Where You born Before 1970

Guest AP1shooter

I was born before Old Rooster and remember my Mom handing over her meat ration coupons - Milk was delivered by horse and cart - canal boat's were horse drawn - There was one car in our street - we played on bomb sites in Ladywood in Birmingham - I remember the one person in street with a phone taking the accumilator to PO for a charged one. We walked everywhere - had rides on trams and all trains were steam powered - you could buy one Woodbine in shop (ciggy) -- we had ice on inside of window in winter - no hot water and outside bog - The only thing I miss is steam trains

Dave

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Born before 1970, yep, by a long way. By 1970 I had got my trade (Motor Mechanic) in the Army.

I had been able to own my own shot gun legally at 14 years old, when you could go to the post office with a nice brown ten shilling note and buy a "Gun License" without even having to fill a form in.

Yes, I did just about all of the things mentioned in the original post, and quite a few more, I suspect, and No it didn't do me any harm or hurt me except when I got caught and got a clout round the ear from the local "Bobby" (He was allowed to do that in those days). We not only respected the Police then, we were taught to respect all of our elders!

I count myself very fortunate in the fact that the school that I went to had it's own Young Farmers Club and did "Rural Science". We had our own Garden Allotment where we were taught to grow vegetables and we had our own Livestock Sheds where we were taught about breeding and rearing things like Goats, Poultry and Rabbits, etc; and how to kill and dress the latter. Can you imagine that being taught in schools nowadays?

Yes, I was a child of the 50's and I feel lucky and priveledged to have been, most children just don't realise what they are missing out on nowadays.!!!!!!!

What a great age spread amongst the active membership!

Getting towards the upper end myself and thinking about what I remember

The Coronation on television [just] Trams [just] Trolley buses [easily]

Dried milk; dried egg powder

Highway Patrol, Laramie & the Lone Ranger on TV - all American - the first Robin Hood series

Caramac chocolate bars. The launch of Aero and Galaxy - the last being so sophisticated!

The first Chinese Restaurant.

The first avocado pear

Heaters in cars as an optional extra - ditto screenwashers

A bench seat so three could sit in the front of a car and no seatbelts

National servicemen [in uniform] waiting for trains - happy if going on leave; miserable if returning to barracks

Steam locomotives

1955 here. I was an RAF brat, so we travelled with my dad. I remember going in the woods round Wildenrath in Germany in the early 60's, picking up live WWII ammo by the bucketful, and if you were lucky, you would find a Mills bomb or a german helmet! Our parents went mad when we put the plastic buckets on the coal bunker, but the US armourers would remove the charges from the ammo & grenades, then let us have them back all polished up so we could play nonPC 'war games'- that's how my nose was broken at 10 years old, I got a mills bomb in the face - I didn't duck in time! All my dad did was laugh and pull my nose straight and send me back out to play, no reaching for the solicitor's phone no as they seem to do today. I was ****** off that my dad wouldn't let me bring it back to UK - he said the customs wouldn't understand - fancy that!

Ist time I saw telly was Winston Churchill's funeral on the telly in the NAAFI, Highlight of the entertainment week was family favourites on the radio on sunday, with the Goons, the Navy Lark, or the Clitheroe Kid!

Boy Scouts -we all had knives and were taught how to use them properly! Grazed knees and snotty noses were the order of the day in winter, you weren't allowed to stay in just because it was cold. The Scout master bought an old BSA motorbike and an old Ford Pop for £5 at a local auction, and the local farmer let us learn to drive/ride on the local derelict airfield - no helmets/insurance etc and your parents said 'if you get hurt, don't come wailing to me' and do you know - we never did! The local bobby used to whack us round the ear and kick us up the **** if he caught us scrumping apples etc, and we lived in fear for the next week that he might tell our dads - he didn't. We didn't vandalise benches, bus shelters and phone boxes - they were too useful for those magical days when you dicovered that girls were not just louder boys with bumps! ???

Edited by Bloke

1961, born and still here in Brighton. I remember as a kid at the bottom of Wilson Ave. and the gas works (still there but unused), there was a little road called Rifle Butt Road and it had a little bakers..................always stopped off there for a bag of doughnuts before heading down to the swimming pool in the summer hols.

now, full of slack-jaws and druggies, nonces etc. but it's good to be a firearms holder ???:drinks:

In those days, the perverts etc. weren't a known factor like they are today. Yes they were about but seemed a lot more 'selective and secretive' than in todays climate. I remember a mate and I were out with our air rifles over a local 'tip' shooting rats and things. Then we saw a guy in his 40's, squat down with his kegs around his ankles......................................at first we thought he was having a dump..............but then he pulled out a magazine and proceeded to have a 'handshandy' and the dirty ******* even had a can of coke...................until we shot the tin away. We never did see him over there again. Nowadays the same bloke would probably have had a young kid with him!!! ???

What I don't understand is why everyone is pining 'for the good old days' but not extending the same freedom to their children...

What I don't understand is why everyone is pining 'for the good old days' but not extending the same freedom to their children...

Cos we got old and understood the risks? :lol: I hope that isn't just why. The world does seem less safe now, when I was a teen, if you got in a fight, the worst you got was a bit of a kicking (Unless it was a 'mods vs rockers' do :lol: ), now it seems like stamping on your skull a few times, or a knife in the chest is the minimum. Yes it wasn't all good, medicine wasn't as advanced, you died from a lot of things you don't die of now, very few people travelled abroad, there were no late night takeaways and all the shops shut early on Saturday till Monday morning. Mind you, you could walk back from the pub without falling over druggies (or being mugged by them!), so there were some benefits.

Of course, back then you just went into the Post Office (remember them?) for your shotgun licence - no questions asked! :drinks:

But then, maybe I am seeing the world through a rose-tinted brain! ???

In those days, the perverts etc. weren't a known factor like they are today. Yes they were about but seemed a lot more 'selective and secretive' than in todays climate. I remember a mate and I were out with our air rifles over a local 'tip' shooting rats and things. Then we saw a guy in his 40's, squat down with his kegs around his ankles......................................at first we thought he was having a dump..............but then he pulled out a magazine and proceeded to have a 'handshandy' and the dirty ******* even had a can of coke...................until we shot the tin away. We never did see him over there again. Nowadays the same bloke would probably have had a young kid with him!!! ???

No, you see that's utter rot, and I was waiting for someone to say that.

The only difference between the number of risks to children between now and 1940's onwards (Traffic aside) is that simply you are paying alot more attention to the alarmist media.

The only difference between the number of risks to children between now and 1940's onwards (Traffic aside) is that simply you are paying alot more attention to the alarmist media.

Were you there back then? ???

1955 here. I was an RAF brat, so we travelled with my dad. I remember going in the woods round Wildenrath in Germany in the early 60's, picking up live WWII ammo by the bucketful, and if you were lucky, you would find a Mills bomb or a german helmet! Our parents went mad when we put the plastic buckets on the coal bunker, but the US armourers would remove the charges from the ammo & grenades, then let us have them back all polished up so we could play nonPC 'war games'- that's how my nose was broken at 10 years old, I got a mills bomb in the face - I didn't duck in time! All my dad did was laugh and pull my nose straight and send me back out to play, no reaching for the solicitor's phone no as they seem to do today. I was ****** off that my dad wouldn't let me bring it back to UK - he said the customs wouldn't understand - fancy that!

Ist time I saw telly was Winston Churchill's funeral on the telly in the NAAFI, Highlight of the entertainment week was family favourites on the radio on sunday, with the Goons, the Navy Lark, or the Clitheroe Kid!

Hi, 11 years earlier (Bloke, spent most of the 70s at Bruggen). Used to supplement pocket money (6d) by selling brass. We lived (still do) close to a military training area in E Devon and used to cycle up and load as many ex WD webbing bags that you could hang over your shoulders and on the bike with 303 cylinders and race off to the scrap merchant. It was murder coming back with all the weight with little ability to steer and all too much for the brakes. I used to spend a lot of time there and got to know where the machine gun stances were and you could pick up the cylinders by the armful.

Won't mention the where-abouts of the underground (and unlocked!) ammo store as I don't want to upset Harn......

Cheers

Hi, 11 years earlier (Bloke, spent most of the 70s at Bruggen). Used to supplement pocket money (6d) by selling brass. We lived (still do) close to a military training area in E Devon and used to cycle up and load as many ex WD webbing bags that you could hang over your shoulders and on the bike with 303 cylinders and race off to the scrap merchant. It was murder coming back with all the weight with little ability to steer and all too much for the brakes. I used to spend a lot of time there and got to know where the machine gun stances were and you could pick up the cylinders by the armful.

Won't mention the where-abouts of the underground (and unlocked!) ammo store as I don't want to upset Harn......

Cheers

Being a military kid sure could be fun. I remember 'family days' when you got to see where your dad/ mum worked and they would set up the firing ranges, so even as an 11 year-old, I could have a go with a Sten gun, Bren gun and pistols (Usually held in the instructor's hand, but it felt real to me!) I was a bit young to go off base, but it was a sheltered existence.

Military run infant/primary/secondary schools didn't mess about though. None of this PC stuff for them, if you stepped out of line, you were punished there and then, slipper/cane etc. If your parents objected, they were told 'if you don't like it, your family can go back to the UK and use the schools there, but you stay here, or we will ship your child to the boarding school of your choice at your expense, whichever you wish, but we will have discipline and good behaviour here!' It was amazing how many families made sure the kids were well behaved then, especially when the servicemen/women were fully accountable for their children's behaviour! Having said that, it was firm but fair, you knew you had done wrong, you took your punishment and it was forgotten, there was never any ill-will (after the pain wore off!). I had the shock of my life when we returned to the Uk and I saw how badly behaved the kids in local schools were, I had never seen bullying and racism before then, it was never tolerated in the service schools.

On the subject of bunkers, we found a couple in the forest near Rheindalen - couldn't get through the doors though, next thing some blabbermouth told their parents and an army demolition team were sent in and dropped the roof in - spoilsports!! ??? I might have been a willis jeep millionaire by now! :drinks::lol:

Edited by Bloke

Well I do, as much as I can, but in 'todays society' I cannot let the lad go over the fields with his Ratcatcher for some harmless plinking, without some hysterical joe public reporting 'someone with a gun' or let him go out with one of his Victorinox Swiss Army Knives to get some Amber he spotted.

So it's now done in a 'controlled enviroment' when we go to our permission he has the freedom to do all the 'little lads' things we use to do, and he understands that.

ATB

Tony

Far from it, I'm speaking from experience; a few years ago, my neice who was just starting work got attacked and raped by an illegal that had a string of offences from where he originally came from. After 2 years and the law did nothing and he'd also attacked other girls from the same work place, I decided to pay him a visit...........................................................................

As I said earlier, it was going on back then but it wasn't so openly broadcast.

Edited by Saker-Clive

Born in 1971, so not quite in the category but still had some freedom. Was allowed to go night fishing at 15 once i'd saved up to buy a bike lamp, which i did quite quickly! Was allowed to go daylight fishing whenvever i wanted, on the provisio i passed a swimming exam, passed first time. My neighbours fields were a great place to amble around with an air rifle farmer saw me i'd give a wave, he'd wave back, dens, swing ropes over rivers, climbing trees. "Door key will be left in the drainpipe when you get home, clear up after you've made a sandwich". Very enjoyable.

The stretch of river near me where kids can fish for free has a derelict farmhouse (it was a working farm when i was a kid) people squat there regularly, druggies? Maybe i don't know.

The farmland i walked over has either been sold to one big farm or is being looked after by townie types who arent so keen on shooting.

Binge drinking??? At 16 years old we were allowed to go and have a few pints in the local rugby club or pub, provided we caused no trouble nobody minded, if we caused any trouble your parents would be told, and they would ban you from going to the pub! Which was very embarrassing. No ASBO needed. Far more sensible introduction to booze than a bottle of vodka in a bus shelter.

Local people knew who you were, knew your age, and kept an eye out for you. Responsibility was earnt, and could also be taken away if it was abused.

My son is 4 this year is he going to able to enjoy these freedoms?

Tight Lines

Aled

Edited by Aled

excellent thread, i was born in the 50s, so i can relate to most of this.

most of our time was spent playing out doors,i grew up in a village where the moors were on the door step.

most kids belonged to the cubs /scouts etc.

there was no such thing as fast food or take aways (there was a chippy....special treat only!)

there didnt seem to be any fat kids, in fact we were pretty skinny

there was no fashion.....we wore whatever we were given

most lads had guns, knives, ferrets, lurchers, terriers, and went fishing.......not many got in trouble with the law

.....if you did, it was usually a crack round the head by the police, a word to your dad, and another flogging!

ahhhh....happy days!

atb, mick

1989 here. I'm pretty dissapointed about the changes to! I can relate to some of the things mentioned on the list, but it's obvious times have changed. A lot of people who i grew up with were surrounded with bubble wrap. I've asked my Grandma about how we are raised differently now, and she blames it on the death of the community. In the past everyone would know each other and if there was anything suspicious word would get around fast. There has also been a massive population increase and there are much less areas to actually explore. A long with mass immigration and multi-culturalism, every section of britain has completely different norms and values which a p.c culture demands we respect, i think that results in wide spread alienation and hence people keeping to themselves.

Axe I was born in 64 by the time I was 8 I would jump on a horse and be gone all day some times overnight camping trip.....it was nothing to be riding 20 or 30 miles from home or to get in after dark.

Funny thing is Mom and Dad always new where we were within a 1/2 mile :lol::lol:

These days my kids dont leave my site ??? We all ride much closer to home usually not leaving the home farm but I know there will be some long rides in the mountains out west, or Mexico, or maybe Scotish Highlands coming in the not so distant future. :drinks:

BlackThorn,

they didn't kick our **** or slap us around they just said " I will be letting your Farther know". Words that struck ice cold fear through your entire body....the only thing that would have been worse was if Dad had to find you after they talked to him :lol:

NTTF

oh christ, anything but that. :lol: id rather wrestle an alligator than go through the bolloking id get at home. I remember one time i bunked on the train, and got caught at the other end (i must have been 7 or 8). The guy DRAGGED me into the office, and said he was going to ring my father. This was the most fearfull thing i could imagine.....AND WE DIDNT EVEN HAVE A PHONE! :lol: He let me go after i prommised never to do it again. Ironicly, this was about 25 years ago. I now work with this man, and he is a gentle giant. I always thank him for giving me the telling off, as it was things like this that make me the person i am today. I try and follow this up with my kids, to make sure they respect the authority of adults and that they will never be above the system.

Born in '77 , still did much the same on my fathers fields and friends smallholdings , learned a lot about the countryside , Hopefully if i am blessed with children I can give them the same !

Nice to know there is such a range of people on this site , makes me glad I joined ! Its a shame the world has changed so much since then .