Would a AR -15 be a suitable foxing rifle in .223

welshdragon77

Nope not suitable and a terrible choice, oh no shock horror why did he say that you ask.... well it goes like this, AR15`s as you know are a straight pull rifle and you need to let the charging handle go to make sure the round is chambered properly, this action results in a massive clunking sound especially at night scaring everything for miles, i had a mini-14 in .223 and it went quickly due to the same reason.

hope that helps.

P.S the caliber is fine.

Nope not suitable and a terrible choice, oh no shock horror why did he say that you ask.... well it goes like this, AR15`s as you know are a straight pull rifle and you need to let the charging handle go to make sure the round is chambered properly, this action results in a massive clunking sound especially at night scaring everything for miles, i had a mini-14 in .223 and it went quickly due to the same reason.

hope that helps.

P.S the caliber is fine.

I had this issue with my AR when i took it out, but it was easily over come by simply loading the chamber with a single round by hand (no magazine inserted), lowering the bolt carefully (then pushing the charging handle forward to make sure it was fully closed - mine had a cocking handle actually attached to the bolt, but if you have one with only the T-bar charging handle they normally have the forward assist mechanism which you can use for this), then putting in a magazine with a few rounds in, in case follow up shots were needed. A bit more of a carry on than with a standard bolt-action but nothing ridiculous. :good:

N.B. I wouldn't by an AR-15 AS a foxing rifle, i used to mainly use mine for target shooting but got the pest control condition added when a friend who owns a fair bit of land was having problems with foxes killing her chickens, as it was the only suitable calibre rifle i had at the time, thats what i used

Edited by Breastman

I had this issue with my AR when i took it out, but it was easily over come by simply loading the chamber with a single round by hand (no magazine inserted), lowering the bolt carefully (then pushing the charging handle forward to make sure it was fully closed - mine had a cocking handle actually attached to the bolt, but if you have one with only the T-bar charging handle they normally have the forward assist mechanism which you can use for this), then putting in a magazine with a few rounds in, in case follow up shots were needed. A bit more of a carry on than with a standard bolt-action but nothing ridiculous. :good:

Bolt action it is then. :D:lol:

N.B. I wouldn't by an AR-15 AS a foxing rifle, i used to mainly use mine for target shooting but got the pest control condition added when a friend who owns a fair bit of land was having problems with foxes killing her chickens, as it was the only suitable calibre rifle i had at the time, thats what i used

I was talking to Robert Bucknell(who has shot one or two foxes)at a BASC evening,and he used this method for the first round in the days before CF semi's were banned(think he had an Armalite).It's not a big issue and very quick once you've done it a few times.

My Mini 14 (semi-auto) was a superb fox gun! Prior to the 1988 amendment act that is. Especially when i had the 30 round mag attatched :lol: . Seriously though i would stick to a coventional bolt action in 223. Its a great foxing calibre :good:

ATB,

Pat

Well I had a handle of a custom version a couple of years ago, lovelly for inside a truck with a cracking Giselle trigger. Its owner has the choice of several rifles for his foxes, the one that gets used most is the AR15. How often do you want a fast follow up ?, almost never. I can remember one in the last 10 years, 22LR rimfire excepted. The bull pups are nice rifles to shoot when in confined spaces, however resale value will be limited so I would probably go for a conventional bolt action myself.

I would suggest AR15s etc are addictive, to handle one is to want one so be warned.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Ive ordered an S.G.C Speedmaster, which I should hopefully get within the next two weeks. Will be used for foxing. My neighbour has one and Ive been out with him quite a few times and have never found it any bother. I think what you have to consider is whether you are going to be shooting from vehicle, when prone and general "stalking".

When Ive been out with him, we have clean kills out to 450yds and that is from a vantage point where known paths are for the foxes.

I cant say Id use it to walk 100 acres though!

If you do look at some AR's, forget the rear charging handle ones!

Its really YOUR choice! The advice is not bad advice though.

Wil

Ive ordered an S.G.C Speedmaster, which I should hopefully get within the next two weeks. Will be used for foxing. My neighbour has one and Ive been out with him quite a few times and have never found it any bother. I think what you have to consider is whether you are going to be shooting from vehicle, when prone and general "stalking".

When Ive been out with him, we have clean kills out to 450yds and that is from a vantage point where known paths are for the foxes.

I cant say Id use it to walk 100 acres though!

If you do look at some AR's, forget the rear charging handle ones!

Its really YOUR choice! The advice is not bad advice though.

Wil

i had a speedmaster...wish i had never sold it :blush:

cautionary note...when i went to the gun shop they had to make a phone call as to whether a straight pull was classed as a bolt action

mikky

Edited by mikky

Are there "gook's in the wire" behind the foxes? :hmm:

In all seriousness the AR's I've handled and shot have been a joy - although all have been in the US and were the semi-auto versions, I guess any tactical rifle will have the good point of being hard wearing and easily maintained but really the same can be said of a synthetic bolt action rifle.

Regards,

Gixer

i had a speedmaster...wish i had never sold it :blush:

cautionary note...when i went to the gun shop they had to make a phone call as to whether a straight pull was classed as a bolt action

mikky

I just put rifle down when renewal came. I spoke to the bobby dealing with me who wasn't staying long in the job and left it as plain as I could rather than stating it is a bolt action.

I'll post a few pics when I get it, have a few add one and a T8 , cost for me as I can get vat back is 1300 and that was specked up too.

Wil

Whats the cost of an AR-15 then?

New £800-2000++. I had a SGC Speedmaster with all the toys match barrel etc etc which was £1600, then I spent at least another grand on it getting every imaginable accessory, and that was before Magpul got big over here! They can turn into very expensive little numbers!