Recommend me a decent hedge trimmer

Blunderbuss

Just spent a fun afternoon :rolleyes: cutting a beech hedge in the front garden, and tomorrow might have to attack an out of control privet in the back. I have to do it a couple of times a year and I hate it with a passion. I have to wade through a jungle of thorny bushes the wife has planted in front of them and stand on tip toes on sloping ground with the trimmer held aloft in an attempt to top it off. Usually with my missus directing me to 'watch the birds nests', 'don't scalp it' and 'don't stand on my shrubs' :no: Deep joy.

The tool I am currently using for this joyous task is a ropey old black and decker jobby with a short blunt blade I got off freecycle :blush:

Enough is enough, I need to get something to make the job less of a chore. Some of the branches are quite thick and tough and the privet hedge is very tall - I wouldn't mind one of those right angle attachments. Any recommendations? Any good deals about?

Got a Mitox extended clipper for about £150, dead easy to start, adjustable angle head, not to heavy and it's been great on the copper beach. Perhaps not the same quality as Stilh stuff but pretty decent and well priced

Ped

I got the Ryobi petrol hedge trimmer plus an extension bar so I can trim hedges over 10 foot high. It's called the Expand It range and you can add a pruner attachment which is in effect a very short chain saw on an extended pole perfect for thick branches.

I've had mine about three years now and haven't had any problems at all. I also use the streamer which is more than powerful enough for garden use.

Cos

I got the Ryobi petrol hedge trimmer plus an extension bar so I can trim hedges over 10 foot high. It's called the Expand It range and you can add a pruner attachment which is in effect a very short chain saw on an extended pole perfect for thick branches.

I've had mine about three years now and haven't had any problems at all. I also use the streamer which is more than powerful enough for garden use.

Cos

+1 mine does a hefty amount of llilandi every year and works a charm..:good:

Just spent a fun afternoon :rolleyes: cutting a beech hedge in the front garden, and tomorrow might have to attack an out of control privet in the back. I have to do it a couple of times a year and I hate it with a passion. I have to wade through a jungle of thorny bushes the wife has planted in front of them and stand on tip toes on sloping ground with the trimmer held aloft in an attempt to top it off. Usually with my missus directing me to 'watch the birds nests', 'don't scalp it' and 'don't stand on my shrubs' :no: Deep joy.

The tool I am currently using for this joyous task is a ropey old black and decker jobby with a short blunt blade I got off freecycle :blush:

Enough is enough, I need to get something to make the job less of a chore. Some of the branches are quite thick and tough and the privet hedge is very tall - I wouldn't mind one of those right angle attachments. Any recommendations? Any good deals about?

The wife ;)

beech hedges are great ain't they - as soon as you start clouds of white fly rise up -- When I had a hawthorn hedge I cut it on a slope away from me - cut it so back of slope was height I needed but it was miles easier to cut when front bit is lower - about 45deg and it was still thick enough.

I thought my wife was only one who planted plants in the way - she doesn't seem to understand that if she plants them next to lawn edge they get cut and strimmed square. :yes: :yes:

dave

We bought a Flymo battery powered trimmer and I am fairly impressed with it. 24v battery pack can be shoulder or waist mounted and the trimmer can extend and then be angled to cut the tops of high hedges. I have no trouble doing a hedge 8 foot high both sides and top and about 80 feet in length and the battery still holding a good charge.

Edited by Lord Geordie

"I have to wade through a jungle of thorny bushes the wife has planted in front"

Babyliss? :)

:lol: It's like Don King in a headlock, honestly you've no idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, Screwfix have a special offer on the Ryobi at the mo so ill go for that :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Bought one of these Ryobi jobbies from Screwfix and I'm really pleased with it. Makes a doddle of what was a prolonged ball ache of a job. Whizzes through branches I used to have to saw like butter. I got it on special offer for £100 but they've gone back up to £170 now. Absolute bargain.

:stupid: :stupid: :stupid::good: :good: :good: