What club do you belong to or......

harrycatcat1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inverness & District WA

Hi Gutty Boots,

What areas do you cover as I have thought about going through to have a crack. Always seems to be a good few geese around the Beauly Firth area nearer Inverness around Bunchrew area and along to Alturlie Point. Seen many from the train at various times of the season. 1000+ sitting on the fields near the airport yesterday. Dont they know they should be going to the far north at this time of the year.

Cheers

BBL

No longer a member of a wild fowling club . But was a member of Norwich and district wildfowlers and great yarmouth wildfowlers for many ,many years . To old and lazy now to trudge about halvergate marshes . Meet up at the tin shed and walk down to breydan waters . At first light one the most spectacular wild marsh vistas you will ever see .

Harnser .

No longer a member of a wild fowling club . But was a member of Norwich and district wildfowlers and great yarmouth wildfowlers for many ,many years . To old and lazy now to trudge about halvergate marshes . Meet up at the tin shed and walk down to breydan waters . At first light one the most spectacular wild marsh vistas you will ever see .

Harnser .

Garn boy, yur just a young slip of a lad - Get e out there and be a doin, whydoncha?

Garn boy, yur just a young slip of a lad - Get e out there and be a doin, whydoncha?

Grandalf , I have proberbly some of the best wildfowling you would ever wish for . I can drive down to the lakes and shoot from behind the truck . A special few on here have seen these lakes which are infact irrigation ponds . They are full of ducks and geese all the year round . Not the most challengeing of wildfowling thats why I and my shooting buddy shoot just a few birds a year for the pot .

Harnser .

Hanser , I used to be a member of Gt Yarmouth Wildfowlers and had many great days out on Breydon Water. Not that the bag was ever very full. I grew up shooting on the marshes of the Wavenly Valley and how different it was in those days. If you lived in the village you could shoot the local marshes and I learnt my sport , shooting the pools in the vast reedbeds along the river. Teal , snipe and shoveller were our main quarry along with a few mallard and that never to be forgotten night when I shot my first wigeon under the moon , half seen against a back cloth of laced clouds.

Though now living in N Norfolk I joined Rockland club a few years ago who have some shooting on the very marsh I use to shoot as a boy back in the 1960s. It was magic going back pushing through the dew soaked reeds to stand by the river in the pre dawn hush and find the duck using the same bays and pools today that they did way back when I used a single barrel Hutchinson and Harrison hammer gun. So much has not changed , but then some things have. To get a chance at a goose was very rare and yet today the marshes are full of them in winter , I only ever shot one gadwall back then and again today they are quite common. But on the other hand the marsh used to be alive with snipe and it was not unusual to get a dozen for a couple of hours walking up the dykes , today they are quite scarce with just the odd birds being seen , but anyway the need for 3.5 inch guns for serious wildfowling are not really very suitable for walking up snipe.

Its often said you should never go back to your childhood dreams , but for me that has not held true , and as the first day of a new season dawns and I hear the early quacking of a hen mallard coming through the pre dawn mist swirling down the river , the old magic starts to return and as I slip a couple of shells into the chamber , the excitement of wildfowling for my 47th season is rekindled.

Hanser , I used to be a member of Gt Yarmouth Wildfowlers and had many great days out on Breydon Water. Not that the bag was ever very full. I grew up shooting on the marshes of the Wavenly Valley and how different it was in those days. If you lived in the village you could shoot the local marshes and I learnt my sport , shooting the pools in the vast reedbeds along the river. Teal , snipe and shoveller were our main quarry along with a few mallard and that never to be forgotten night when I shot my first wigeon under the moon , half seen against a back cloth of laced clouds.

Though now living in N Norfolk I joined Rockland club a few years ago who have some shooting on the very marsh I use to shoot as a boy back in the 1960s. It was magic going back pushing through the dew soaked reeds to stand by the river in the pre dawn hush and find the duck using the same bays and pools today that they did way back when I used a single barrel Hutchinson and Harrison hammer gun. So much has not changed , but then some things have. To get a chance at a goose was very rare and yet today the marshes are full of them in winter , I only ever shot one gadwall back then and again today they are quite common. But on the other hand the marsh used to be alive with snipe and it was not unusual to get a dozen for a couple of hours walking up the dykes , today they are quite scarce with just the odd birds being seen , but anyway the need for 3.5 inch guns for serious wildfowling are not really very suitable for walking up snipe.

Its often said you should never go back to your childhood dreams , but for me that has not held true , and as the first day of a new season dawns and I hear the early quacking of a hen mallard coming through the pre dawn mist swirling down the river , the old magic starts to return and as I slip a couple of shells into the chamber , the excitement of wildfowling for my 47th season is rekindled.

I really enjoyed reading this post.

Anser2 ,we are of a kindred spirit . Your post took me back many years to my early days shooting on the acle marshes down to Breydon waters . These beautiful parts of wild Norfolk have always charmed me no matter what the weather . I have walked these marshes in snow storms ,torrential rain and heavy gales and I never failed to be in awe of my surroundings . The solitude of this part of Norfolk could be overpowering but never threatening .

A walk down from the tin shed at halvergate to Breydon was a good hike only to be attempted by the most fittest,and in those days I was as fit as a flea and carried all my kit in an ex army bag with my arms through the carrying handles .

Some times in the early part of the season my mate and me would over night on the marsh . We would go down in the afternoon for the evening flight and stay over until the following morning flight . Eggs and bacon cooked over an open fire in the middle of the night was magic . A walk back to the tin shed was always preceded by a walk along the wiggly -waggly Dyke to flush ducks out . I have some wonderful memories of my early fowling days . My thing I have always regretted is keeping a diary of my fowling and game shooting days .I think that I could have had enough material to have written a half interesting book . Keep on troshen .

Harnser .

I did keep a diary from my second season right up until the mis 80s , running into 6 volumes , but the jottings shrunk from a few pages per outing down to a couple of scribbled lines. Over the past 5 years I have started to write a diary again , this time on the computer. Some of the notes are brief , but then again i sometimes get carried away and it runs into several pages. If you go on the wildfowling forum quite a few days get written up on there.

I did keep a diary from my second season right up until the mis 80s , running into 6 volumes , but the jottings shrunk from a few pages per outing down to a couple of scribbled lines. Over the past 5 years I have started to write a diary again , this time on the computer. Some of the notes are brief , but then again i sometimes get carried away and it runs into several pages. If you go on the wildfowling forum quite a few days get written up on there.

I have read them, they are good :good:

Anser2 ,we are of a kindred spirit . Your post took me back many years to my early days shooting on the acle marshes down to Breydon waters . These beautiful parts of wild Norfolk have always charmed me no matter what the weather . I have walked these marshes in snow storms ,torrential rain and heavy gales and I never failed to be in awe of my surroundings . The solitude of this part of Norfolk could be overpowering but never threatening .

A walk down from the tin shed at halvergate to Breydon was a good hike only to be attempted by the most fittest,and in those days I was as fit as a flea and carried all my kit in an ex army bag with my arms through the carrying handles .

Some times in the early part of the season my mate and me would over night on the marsh . We would go down in the afternoon for the evening flight and stay over until the following morning flight . Eggs and bacon cooked over an open fire in the middle of the night was magic . A walk back to the tin shed was always preceded by a walk along the wiggly -waggly Dyke to flush ducks out . I have some wonderful memories of my early fowling days . one thing I have always regretted is not keeping a diary of my fowling and game shooting days .I think that I could have had enough material to have written a half interesting book . Keep on troshen .

Harnser .

This thread has been a lovely read, thanks gents.

As a young man I shot my first goose and caught my first Sea Trout between the "Whitebridges" twixt Stiffkey and Morston.

You'll know all these names anser2, Bishop, Weston, Wegg, Holman, Matthews?

I'd like to run on about the billiard matches and the Morston Anchor? And you'd definantely know Joey Read?

I don't know what you were doing but I went to school with these brothers.

You'll know John Matthews at B Wildfowlers, but I bet a sheck he hen't gortta keyboard? :D

I've been married twice. The first time was Blakeney and the second time Stiffkey. We have family ancestors buried in the churchyard going back to the 16C. One of which was a Master Marina, the records of the ships and cargoes are with me as as are records of a lot of the shooting and activities on the marsh(s).

BTW are the Wells fowlers MCZ proof? The Blakeney Buoys aren't having any of that ********. :D

Edited by Whitebridges

Hi Whitebridges , I know the area well and am involved with the conservation of the wildlife on the fresh marsh you take your forum name from. The sea trout are still there , we electro fished the river last year and caught almost 100 up to 5lbs. What you might not have known is they are genetically unique race of brown\ sea trout. Living part of their time in the river and part in the estuary channel, going in and out on the tides. I shoot on the salt marsh in front of the river sluices and like you had several geese there , but all greys rather than pinks.

I was in the Anchor yesterday for a pint after completing the wildfowl counts. Still a few wigeon and teal about and one pair of pintail , but the fresh marsh at Whitebridges held 200 pintail , 300 mallard , 1200 wigeon and 2300 teal this winter.

Wells so far is not having any trouble with MCZs and hopefully the Blackney problem will resolve itself without any loss of our shooting . I am a Broadland lad at heart , but having lived close to the N Norfolk coast for the past 35 years almost a native. A lot has changed in that time in wildfowling , but as a whole locally its all for the better with far more geese and duck on the marshes today than when I first started. When I first started we had no pinks , but on the right day you can see 40,000 coming off the sands at dawn.

Are you still in Blackney Club by any chance.