62 yards pigeon

ben456

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks all.... iv been hitting paper for a long time at all ranges.And seem to getting a 5p grouping with 8 pellets at 65yards so that's why i go for long range shot's its a risk sometimes if there are branches in the way of a head shot or a heart shot.But i wait for that right moment.Im used to long range shot's now and i have shoot a rabbit today at 56 yards lazer range finded clean head shot coulden't wish for a better shot and the pellet went straight though the head.Also when im out shooing targets what i do is put 5p with a hole in hanged by wire at ranges them up to 60yards.And if i do static hunting i pick thing's to shoot such as small marking on trees,bottle lids and su on.So im mostly smack on.I have wounded a rabbit before and a pigeon but now i hardley miss.I think for me to shoot at this range is somthing to be proud of.Hopefully i can prove it when i get my new video camrea

THIS IS THE ONE I SHOOT TODAY 56 YARDS/NOW HE'S IN THE POT FOR MY DOG

I have my doubts about 5 pence groupings at 65 yards - how many fliers do you get?

I don't think that an air rifle is capable of doing that consistently except perhaps on a range with very expensive, individually packed pellets which I understand the target shooters use. Pellets vary, they are flimsy and easily damaged and hence I don't think that sort of grouping is possible at the distance you're talking about, not even allowing for a tiny bit of wind to send them a long way off course.

I'm not saying I've never taken a shot at something where it's been pushing the range - I've shot at crows 180 yards away with a .22lr - but shooting rabbits at 56 yards with a non FAC air gun is in my view irresponsible. If I took the same long shot at 150 yards with a .22lr, 400 yards with a .17HMR etc and hit it anywhere in the body, it might wound it but much more likely to kill it than if the same happens with an air gun, which might leave it injured but not quite kill it. Air gun power is hardly enough at the muzzle, it does not allow room for error - and the best shots in the world pull shots, and that's before allowing for equipment failure.

Edit - just to add that it's not even allowing for the fact that the air gun pellet will have taken 0.23 of a second to reach the target, a lot can happen in that time, like the target moving. And even with a 1 mph wind at that distance it would drift 0.63", 3.13" at 5mph. That's a lot of drift.

These comments regarding pigeons being a pest and not needing respect - I understand where it comes from, and yes any quarry might be injured if shot, but you shouldn't take a shot unless the chances of a quick kill or a clean miss outweigh the chance of a nasty wound.

What's the difference between a rat, pigeon, squirrel, fox or deer - what makes it acceptable to leave one to limp off injured and die a horrible death but not another species? They are all shot for similar reasons, sport or pest control.

Edited by bedwards1966

Seen videos from well respected member of another forum. Think his name is verminsniper or similar constantly hitting a bottle at around 80yrds with a sub 12 bsa ultra, he was outdoors too.

I seriously doubt he would condone such practice on live targets mind.

Karpman

Reading through some of these posts, I wonder how many of those who berate others for calling pigeons vermin and not respecting them would be happy to poison a rat and let it die a slow lingering death.

I have shot birds that have flown away yet clearly badly hit and I know they will die eventually.

The farmer doesn't care, its one that won't be eating his crops tomorrow and that's why I have permission to shoot.

Finally, nice shot fella.

Totally agree with what your saying, but the power of the rifle si was using, i v much doubt would wound a pigeon even at 277 yards. It was destroyed, toast wherever he hit it.

That may be the case but at that range there is still a (Very slim admittedly) chance that Si could have pulled a shot and left a wounded animal. You could even go to Si-Bore's thread in the sporting video section "Rabbit shooting footage from today" where he shoots at rabbits out to 640 yards - Even with the rifle that Si is using please don't tell me that a kill is guaranteed at that range and there is no possibility of a wounded animal. The possibility of wounding a rabbit at that range with the rifle that Si is using is just as great as the possibility of wounding a pigeon at 62 yards with an air rifle.

Some members seems to think that some shooters taking shoots at live quarry is fine at ranges out to 640 yards yet other members want to tell Ben that shooting a pigeon at 62 yards with an air rifle is not really on, that to me really is double standards!

I'm a farmer and as far as I'm concerned you can wound the bloody lot of them!

If you only think you might be able to kill it, take the shot.

These people that say you must have respect, mustn't pull the trigger if you are not 100% sure of a clean kill etc. they are talking ****.

It's them that should stick to paper punching.

Fantastic shot mate, well done and hope you do it again many times. :good:

Maybe you should stick to ploughing spuds then. We have all had pricked birds, but we know the odds. To say people are talking **** because they want have resoect for what they are shooting?? Well, thats not a very good attitude is it? You are telling us that you really dont care if an animal suffers because of us taking shots we really shouldnt. Again, thats not a very nice way to see things. All animals deserve a clean, quick death if they are to be killed. If it was a shot that he could make again and again, then great, but it still does not mean its right. Just because you can, does it mean you should?

Some members seems to think that some shooters taking shoots at live quarry is fine at ranges out to 640 yards yet other members want to tell Ben that shooting a pigeon at 62 yards with an air rifle is not really on, that to me really is double standards!

No, that is (according to your post) one group of people saying it is ok to push the limits on live quarry and another group saying it isnt. Double standards would be the same members saying one is ok and the other isnt.

Even then, this is only an internet forum, so most of the "gr8 vid m8" comments you get on the videos section are just mouth-music from people looking to up their post count, so I wouldnt want to use it to gauge actual ethical opinions.

Fair play and good shot. Groups of 5p with a .177 are perfectly achievable given a consistent shooting position and quality ammo, a PCP is entirely capable of repeatedly delivering a pellet to the same place with only minor fps variations.

I've spent hours on a range working out exact aimpoints and POI for 5 yard intervals out to 65 yards, I've got a label on the inside of my flip-up cover with all the points marked out. Given the right conditions I'll take a shot over those sorts of distance, I've done it before and not had a second twitch from the quarry.

I think people are too focused on discouraging new shooters from over stretching themselves to acknowledge what a PCP is capable of, either that or they are limited by their own inability. Every shot you take is capable of wounding if you get a flier, you would be lying if you said that you haven't ever had to chase down a 30 yard sitter because it skipped towards home.

Edited by Tug

I have my doubts about 5 pence groupings at 65 yards - how many fliers do you get?

I don't think that an air rifle is capable of doing that consistently except perhaps on a range with very expensive, individually packed pellets which I understand the target shooters use. Pellets vary, they are flimsy and easily damaged and hence I don't think that sort of grouping is possible at the distance you're talking about, not even allowing for a tiny bit of wind to send them a long way off course.

I'm not saying I've never taken a shot at something where it's been pushing the range - I've shot at crows 180 yards away with a .22lr - but shooting rabbits at 56 yards with a non FAC air gun is in my view irresponsible. If I took the same long shot at 150 yards with a .22lr, 400 yards with a .17HMR etc and hit it anywhere in the body, it might wound it but much more likely to kill it than if the same happens with an air gun, which might leave it injured but not quite kill it. Air gun power is hardly enough at the muzzle, it does not allow room for error - and the best shots in the world pull shots, and that's before allowing for equipment failure.

Edit - just to add that it's not even allowing for the fact that the air gun pellet will have taken 0.23 of a second to reach the target, a lot can happen in that time, like the target moving. And even with a 1 mph wind at that distance it would drift 0.63", 3.13" at 5mph. That's a lot of drift.

These comments regarding pigeons being a pest and not needing respect - I understand where it comes from, and yes any quarry might be injured if shot, but you shouldn't take a shot unless the chances of a quick kill or a clean miss outweigh the chance of a nasty wound.What's the difference between a rat, pigeon, squirrel, fox or deer - what makes it acceptable to leave one to limp off injured and die a horrible death but not another species? They are all shot for similar reasons, sport or pest control.

A sentence containing pot and kettle springs to mind here. I wonder how many subsonics you could get into a 30mm rabbit kill zone at 180 yards.

You sound FAC elitist to me. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dave-G

If you can put the pellet over a 5p at 62 yards, i would rather see it go over a chronograph at that distance,

lets see the maths on the foot poundage delivered downrange....

If you can do this then might I suggest going for Olympic gold in London !!! ???

Can't someone look on that chair gun thing and see what ft/lb the pellet would be hitting with at that sort of range, I might be wrong but don't you need to be shooting stuff at more than 5/6 ft/lb to be legal? Or does it just have to be above that at the muzzle.

I think it's a good shot if you judge it on the distance and size of taget but its not one I'd personally take. Well done though.

Fair play and good shot. Groups of 5p with a .177 are perfectly achievable given a consistent shooting position and quality ammo, a PCP is entirely capable of repeatedly delivering a pellet to the same place with only minor fps variations.

I've spent hours on a range working out exact aimpoints and POI for 5 yard intervals out to 65 yards, I've got a label on the inside of my flip-up cover with all the points marked out. Given the right conditions I'll take a shot over those sorts of distance, I've done it before and not had a second twitch from the quarry.

I think people are too focused on discouraging new shooters from over stretching themselves to acknowledge what a PCP is capable of, either that or they are limited by their own inability. Every shot you take is capable of wounding if you get a flier, you would be lying if you said that you haven't ever had to chase down a 30 yard sitter because it skipped towards home.

I've done it before and not had a second twitch from the quarry :hmm: