I'm thrilled to be here

Mostly Harmless

Hello all,

I'm new to PW and relatively new to clay breaking. I shot my first cartridges just after Christmas and fired 50 more a couple of weeks after that. Needless to say, I'm absolutely hooked and can't wait to take up clay shooting as an official hobby.

My wife have birth to my second child on Friday, a baby boy, and I love the thought of us going out shooting together in a few years time. With my son arriving, it does mean that I won't have as much free time as I'd like for shooting, but it will force me to slow down and take things easy, no bad thing for me as I can be prone to spur of the moment decisions when I'm excited about things - which isn't ideal if I want to make sure I really get the right equipment for me.

With that in mind, how soon is too soon for a newbie like me to start all those questions that you're all answered a hundred times before?

Please say hi, speak to you soon.

Cheers.

Hi all, thanks for the welcome. I hate that I gave any kind of chauvinistic impression about only taking my son shooting. Not the case at all, it's just that my son was very much front of mind at the time of posting.

And yes, my name is a Hitchhiker reference. I'm a complete geek where that is concerned.

First question: obviously, I'm investigating my gun options. Now, if I had the means available and they were all in an equal condition, would you recommend a Browning Cynergy our a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1?

Question 2: I've heard lots of good things about Lanbers; especially as a starter gun. So would you spend £400 on a decent one and keep the rest of the money for lessons and practice? Or, does it make sense to get a Browning/Beretta shotgun that's gonna be with me for years,, right from the off?

I have millions more Qs but I needn't ask them all at once.

Thanks again folks, you've made me feel really welcome. And already, that's my favourite thing about this sport.

Cheers, from me and the family.

Where abouts are you based?.

You may find PW members close by, go and have a shoot with them , try differing guns and find the gun you like, rather than the name/make it may be the same but try before you buy.

Welcome to the forum, you will find we are all here to help.

Apart from baby sitting that is.

Welcome aboard and congratulations.

Once you're bitten by the bug you'll never want to stop.

Definitely try before you buy, better to have a cheap well fitting gun that you shoot well with, than trying to making an expensive gun fit. Save the money for cartridges. Well that's what I did.

I've saved a small pot of money ready to buy the 28 bore, when I think my 2 might be interested.

Happy hunting :good:

In terms of 'try before you buy' how does one actually go about doing that?

I'm based just outside of Manchester so MCSC is closest. But I'd be going alone. I know you clay shooters are a friendly bunch, but how feasible is it for a newb to be able to to try out different shotguns?

On a similar note, is it reasonable to expect a gun shop to allow me to fire a gun prior to purchase? And are they geared up to do so?

It's likely I'll be visiting the Cheshire gun room in Stockport in the first instance. Anyone know it or use it?

Thanks folks.