What club do you belong to or......

harrycatcat1

I'm really looking forward to getting involved in the marsh walks and summer activities that GWA does so I'll be as ready as I'll ever be for the forthcoming season. They do a 'young shots' day where I'll be taking my son, and I'm going to download the marsh maps and get to know the local ones. Some of the club land is over the other side of the Severn so a trip over there will be on the cards too.

I'll take my whistle just in case the locals take a fancy to me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season l joined the Fenland Wildfowlers, although it was a bad season l had no regrets, l used to pay for a small bit on the ouse washes now l have access to a couple of hundred acres on the ouse washes and a stretch of coast in the wash for the same money l used to pay for 2 acres, the only drawback is l cant shoot the ground for pidgeons out of season.

Although l never met sid wright l shoot with guys that have shot with him l am told he only gave up going on the marsh fairly recently he must be knocking on a bit now, l am told sid has boxes of goose feet representing every goose he has shot over the years in his shed, a fair few l would think..

Edited by Monynut

• 6 months later...

Although l never met sid wright l shoot with guys that have shot with him l am told he only gave up going on the marsh fairly recently he must be knocking on a bit now, l am told sid has boxes of goose feet representing every goose he has shot over the years in his shed, a fair few l would think..

I'm in Kent, Fenland and Heacham. Can't recommend Fenland enough.

I am in holbeach club, compared to some on here I am a novice of about 34 years. The marsh has changed since the early days. Creeks I used to jump are now far far wider due to tide's opening them up. Nothing to do with me being not so slim and older bones. I remember the Anderson's sprint, everyone wanted to be there first. My favourite spot was 'the Hilton'. That's when you had to walk around the first and second horseshoes. The burrow pits were dug out about the same time. Sid (who incidentally passed away a short time ago) and Frank were still there as guides. I think my first season you could still shoot curlew !! So times have changed but wildfowling is still in my blood and come Sept 1st I am always one of the first to be there. It is still rewarding for me, I do enjoy passing on the minimal amount I have to new member, I say minimal because I have tried to outwit the birds and the marshes but I have never done that. If I could do that then that's the day I hang up my gear.

Great thread gents. I'm still looking for a club so all this reading is helpful. In Bury St Edmunds I'm about 30-50 miles away from at least a dozen top clubs, but they're all at least 30-50 miles away! Deciding which to look at seriously is proving difficult!

North Norfolk is a real gem. It's my lady and I's retreat, go up to Wells and the surrounding villages at least every other month. Always look wistfully out at the beautiful little marshes around Blakeney, Cley and Stiffkey, and hope to retire to there in another 40 years! We stayed in the George at Cley on opening day of this season, and just wished I had some sky to sit under that night!

All the best

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Marc z I could be wrong here , but were you walking your dog last Autumn at Cley ( Wiverton Bank ) and had a chat with a guy ( with a small black lab ) who had just shot 3 canadas out of one flock and your dog helped to retrieve them ?

I could well be wrong , it looks very like you in your photo But it was quite dark at the time.

I am in holbeach club, compared to some on here I am a novice of about 34 years. The marsh has changed since the early days. Creeks I used to jump are now far far wider due to tide's opening them up. Nothing to do with me being not so slim and older bones. I remember the Anderson's sprint, everyone wanted to be there first. My favourite spot was 'the Hilton'. That's when you had to walk around the first and second horseshoes. The burrow pits were dug out about the same time. Sid (who incidentally passed away a short time ago) and Frank were still there as guides. I think my first season you could still shoot curlew !! So times have changed but wildfowling is still in my blood and come Sept 1st I am always one of the first to be there. It is still rewarding for me, I do enjoy passing on the minimal amount I have to new member, I say minimal because I have tried to outwit the birds and the marshes but I have never done that. If I could do that then that's the day I hang up my gear.

And the final statement is what makes a wildfowler :good:

Dee wildfowlers and 4th season as an associate member of M. Bay. its the only fieldsport besides the night fishing for seatrout that i can fully and totally say feeds the very soul of me. A truely wild thing in a truely wild place, with little in the way of garantees or sure things - the way things should be. Sport varies from prodigous to non exististant and all the inbetweens but always the constant anticipation, disapointment followed by elation