night vision copy

stubby

ok, so got my 16mm lens, and fitted in camera, you then need to make a spacer so the lens is around 35mm away from the rear scope lens, half hour in the shed with me cutting up different bits of pipe and I had a workable unit, that can be slid on/off the scope with ease, connecting up the wires we had a perfect set of crosshairs in centre of screen, on moving out into the garden, I could easily zoom in to the chimney pots a good 100yds away, and then focus with the parellel adjuster on front of scope, side wheel ones are better/easier, but beggars cant be choosers.

a short clip below, fitted to my ruger 10-22 yes a silencer will be added when out, give it another 8hrs or so and I can do a night time test, I'll be using my normal lamp with a piece of ir filter cut to size

so far this has cost £52.50, as already had power source,filter/lamp etc, and a few hours tinkering

no rabbits were harmed in the making of this video :lol:

http://youtu.be/7Haioaq56wY

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

christ, thought it would take forever to go dark, but heres some night time footage, a bit grainy on my mobile phone, and you'll have to belive me on how good it is, video's a bit shakey, a mixture of cold and excitment, still awaiting a fitting to mount lamp on this scope, but I think its the mutts nutts, and a saving of around £350 :D on shop bought item

I found the time to get mine up and running last night, so far it has costr a grand total of £39 including the IR filter for my scope and aprox 15mins of work. I will post some pictures once I have tidied it up. I plan to connect the screen to the camera via a 3.5mm jack leadso it is easy to disconnect and remove. I will use the power connector supplied with the screen to bring the power so i can choose to connect it to my lamp battery or to the trucks cigarette lighter socket. When iot is all finished it will have cost less than £45 and will hopefully have taken less than an hours work. :D

Edited by stumpy69

Ive had a couple of PM's asking for the list of stuff to make the NV. I will complete my build (hopefully tonight and then post all the bits and pieces required to make it. Dont want to tell people to buy the stuff to find it does not work. My build will envolve a bit of soldering but should be very compact and neat.

Ive had a couple of PM's asking for the list of stuff to make the NV. I will complete my build (hopefully tonight and then post all the bits and pieces required to make it. Dont want to tell people to buy the stuff to find it does not work. My build will envolve a bit of soldering but should be very compact and neat.

Cheers just what I need .

Fianlly got my NV up and running. Took a bit longer to complete as through stupidity I fried a camera and had to wait for a new one to arrive. I will sort out the list of the parts I used. If I had not fried the first camera I would have completed this in under half an hour. In the end actuall build time was still under an hour. Hopefully my pictures workpost-54134-0-19276300-1335340934.jpgpost-54134-0-52420100-1335340947.jpg

Edited by stumpy69

What sort of range are you getting please?

Not sure what range yet will be testing at the weekend when I will be at my barn range.

Ok, the parts required

Camera

Screen

Lens

IR Filter (to replace the lens in your lamp)Needs to be cut to size

Jack cable extension

For the housing

Probably depends on the diameter of your scope.

Mine is 41mm aprox so used this

40mm Push fit coupling I removed the O ring from one side and it is a snug fit over my scope.

2 x 40mm push fit stop ends these both had the stop skirt buts cut off and one has a hole cut to fit the lens through. The one with the hole is glued i place where tha camera gives a clear picture and the other has two holes drilled to allow the two cables to exit and pushed it to seal the unit.

I currently have a 22mm pipe clip to mount my screen, might replace this, but as it does the job Im happy with it the way it is now.

nice to see a hijacked post rather than leaving one's own :no:

Sorry didn't realise this was the 'Stubby night vision copy' thread. I thought forums were to pose questions, do comparisons, discussions amongst others. :hmm: I thought this would have been the ideal place for comparisons of peoples night vision concoctions? Its saves having multiple posts on the same subject.

Not sure what range yet will be testing at the weekend when I will be at my barn range.

Ok, the parts required

Camera

Screen

Lens

Jack cable extension

For the housing

40mm Push fit coupling I removed the O ring from one side and it is a snug fit over my scope.

2 x 40mm push fit stop ends these both had the stop skirt buts cut off and one has a hole cut to fit the lens through. The one with the hole is glued i place where tha camera gives a clear picture and the other has two holes drilled to allow the two cables to exit and pushed it to seal the unit.

I currently have a 22mm pipe clip to mount my screen, might replace this, but as it does the job Im happy with it the way it is now.

Have you stripped the guts out of the camera to fit it into that end cap?

Have you stripped the guts out of the camera to fit it into that end cap?

when I made mine the lights (IR) were taped over as these wouldent be used, hole was drilled in end cap (old telescopic cover) the size of the lens, the lens was then pushed through and the camera and cap and pipe were covered in black electrical tape, the size of that camera is only about 40mmx25mm its tiny

when I made mine the lights (IR) were taped over as these wouldent be used, hole was drilled in end cap (old telescopic cover) the size of the lens, the lens was then pushed through and the camera and cap and pipe were covered in black electrical tape, the size of that camera is only about 40mmx25mm its tiny

Ok I see that, Stumpy seems to have got his set up a bit smaller by housing the camera in the cap on the back of the tele sight(?)

Ok, the parts required

Camera

Screen

Lens

Jack cable extension

For the housing

Next question,

Could these be put together with some kind of magnifying lens to make a spotter.

Please note there is no bail twine required :lol: :lol: :lol:

The sole reason I haven't started mine is that I can't decide between blue or red twine.

Stands to reason it wont work without twine - Nothing in Suffolk does!

Thought I taught you that on Lesson 1.