62 yards pigeon

ben456

Reckon your right. :yes: However, the point is he pulled of a cracking shot, humane and skilled. There will be plenty of others on here who have tried at much less range and wounded the quarry with a variety of weapons. Within reason, range to me is irrelevant. Its wether the guy behind the gun is skilled at what he does. When we pull the trigger, most of the time we believe we can hit the target. Look at what is considered a good cart/kill ratio, 2-1? Congratulations all round if its that low :yes: So what happened to the 260 pellets from the cartridge that missed?

I am just an average shot, and I can pop a.177 pellet into a 20mm circle at 55yds in what I consider perfect conditions through my hw100 8 out of ten times. Thats a far better average than 2-1 with a shotgun :yes: People in glass houses imho :yes:

agree totally, tell me who hasn,t wounded a pigeon between 20 to 30 yards over decoys :rolleyes:

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a farmer and as far as I'm concerned you can wound the bloody lot of them!

If you only think you might be able to kill it, take the shot.

These people that say you must have respect, mustn't pull the trigger if you are not 100% sure of a clean kill etc. they are talking ****.

It's them that should stick to paper punching.

Fantastic shot mate, well done and hope you do it again many times. :good:

:good::good::good: i agree, if i think a pigeon or crow is in any sort of hittable range i will take the shot, and i do think some people come out with the usual coments of only shoot if your sure of the kill, or always respect the bird, just because they think its the right thing to say. nice to hear a farmers opinion, if most of you were farmers im sure you might have differant opinions.

finally someone with some sense, the farmer gives us permission to clear up the pigeons. if you turn around and say i didn't shoot cos i didn,t think i could kill it the farmer will quickly realise he/she needs someone else to protect there crops [our food[]. for the lad who shot the long range pigeon. well done i suggest his fieldcraft and airgun experience are top notch simply because its all hes got. ie no fac with rimfire etc. not trying to cause arguments but i work for farmers and in the past have worked first hand with farmers and understand the damage such pests can cause. i have shot with pcp only for long time and respect their accuracy.

atb aga man

:good::good::good: i agree, if i think a pigeon or crow is in any sort of hittable range i will take the shot, and i do think some people come out with the usual coments of only shoot if your sure of the kill, or always respect the bird, just because they think its the right thing to say. nice to hear a farmers opinion, if most of you were farmers im sure you might have differant opinions.

Air rifles are all about pellet placement as they are very low powered compared to firearms and if you miss by 1" a pigeon can still fly off to die an hour later. Shotguns are different as if you miss with the first shot you've still got at least 1 more shot available per bird - so 1 in 2 ain't a bad ratio if you've got a second shot.

Also, how many of you would take shots at 65 yards with a shotty?

Air rifles are all about pellet placement as they are very low powered compared to firearms and if you miss by 1" a pigeon can still fly off to die an hour later. Shotguns are different as if you miss with the first shot you've still got at least 1 more shot available per bird - so 1 in 2 ain't a bad ratio if you've got a second shot.

Also, how many of you would take shots at 65 yards with a shotty?

if it dies an hour later, so be it, its still dead, the same can easily happen with a shotgun, and iv shot many a pigeon at that sort of range before and folded them up in the air, think of that what you will.

if it dies an hour later, so be it, its still dead, the same can easily happen with a shotgun, and iv shot many a pigeon at that sort of range before and folded them up in the air, think of that what you will.

my point exactly! so has george didweed or any body else : :rolleyes:

Edited by aga man

good shot mate, shot one today at 52 yds with aas200 was windy too aimed high and factored in the wind did nt think i would hit it to be honest but killed it stone dead. :yes: if you happen to wound it, its only a pigeon [ an agricultural pest], i think everyone has pricked them with a shotgun at sometime. even seen george digweed wound them on video and no one can doubt his shooting :no:

ok, look at it this way. What if you took a long shot at a deer, wounded it and it ran off. Well, its only a deer. (an agricultural pest as well) would you still be happy to make such comments? personaly, thats too long a shot to take with an air rifle, and trust me, i know how to shoot.

ok, look at it this way. What if you took a long shot at a deer, wounded it and it ran off. Well, its only a deer. (an agricultural pest as well) would you still be happy to make such comments? personaly, thats too long a shot to take with an air rifle, and trust me, i know how to shoot.

would ,nt take that sort of shot at at a deer as metioned inn an earlier post. an air rifle and woodpigeon sin't the same ball park as deer and suitable rifle ask anyone. as i said not trying to cause arguments to praising the lad for his air rifle efforts. ps no doubt you know how to shoot!ask the farmers there opion after all its them who provide most of us with our sport anyway!

atb aga man

Edited by aga man

would ,nt take that sort of shot at at a deer as metioned inn an earlier post. an air rifle and woodpigeon sin't the same ball park as deer and suitable rifle ask anyone. as i said not trying to cause arguments to praising the lad for his air rifle efforts. ps no doubt you know how to shoot!ask the farmers there opion after all its them who provide most of us with our sport anyway!

atb aga man

I've heard this a few times and I can't see any reason why, is it because it's smaller, or because it's a bird? If it's ok to take 'suck-it-and-see' shot at a pigeon why not at a deer if it results in a death an hour or so later? Again, I'm not having a go, we all have our own values and ideas on what is acceptable - I don't like taking risky shots at distances farther than my rifle can cope with, but I did when I was younger.

(Plus, it isn't a woodpigeon).

Im pretty sure id hit a dear at 62yrds with an airgun but not a pigeon head.....but as we have seen many a time on pw people say they can do long range shots but seing is believing....and people perception of a yard is different to mine.

Well, I surpose it really is time for the pop corn, isn't it! Some of you guys really amaze me!

We have a new member who has shot a pigeon at 62 yards and a few of you want to spend your time telling why he should not have taken the shot because of the chance of wounding it! That might well be a fair comment if you overlooked a video by Si-Bore titled "Rabbit shooting footage from today" where he and his shooting partner were shooting rabbits from 310 metres out to 640 yards, (which in my opinion is an extreme show of marksmanship in the highest order.) On that thread there is not one comment that is condemming him for extreme range shooting at live quarry! So come on guys, try explaining why you want to put a new lad down for a 62 yard shot at a pigeon but it is fine for another shooter to take rabbits at 640 yards - The chance of wounding is far far greater at those sort of ranges yet it is fine by you all there. Before you start saying that rabbits are a bigger target Si-Bore also has a video of him shooting a pigeon at 277 yards - Surely he had more chance of just wounding it at that range than Ben had of wounding his pigeon at 62 yards!

I have always complimented Si-Bore on his marksmanship even though I have admitted that it is not my cup of tea, and I will happily compliment Ben on an extremely fine shot so if any of you want to fault me for that then go ahead and try!

It's high time some of you started to show some sort of consistency in your replies rather than congratulating one guy for extremely good shooting at live quarry and then faulting another for exactly the same thing (All be it at much lesser ranges)!

Well, I surpose it really is time for the pop corn, isn't it! Some of you guys really amaze me!

We have a new member who has shot a pigeon at 62 yards and a few of you want to spend your time telling why he should not have taken the shot because of the chance of wounding it! That might well be a fair comment if you overlooked a video by Si-Bore titled "Rabbit shooting footage from today" where he and his shooting partner were shooting rabbits from 310 metres out to 640 yards, (which in my opinion is an extreme show of marksmanship in the highest order.) On that thread there is not one comment that is condemming him for extreme range shooting at live quarry! So come on guys, try explaining why you want to put a new lad down for a 62 yard shot at a pigeon but it is fine for another shooter to take rabbits at 640 yards - The chance of wounding is far far greater at those sort of ranges yet it is fine by you all there. Before you start saying that rabbits are a bigger target Si-Bore also has a video of him shooting a pigeon at 277 yards - Surely he had more chance of just wounding it at that range than Ben had of wounding his pigeon at 62 yards!

I have always complimented Si-Bore on his marksmanship even though I have admitted that it is not my cup of tea, and I will happily compliment Ben on an extremely fine shot so if any of you want to fault me for that then go ahead and try!

It's high time some of you started to show some sort of consistency in your replies rather than congratulating one guy for extremely good shooting at live quarry and then faulting another for exactly the same thing (All be it at much lesser ranges)!

Totally agree with what your saying, but the power of the rifle si was using, i v much doubt would wound a pigeon even at 277 yards. It was destroyed, toast wherever he hit it.

thanks frenchieboy im going out later to group a 8 shot grouping at 65 yards within a 5p are video it and see if that changes people mind and i will show what gun im useing in the video.Im happy with the shot's im taking.I don't think im better then any body eles with air rifle's.I just shoot every day and i have had a lot of practist in the last 5years.That's why i can take these kind of long shot's and be sussfull in the shot placement.Iv took some shot's on here what no body would belive like a few month's ago i took a crow at 53 yards of the bi-pod and all i could see was a bit of his head as the rest was covered by brances but if people don't belive me that's up to them iv done so that's that.THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENT'S IT'S GOOD TO HEAR A LOAD INSTEAD OF THE SAME ONE

And the one's that said im telling a lie about the grouping will hopefully be provun wrong later today.and that's if my video is prof for you im not trying to argue with anybody but i hate getting called a lier atb

Can't see a problem my self, he took the shot and killed the Target out right fair play...

There's a video on here of someone clipping a Maggie at some 300 yrds or so with a 17hmr bloom of feathers bird flew off, who's to say that did not fly off to suffer some place with a nasty but not fatal flesh wound..

No nasty comments on that page, an air rifle at 62 yrds is pushing it a bit for my tastes especially for a head/neck shot. But bloody good shot it was well done.

As for I'd of the the bird picture is not big enough or comprehensive enough for me to say.

Karpman