how bothered

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when we had recently moved to our new house we got a note through the door off one of the neighbors round the corner with a copy of an anonymous letter he had received telling him to keep his dog quiet and the author had access to shotguns and would shoot this guys dog if the noise continued...approx a year later i was getting into my car with a gun in a slip and this guy was walking down the road towards me obviously been in the pub for a couple and decides he's going to approach me with his chest puffed up and demand to know if i had guns and did i write the anonymous letter.. i put him firmly in his place and pointed out that if i had a problem he would of been the first to know and no letters, but a couple of weeks later my next door neighbour was stopped by another to tell her that i had guns, fortunately my next door neighbour is my best mates wife who,s husband goes shooting with me and she put her straight.... this rubbish is why i don,t advertise what i do or have... most of my neighbours have no idea what i do for a living and they would never even guess

People knowing you have guns can be fatal.

A man was shot through the heart as he tried to defend his family from two men who had forced their way into his home to steal guns, a court has heard.

Financial advisor Geoff Kerr was shot dead in Templepatrick on 27 April 2009.

Darren Kernohan, 35, from Moss Drive in Antrim and Martin Fleming, from Churchill Road in Larne, both deny murdering the 60-year-old.

On Monday, three other co-accused pleaded guilty to associated offences connected to the murder.

Tuesday's hearing at Belfast Crown Court was told by the prosecution that on entering Mr Kerr's home, the two accused pushed Sally Kerr against a wall with a gun to her head and immediately threatened her husband Geoff with the same weapon.

Prosecuting QC Ciaran Murphy said during the ensuing struggle with Mr Kerr, Kernohan fired two bullets at him, one passing through his chest and heart and out through his back.

He added that as he left the scene of the house, knowing that Mr Kerr lay injured "he turned to Mrs Kerr and pointed his gun directly at her".

He said that according to the Crown case, Mr Fleming was equally guilty of murder as a secondary party to the joint enterprise to rob Mr Kerr's numerous legally held firearms because "he would clearly have realised that there was every possibility that the gun in the possession of Kernohan would be used that night".

An isolated incident and a tragedy, more likely to get robbed at gun point for your keys to ya Porsche. But hey I do keep my super car a secret I disguise it as a 300 quid diesel.

Karpman

An isolated incident and a tragedy, more likely to get robbed at gun point for your keys to ya Porsche. But hey I do keep my super car a secret I disguise it as a 300 quid diesel.

Karpman

Unfortunately not that uncommon.

Police Service of Northern Ireland.

There were approximately 366 firearms stolen as a result of those thefts.

Please see the table below, detailing types of firearms stolen in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

FIREARM TYPE 2008 2009 2010

Shotguns 49 67 84

Air Rifles 11 8 17

Handguns 2 4 13

Full Bore Rifles 3 4 2

Small Bore Rifles 14 15 13

*Miscellaneous 2 9 3

Total 81 107 132

Edited by ordnance

all my family know, as do all of my close mates as i shoot with most of them, all my neighbours know aswell as i either shoot on there land or shoot with them :lol: theres only 4 farms up our road and like i said theyre all shooters and most of the village do a feildsport aswell :good: we've called in our chippy before with guns over shoulders and camo'd up... round here they dont bat an eyelid :good: love our village being like that :lol:

Everyone who knows me know that I shoot, including a lot of my neighbours.

I am, however, always as discreet as possible when taking my guns from the house to the car or vice versa. Nothing good could come of me parading around with them on show, so I keep it low key.

Unfortunately not that uncommon.

Police Service of Northern Ireland.

There were approximately 366 firearms stolen as a result of those thefts. District Firearms Stolen.

A 16

B 78

C 23

D 26

E 84

F 74

G 31

H 34

wonder how many air rifles and or air pistols drop into them figures, although eye opening and a tad unsettling still amounts to very little compared to mobile phones and I pods etc. Which we don't make a habit of hiding.

Incidents just thinking about the amount of people who now I own guns and that's quite startling too but to be fair most of them operate in the same circles making them less of threat I guess. Farmers wife of farmers, farm workers shoot associates etc must tally up to quite a nice figure.

Karpman

P.s after that stat blast glad I live in England. Bit more Google fodder for ya lol

wonder how many air rifles and or air pistols drop into them figures, although eye opening and a tad unsettling still amounts to very little compared to mobile phones and I pods etc. Which we don't make a habit of hiding.

Incidents just thinking about the amount of people who now I own guns and that's quite startling too but to be fair most of them operate in the same circles making them less of threat I guess. Farmers wife of farmers, farm workers shoot associates etc must tally up to quite a nice figure.

Karpman

P.s after that stat blast glad I live in England. Bit more Google fodder for ya lol

FIREARM TYPE 2008 2009 2010

Shotguns 49 67 84

Air Rifles 11 8 17

Handguns 2 4 13

Full Bore Rifles 3 4 2

Small Bore Rifles 14 15 13

*Miscellaneous 2 9 3

Total 81 107 132

Edited by ordnance

There was time when having guns wasnt that unusual - it seems to be accepted around where I live still. Like Zapp though I try to be as discreet as is reasonable and having a drive where I cant be seen from the road helps. My neighbour opposite is a farmer and has an ornamental duck pond. I have been told he shot over 200 foxes in a year but now traps and releases - Sadly and for some unknown (to me )reason we dont get on easily or I would love to help out.

More round here own a gun than dont so its a 'normal' environment.

You'd get less hassle being gay and living with a bloke than owning a gun elsewhere it seems.

I think this is about there being a fine line here. At the same time as not making it known to any low life i dont think we as shooters should refrain from promoting our hobby,that is the sport of shooting in general. We need to encourage people to accept shooting and all do our part in securing its future and that means getting youngsters involved if they show a genuine interest.

All my friends,family and work colleagues know i shoot as do i'm sure some of my neighbours will as well. They must see me putting my gear in my vehicle and so be it :yes: .

A great original post by the way :good:

ATB,

Pat

I don't advertise the fact that I shoot or have guns, if I am loading the truck for a nights lamping etc, I will have a look out the door and make sure there isn't anyone about, and stick them straight in the car.

I live in a village in the middle of nowhere, there isnt any real risk, I just can't be doing with any potential problems.

I personally think that discression is a good thing when it come to guns.

I won't tiptoe around for the sake of my neighbours. They can take it or leave it.

Other than normal firearm security, the only other precaution I take is when stalking. Most of my deer shooting is doe and hind culling for a professional stalker who is a friend of mine. I have a couple of his Deer Management signs on my vehicle and I make damn sure I remove them when parked up, especially in town. My windscreen excess is £90..

Most of my friends know I shoot, but only my close and trusted friends know what I shoot, what type guns I shoot with and a rough idea of how many. Even then, only one can tell the difference between a Baikal and a Purdey. The others can just about tell if I'm talking about a rifle or shotgun. I'm not ashamed of my shooting, nor is it top secret, but I don't shout it from the roof tops as you never quite know.

I am extremely cautious when it comes to firearm security. It only takes the wrong person to catch a glimpse of a case or slip and they twig on. Where did you get the statistics ordnance? Would be interesting to know what types of firearms have been stolen in each district over the last 5 years, and how they were stolen.

A few of my neighbours know I do a bit of air rifle shooting so when I get my fac I will just carry on as I am saying its an air gun. No need to let them know any different.

It's not that people may come for the guns. it's that I have found how ignorant people are to guns and in there minds we all shoot fluffy bunnies with a ak47 and bambi with a 50 cal and most wouldn't be able to distinguish them from an air rifle.

Gimlet, that is the only precaution I take, no basc, ngo stickers on the car. Because I know that when I go to the pub with the local shoot there will be a big scratch down the side. Altho I'm not bothered the gf and kids don't need the hassle if there in it.

Altho the spare wheel cover is blood stained.

I am extremely cautious when it comes to firearm security. It only takes the wrong person to catch a glimpse of a case or slip and they twig on. Where did you get the statistics ordnance? Would be interesting to know what types of firearms have been stolen in each district over the last 5 years, and how they were stolen.

Agreed, those are worrying figures

Yeah agree to there worrying one stolen firearm is one to many, let's not lose perspective on this though. Gun thefts make up a very small amount of the 9.6 million crimes reported in England and Wales in any one year.

Would be interesting to get the low down on how most the guns were stolen. Burglary, muggings etc. Guessing at least some will be from cars and down to improper storage lack of security etc.

Karpman

Wouldnt sneek around so nobody could see me coming and going with my gun but wouldnt advertise it. But if someone asks a sensible question about shooting i will answer it. Its not as if its illegal and there are worse things like being a vegetarian.

Im not a veggie by the way.

Google link below i can't get it to work. They are probably no worse than the rest of the UK.

www.psni.police.uk/theft_of_firearms.pdf

Some are obviously stolen by or for paramilitaries.

A Stolen gun 'was used in dissident republican shooting' The case was heard in the High Court

A gun stolen during a raid on a west Belfast home was later used in a dissident republican punishment shooting, the High Court has been told.

The loaded semi-automatic pistol was then found in the bedroom of another house in the city, prosecutors said.

Police have charged a 23-year-old man with an arms offence after DNA from the weapon was matched to their database.

Edited by ordnance

Not bothered in the slightest. If the local low life decide to try and rob my house, I wish them the best of luck with trying to get past the dog :D

Never mind the dog,

Gotta get past the wife :lol: and she's worse than a pitbull chewing a wasp :blink:

Edited by TaxiDriver

when we had recently moved to our new house we got a note through the door off one of the neighbors round the corner with a copy of an anonymous letter he had received telling him to keep his dog quiet and the author had access to shotguns and would shoot this guys dog if the noise continued...approx a year later i was getting into my car with a gun in a slip and this guy was walking down the road towards me obviously been in the pub for a couple and decides he's going to approach me with his chest puffed up and demand to know if i had guns and did i write the anonymous letter.. i put him firmly in his place and pointed out that if i had a problem he would of been the first to know and no letters, but a couple of weeks later my next door neighbour was stopped by another to tell her that i had guns, fortunately my next door neighbour is my best mates wife who,s husband goes shooting with me and she put her straight.... this rubbish is why i don,t advertise what i do or have... most of my neighbours have no idea what i do for a living and they would never even guess

i promise not to tell anyone your an assassin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't say I'm overly concerned about it. I don't go about telling people I have firearms but I don't go to huge lengths to hide the fact.

Personally, I think it's pretty unlikely that anyone would want my guns. Ordinary, run-of-the-mill, crims don't want guns these days (by and large) as the penalties are too high for the limited benefit they provide. Anyone who is a serious enough criminal to have a use for a gun will probably have a better source of supply than randomly robbing people for their target rifles or black-powder revolvers.

Not saying it never happens but I would think it's very unlikely that anyone would bother burgling a house or mugging someone for the purpose of acquiring their guns.

J.