the 40g,but need to work a load up for them,

plenty ammo available,is a popular rifles,dont let the winger's put you off getting a one,we can all go out and buy a 223,etc,but some of us like to be a bit different,thank god,just because you dont own a one dont winge on about ammo etc,each to their own,

reloading is the way to go with the 204,it's a fun hobbie,and let's you run the bullet's you want at speed's to suit your shooting,and your rifle,plenty variety of bullet's to try,so developing a load is easy and get's you shooting your rifle,oki doki.

Ian

£87.00/100 for Hornady 32gr Varmint Express where I go.

Thats a good price! My local rfd wants a quid a shot. Not the worst price i've been quoted. But i'm only at the stage of buying a box of various types to see what suits the gun at the moment. I'm sure he would bring the price down if i bought my max purchase amount, (100 at the moment) if i kept to a single brand. But getting ready to start reloading, so that part probably won't happen...