barbecues which one

bi9johnny

Weber Q200 here.. twin infinitaely controlable burners.... can do anything to perfection on it :good:

Gas BBQ's kinda defeat the object IMO, if your after a new toy have a look at some wood burning pizza oven's :good:

Why defeat the object? My object is to grill in the garden with friends and family... My weber fulfils that to perfection... I have a charcoal BBQ.. rarely use it, only tends to be for Firemans Corn.. We tend to cook gormet food in the garden rather than burgers etc.. most of the stuff we do just wouldn't be feasible over charcoal!

Edited by Vipa

Weber Q200 here.. twin infinitaely controlable burners.... can do anything to perfection on it :good:

Why defeat the object? My object is to grill in the garden with friends and family... My weber fulfils that to perfection... I have a charcoal BBQ.. rarely use it, only tends to be for Firemans Corn.. We tend to cook gormet food in the garden rather than burgers etc.. most of the stuff we do just wouldn't be feasible over charcoal!

LOL i think you just answered your own question there, it's not a BBQ you want its a gas grill ! :wacko:

Just as a point of interest, what can you cook on a gas grill that you can't on a charcoal grill?

The only difference that I can see is the speed with which the get to cooking temp. I have a homemade barbecue that works very well and is very satisfying to use.

We tend to cook gormet food in the garden rather than burgers etc.. most of the stuff we do just wouldn't be feasible over charcoal!

Rubbish - You just ain't trying hard enough. If you want to get the full flavour of barbecue, coals are every bit as versatile as gas - Just takes a little more effort and the rewards are better in my opinion.

As to the OP - Whatever you get, make sure it's got a lid and air vents, otherwise you're just grilling - There's a big difference. If you've got a lid, you've got an oven, a smoker and a grill all in one.

Weber are very good - I'm never sure if they're worth the extra money, but i wouldn't be without mine.

However, if you've got a couple of quid spare, you could do worse than one of these

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

The range of cooking temperature is awesome - You can use it as a smoker or a tandoor!!

Thought Q200 was single burner, Q300 has the twin? My bro has a twin burner one and it's great. Very easy to cook and can cook large joints with the bigger hood down. Not cheap but quality and will last.

As fatcatsplat said, you can work a BBQ well with charcoal. We regularily cook a 4 rib roast in a Weber on charcoal. Works like a convection oven. Thy work best with lid on - either direct or indirect. Takes time to get the coals up to heat (dusty and grey, consider the lighting chimney to help with that) but once you have the heat it's easy to manage and cooks well. Throw some dampened wood chips in for a smokey cook if you want it as well.

Just as a point of interest, what can you cook on a gas grill that you can't on a charcoal grill?

The only difference that I can see is the speed with which the get to cooking temp. I have a homemade barbecue that works very well and is very satisfying to use.

I used the word feasible, didn't say you can't.. How about an easy one.. Fillet steak...

And while that's cooking to perfection, I'm also making up the stilton sauce in a pan on the other side of the grill which is at a completely different temp. The garlic musrooms are sizzling on another part and the new potatos are simmering in a pan in another spot.

Now it gets interesting... Let's try Sun Dried Tomato Cheesecake... Needs to bake at 450F for 9 mins then beat, then bake at 350f for 30-32 mins

Stews... get them in the dutch oven and cook for 2-3 hrs (PIB with charcoal!) In fact, anything that needs more than an hour is a PIB with charcoal.. Smoker... different matter altogether, If I could find space in the garden for one I would!

Like I said... nothing you probably couldn't do with charcoal but the temps for the cheesecake have to be spot on... to have 3-4 different heat zones over charcoal that can be quickly varied is not an easy task and whilst no problem with the dutch oven over coals... 3 hours worth! you'd be constantly feeding it to keep the temp right! (now on a tripod over an open fire.. different matter)

Fireman's Corn is good in the coals... get the charcoal up to tem and then just throw the corn in (IMPORTANT - still in husks) When the husks are burnt to a cinder, the corn is ready.. smother in butter and..... mmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Vipa

Thought Q200 was single burner, Q300 has the twin? My bro has a twin burner one and it's great. Very easy to cook and can cook large joints with the bigger hood down. Not cheap but quality and will last.

As fatcatsplat said, you can work a BBQ well with charcoal. We regularily cook a 4 rib roast in a Weber on charcoal. Works like a convection oven. Thy work best with lid on - either direct or indirect. Takes time to get the coals up to heat (dusty and grey, consider the lighting chimney to help with that) but once you have the heat it's easy to manage and cooks well. Throw some dampened wood chips in for a smokey cook if you want it as well.

Have I got my numbers mixed up? Hang on I'll go have a look..

You are right.. It's a Q320!

I used the word feasible, didn't say you can't.. How about an easy one.. Fillet steak...

And while that's cooking to perfection, I'm also making up the stilton sauce in a pan on the other side of the grill which is at a completely different temp. The garlic musrooms are sizzling on another part and the new potatos are simmering in a pan in another spot.

Now it gets interesting... Let's try Sun Dried Tomato Cheesecake... Needs to bake at 450F for 9 mins then beat, then bake at 350f for 30-32 mins

Stews... get them in the dutch oven and cook for 2-3 hrs (PIB with charcoal!) In fact, anything that needs more than an hour is a PIB with charcoal.. Smoker... different matter altogether, If I could find space in the garden for one I would!

Like I said... nothing you probably couldn't do with charcoal but the temps for the cheesecake have to be spot on... to have 3-4 different heat zones over charcoal that can be quickly varied is not an easy task and whilst no problem with the dutch oven over coals... 3 hours worth! you'd be constantly feeding it to keep the temp right! (now on a tripod over an open fire.. different matter)

Fireman's Corn is good in the coals... get the charcoal up to tem and then just throw the corn in (IMPORTANT - still in husks) When the husks are burnt to a cinder, the corn is ready.. smother in butter and..... mmmmmmmmmm

All well and good...but can it do hot dogs??? :good: :good:

Edited by smig4373

I hate to say it but I'm on the side of the people who say that if a bbq is gas, what's the point? I like my food cooked on charcoal and that's not limited to burgers and sausages. I've cooked whole chickens, beef ribs and all sorts of other stuff on mine and it's only a cheap one!

Vipa, I get what you're saying about the sun dried tomato cheesecake but come on. Most of us just want to burn up a steak, some corn on the cob and maybe a baked potato or two.... Bloody cheesecake, seriously?! :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway, this is about as close as I can find to my barbecue. It only cost me about £30 and I've had it for six or seven years. It gets used at least once a week in the summer and is still going well. All I did to it was modify the vents a little bit with a hole saw and some metal plate to get the temperature control a bit better.

Weber are good but you can't adjust the grill height on the ones I've seen. Kind of limits them a bit IMO.

I hate to say it but I'm on the side of the people who say that if a bbq is gas, what's the point? I like my food cooked on charcoal and that's not limited to burgers and sausages. I've cooked whole chickens, beef ribs and all sorts of other stuff on mine and it's only a cheap one!

Vipa, I get what you're saying about the sun dried tomato cheesecake but come on. Most of us just want to burn up a steak, some corn on the cob and maybe a baked potato or two.... Bloody cheesecake, seriously?! :rolleyes::lol:

Anyway, this is about as close as I can find to my barbecue. It only cost me about £30 and I've had it for six or seven years. It gets used at least once a week in the summer and is still going well. All I did to it was modify the vents a little bit with a hole saw and some metal plate to get the temperature control a bit better.

Weber are good but you can't adjust the grill height on the ones I've seen. Kind of limits them a bit IMO.

To give you an idea of how I would LIKE to do it... This would be my idea of heaven!

post-21717-0-96504000-1337957429.jpg

I built this one a few years ago when i got settled in.

fridge002.jpg

It even had a man fridge behind it :lol:

I had the garden done last summer, and bought a charcoal one id always wanted. Ill be using this bad boy tomorrow :good:

SNC14064.jpg

I have a weber type ansd a pig spit and a large brick one built by two aussie lads that were working for us it has a stainless steel hot plate and is

fired by wood we have had 100 plus people in the garden and they were all cooked for on the aussie bbq

Thank god you lot all say weber, after following advice on here I invested in a clearview multi fuel stove for the winter, but I needed summer 'man fire' so I bought this today.

7a974330.jpg

Edited by markm

is the bottom one your one now and the top one the old one....where is the bottom one from mate :good: :good:

yeah, the bottom one is my new one. I bought it from a firm in manchester, cant remember the name, something like BBQUK.com they are a bit slow to deliver, but well worth it when it arrived. i need to build a pulley system so i can turn the chimney into a smoker.