Is this why we live in such a throw away society

TaxiDriver

I'd thought I'd buy some new shaverheads for my rechargable Phillips shaver today,

Got the right part number from the manual (you really need a manual for a shaver ??? )

Blooming Heck.....£44 for just the 3 little round bladed bits and the foil heads :o :o

New rechargable shaver.........£49 (ok yes there is fancier/more expensive models upto £199)

I'd thought I'd buy some new shaverheads for my rechargable Phillips shaver today,

Got the right part number from the manual (you really need a manual for a shaver ??? )

Blooming Heck.....£44 for just the 3 little round bladed bits and the foil heads :o :o

New rechargable shaver.........£49 (ok yes there is fancier/more expensive models upto £199)

The old man got stung by this last year and we all had a similar reaction to you - disbelief. It's not limited to shavers just about everything is made to last a certain number of hours before throwing away - the make do and mend era has long gone and I'm probably too young at 28 to have ever experienced at all. I really can't see how it can remain like this indefinitely and would really like to see a change of attitude to throwing stuff away within my lifetime.

Edited by paul99

The old man got stung by this last year and we all had a similar reaction to you - disbelief. It's not limited to shavers just about everything is made to last a certain number of hours before throwing away - the make do and mend era has long gone and I'm probably too young at 28 to have ever experienced at all. I really can't see how it can remain like this indefinitely and would really like to see a change of attitude to throwing stuff away within my lifetime.

Same here, my father in law bought a Phillips electric shaver in the US back in the 70's which he still uses to this day so it can be done. Last month I nearly bought a replacement foil/blades for my Remington shaver which typically costs £24.99 but thought I'd just google a price for the exact new model, guess what, £24.99 off ebay for one that merely lacked the original box :yes: . It really is madness, in a few decades there will be laws for product longevity and spares being a sensible price.

Lock in the handle on the canopy of the pick up has bust so unable to lock the top. Checked online and it's £60 + VAT. I can't see how they can justify charging that much for a simple handle was expecting about £40 all in not £72. Just make sure there is nothing left lying in the back now.

Also panel in drivers door that has all the central locking switches and electric window switches went. Got it all in from Thailand (part, shipping and customs fees) for £130 and it arrived within 10 days. Isuzu wanted £240+vat for the same part and there was a 2 month wait to get one.

I don't think they do shavers but for household electricals try a firm call espares.co.uk (0844 375 3 375). Good prices, fast delivery and on-line videos of "how to do it". Just replaced the element in the cooker for £17 delivered, local sparks wanted £70 plus parts! It took me half an hour, having done it once it would now take me 10 minutes. Also used to keep a Dyson going with wheels, etc. which, for such an expensive machine, fall off amazingly fast.

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

If you only bought one shaver and it lasted what would the company sell? They wouldn't keep afloat selling spares on the cheap.

I agree completely with the majority here, chucking stuff out is terrible and I do my very best not to do it. But I can see why it happens.

I've got a box of electric shaver head's / foils in my work shop if anybody wants some mail me details and i will see what I've got

Going back to my original post the parts I went in search of was Phillips Part no. HQ55

Have tried some of the places suggested by those people who kindly responded, now seems as if HQ55 has been discontinued by Phillips :(

So looks like I might be buying a new shaver :unsure: but which one :blink: :blink: :unsure:

Its the old problem if you make things to last and provide cheep replacement parts for them people would not need to buy new ones thus throwing people out of work.

That would be a bad if we actually made things in this country but as we do not make anything much now it would be people in china who would we would be putting out of work would they care about us being out of work :hmm:

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Bought a Remington rechargeable off ebay around three years ago,used every day until it started to pull a bit,

went on ebay again and surprised to find the three cutters and foil set for £16 delivered,well pleased with that

atb handy

• 1 month later...

Electric razors are **** and Gillette multi-blade cartridges are even worse!

Get a decent DE razor, some decent blades (extremely cheap), a badger brush and some good shaving cream (not in a can) and you'll be set for life! Short of using a straight razor, you'll get the closest, most enjoyable and comfortable shave you'll ever have :good:

http://www.shaving-shack.com/merkur-34c-heavy-duty-classic.html

Edited by MartynGT4