how to beat rust

skinner

(NaHCO3 also known as sodium bicarbonate)

Baking powder!

Baking powder mixes with water.. sounds stupid, but it prevents rust from development.

Be sure not to get it in the trigermechanism though.

(be carefull with the water... use more baking powder and make a paste)

wipe it of again.

Ohh.. it does not remove rust, but it prevents it from further rusting.

If you mean the slide on "gun sock", often in cammo design, I can't see how they would prevent rust.

I don't like anything that creates a physical barrier between my barrels and the air.

Baking powder does work :lol:

Never store your guns in a gun slip, this is probably the most common reason shooters get rust on their guns.

vp90 rust inhibitor, eg from Napier, is excelent. Its not a new product, its been used for years for protecting any metals.

I have a patch in the gun cabinet and carry a few wipes which I use if the gun has been wet.

If you clean and oil your gun properly after a days shooting you won't have many problems.

With a rifle, I always take the attachments off (bipod, sling, moderator) all of which can harbour moisture, especially if lying prone early or late in the day at this time of year even when it is generally dry conditions.

The moderator will get hot & cold quickly during shooting and lead to condensation building up.

Also let the rifle return to room temperature before putting away (will not take long). That is not too much of a problem at this time of year but in the winter coming in from zero'ish temperatures and into a warm house can get condensation build up. The last thing you want is to put that gun straight in a cabinet and return to it days of weeks later.

Cheers

AndyCM

I have a small strip light inside my cabinet which warms the inside of the box up nicely.

I have also lined the inside of the cabinet with wood and then covered it in fabric. This prevents any sweating inside the cabinet and helps to prevent moisture building up.

Don’t leave the light on for more than half an hour though as this could dry the wood out too much.

All this is in conjunction with VP90 which is a brilliant product. :lol:

G.M.

thanks for the replys think i will try vp90,there is rust spots down the barrel and on the receiver also its setting in on the back part of the bolt,think i will strip the bolt and give it a light polish.the other problem was the groups ran to 2 inches at 80 yds so looked inside the bore with light and noticed no shine so i gave it a good clean and noticed a reddish dust came out from the muzzle,must have been the problem,seems to be ok now with a light oil patch put through.when i purchased the rifle i noticed it was already patchy.can anyone recomend a good bore cleaner,i used push rod and logun otis cleaning kit.thanks for the advice.

i wish any of this stuff actually worked for me (although may have to try that baking powder one)

My miroku rusts like a right sod, for example over the bisley meeting just over night the actioned turned orange, i have tried all the oils, all the methods and none of them work, browning/miroku actioned guns just love to rust (although some stored in identicle conditions dont)

None of our other guns suffer from rust, just our two miroku's, i know many other people who have browning/miroku's and their guns all rust around the action as well.

Drives me up the wall :no:

i'm off now to go and put baking powder all over my gun :lol:

i wish any of this stuff actually worked for me (although may have to try that baking powder one)

My miroku rusts like a right sod, for example over the bisley meeting just over night the actioned turned orange, i have tried all the oils, all the methods and none of them work, browning/miroku actioned guns just love to rust (although some stored in identicle conditions dont)

None of our other guns suffer from rust, just our two miroku's, i know many other people who have browning/miroku's and their guns all rust around the action as well.

What calibre do you think it will rise to? :P

I wipe my air rifles over EVERY time i use them, with an oily rag, i oil a rag with bisley gun oil, and i put it in a very clean empty pellet tin, everytime i need it its oiled and has no dust on the cloth, i just wipe over the gun and gun goes back into the case, in the winter, leave the gun to get back to room tempreture before wiping over simple as that and i havent ever had rust on my guns :no:

What calibre do you think it will rise to? :P

:P:):):lol:

My VP90 pad has just started falling off the wall of the cabinet, time for a change?

P.

Or just a new sticky pad :welcomeani:

At the weekend someone was looking at my beretta and said "omg look at that, its all rusty" pointing at the top of the barrels. My heart sank as the last time I used it (dry conditions) I didn't clean it.

When I looked more closely it was dried pigeon blood, thank christ :( It did look a lot like a patch of nasty rust :oops:

Drives me up the wall :good:

i'm off now to go and put baking powder all over my gun :)

Nick, i'm a browning owner and you do have to be careful with the rust. I clean mine in the normal way then put a very thin layer of Pointers Gun cleaner and preservative (contains nitro powder solvent and rust preservative) on the action. This stops any rust appearing. I also use this stuff (as do several other people I know) on boat outboard engines and it removes all exhuast deposits and fowling. It's bloody brilliant stuff and a can lasts for ages.

• 2 months later...

After I have finished cleaning my guns, the oily rag I use for the last wipe down I put in the cabinet draped over the barrels. This stops any dust getting into the barrels and keeps the cabinet permeated with oil. No rust on the guns ever and has never affected the wood on the guns. Also cheaper than a napier kit. Try not to leave too much oil on a gun as it attracts dust.

Fiiish try soaking the blade in coke, it will clean 2 pences overnight so may work on a steel blade, if not fine wire wool and engine cleaning solvent.

Pat