cracked hands

mikky

My missus (amanda) has had problems with cracked skin on her hands for years, amanda's a fish farmer and her hands are constantly in and out of the water which dries and cracks them, well i think she must have tried so many lotions and creams over the years to no real avail :unsure: . Recently her niece gave her some cream to try and amanda is raving on about it beacause it's the first thing that has really worked, i'll try to find out what it is later and post back :good:

Sudocrem might be a go-er as well, it's antiseptic as well as moisturising so, if there is any infection (might well be if you are using sandpaper!) then it will hit that as well. Normally for nappy rash, but I've used it for various things and it's great. A bit like E45 in that it does an awful lot and won't break the bank either.

been suffering from cracked and split skin on the palm of my hands...have to use sand paper to get the hard skin off every night...if i dont in the morning my hands are so dry that they just crack and split ...tried different potions and lotions,been to the docs but nothing seems to work..

any ideas to cure it

mikky

give olive oil a go mikky its natural.

I use a Beeswax based cream - Dry stone walling dries my hands pretty badly when I do a lot of it and when they start to play up that has been the best cure.

At the moment I'm using Starkies Beesway Cream and it's very good. I've also used Burt's and that gave a similar result. Apparently the Starkies has a money back guarantee if it doesn't work... Could be a good one to start with?

EDIT.... Get a free tub Here

Edited by njc110381

sounds like you might have a vitimin defficiency...what has the doc said.?

Barrier creams are no good for dry or cracked skin they just soften them up for a while and can actually prevent healing.

I understand the skin cannot absorb anything or at least thats what my sister in law ( dermatolgist ) tells me which is why all these anti aging and anti wrinkle creams that our dear loved ones spend all our money on are absolutely useless.

Do you get sufficient vitimin C ?

Try and get some lanolin it works great.

My hands are like alligators oven gloves and look awful when out for a meal with the missus.

Ate figgy

Ps if you find something that works better than sugestions let the rest of us know.

I think the bit we are missing is what causes the problem. All of the general creams will give symptomatic relief. They will be absorbed and the skin can absorb a vast array of chemicals - part of my job. Some of the steroid creams will change the skin but even those won't continue to work if you haven't diagnosed the underlying problem.

So tell us more about the problem, when it occurs, when it doesn't etc. Does it affect just your palms or the fingers too. Is it just dry or red as well - can you post a picture.

Just as an example, I worked with epoxy resins for many years. They didn't cause me any problems at the time. Now, if I mix even a little araldite and get some on my finger tips the skin will go dry and break up and flake in a day or so. The simple cure is for me to wear gloves when I use any epoxy resins - problem solved. I'm not saying this is your problem but you need to sort out the cause or actual skin condition.

In the meantime, almost any of the suggestions should give you some relief . lanolin based products, shea butter products, Neutrogena's Norwegian formula and so on, should all be a help.

And using sand paper may be making the problem worse.

Father in law used to have really bad hacks on his hands but using a wee drop of glycerine every night on his hands sorted them out no bother. You need to ask at the chemist for some pharmacutical glycerine and tell them what it is for or they will think you are making dynamite!!!

All the best Mikky :good::good::good:

Pushkin :yes:

I use Synalar Gel from the doctors. Not the cream version, that didn't work. It's the only thing I can get to work but it's a steroid so some doctors won't give you it on repeat prescription becuase it can make the skin on your hands thin if you use it too much. As Fisherman Mike said, I also though I had a vitamin deficiency so was taking vitamin tablets plus flaxseed oil tablets. They seemed to work at first but soon stopped. Some washing powders make mine worse aswell but I can usually tell if it's that because they start itching like mad.

I use a Beeswax based cream - Dry stone walling dries my hands pretty badly when I do a lot of it and when they start to play up that has been the best cure.

At the moment I'm using Starkies Beesway Cream and it's very good. I've also used Burt's and that gave a similar result. Apparently the Starkies has a money back guarantee if it doesn't work... Could be a good one to start with?

EDIT.... Get a free tub Here

cheers...just sent off for a free sample

mikky :good: :good:

Final thoughts - my hands cracked unmercifully when I washed up without gloves or used detergents (to clean really oily hands etc).

The reaction I had was similar to excema. I tried olive oil and sugar (softens and allows olive oil to get to the softer tissue).

In the end, as others have said, STOP using the high strength detergents, they are toxic on sensitive skin. Sometimes the condition results from, or, more usually is made worse by, stressful circumstances.

So stop using detergents, use Burts bees or the other type you have sent for - occassional rub with sugar and olive oil and make sure you have a beer at night to 'keep calm'.

Oh DONT use sandpaper.

I found I am allergic to chromium (the metal additive in stainless steel) and also in tanning leather goods. It may actually be something as simple as stuff you are frequently touching during the day or at work.

Allergy to chromium (coins) is quite common - Money bags Mikky !

ATB