Drey poking

Stealth Stalker

Had a day with the keepers drey poking yesterday, awesome sport and great fun apart from my aching neck, shoulders and back :oops:

We were 'a poking' with aluminium drey poles all 50ft of em and believe me after 2 or 3 dreys I was feeling it :blink:

We done 1 small wood which accounted for all of these tree rats, there's another 6 big woods to go :o . If you ever get the chance give it a go :good:

DSC00550.jpg

45 plus 2 babies, all were gutted ready for inclusion on the menu of the Foragers Arms where we had the PW butchery night, they have a mouthwatering squizzer starter planned :good:

SS

Looks like you got a great bag there. May seem a daft question, why are they all gutted ? I usually leave mine for charlie or take few to lay out for crows.

Great bag, well done. I usually do it on my own without poles, great work and sounds like hard work.

Schmoo.

brill,,,there is that many in the trees behind our house and in the garden aswell,,they have eaten and wrecked my sheds,birdboxes and anything else they can get their teeth into,,so here comes with a AAs410 with scope its now payback time on the squirrels,,,well done looked like a great day :good: :good:

Had a day with the keepers drey poking yesterday, awesome sport and great fun apart from my aching neck, shoulders and back :oops:

We were 'a poking' with aluminium drey poles all 50ft of em and believe me after 2 or 3 dreys I was feeling it :blink:

We done 1 small wood which accounted for all of these tree rats, there's another 6 big woods to go :o . If you ever get the chance give it a go :good:

DSC00550.jpg

45 plus 2 babies, all were gutted ready for inclusion on the menu of the Foragers Arms where we had the PW butchery night, they have a mouthwatering squizzer starter planned :good:

SS

ss how about a squirrel butchery night

well done mate

colin

Looks like you got a great bag there. May seem a daft question, why are they all gutted ? I usually leave mine for charlie or take few to lay out for crows.

Great bag, well done. I usually do it on my own without poles, great work and sounds like hard work.

Schmoo.

sorry schmoo but yes it is a daft question as he said at the bottom of thread they all destined for the pub menu :lol: :lol: :lol:

coln

sorry schmoo but yes it is a daft question as he said at the bottom of thread they all destined for the pub menu :lol: :lol: :lol:

coln

Sorry Colin, yet again I failed to read things properly. Great bag al the same.

I would like to sample that one day.

Schmoo.

Aint never seen so many squizzers in one place, dead or alive. Thats one impressive bag mate.

Would have loved to been out with you with my semi auto. I would have put up with aches an pains

the next day if i had the pleasure of helping shooting that lot. Very well done mate :good: :good:

DD

out of interest, why poke them? sometimes in must be a right pain getting those long poles round other branches. why not just put a shell into the drey?

Tawny / Littls Owl also nest in abandoned dreys - you should always poke 'em to make sure it's squirrels in residence.

squirrel is delicious, a light tender meat which is very palatable to those not used to strong gamey meats. give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

i tend to poach them whole, then pick off the meat as it's a bit fiddly and bone ridden otherwise.