What calibre should i use for foxing??

jam1e

Thanks for all the replies folks :)

I'm about 90% sure i'll go with the .22-250 as plenty of ammo easily available, very flat and lots of power.

Just need to choose a gun now, having said that i do like the CZ 527. Thanks Kent! :good:

The 527 dont come in 22-250. Why on earth would you need a 22-250 if your only shooting out to 200 yds anyway. The 22-250 only has an edge at 300yds and further (way beyond a new shooter) barrel life will be shorter, noise and recoil will rise, all for what? Zero practical gain.

Fact is you can with a modecome of skill shoot foxes at 200 yds with a .22 Hornet and kill them very clean, the bigger gun cant kill them double dead

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my own research into this it seems the 222, 223 or 22-250 will all do a fine job, and the decision between those three will probably be based on a mixture of the likely ranges involved, and the cost and availability of the hardware.

:stupid: With my own pref for the .222

Let me add abit more info.

I've asked for a .22 and .17 rimfire, as i had these on my previous ticket. This is obviously for smaller game out to around 100-150 yards.

I have shot deer at around 300 yards (not on a regular basis) with my previous .243 having used mildot "holdover" as was zeroed at 150 yards.

However, i'm abit older now, and have back problems so i may not be able to get into a position where i'm comfortable to make a 300 yard shot. Clean kills and all that. Hence stating 150 to 200 yards in my first post :)

As for accuracy, i have to admit to being abit of a perfectionist. And if making my own ammo up takes my groups from 1" to 1/2" then re-loads are for me! :lol:

Well, whatever you do, enjoy your shooting and have fun getting back into it!

Thanks Thunderbird. I'll try! But it's not in the bag yet!

When and if my red letter day comes i'll be over the moon!

I notice your in the Cotswolds. I'm around 10 mins from Broadway. Are you close yourself?

My local RFD has told me that the .243 is the cheapest round he could supply, and can be had for 60 pence a shot, using "Partizan" rounds. Anyone heard of that make?

The .233 is next at 78 pence a shot, then .222 and .22 250 at £1.00 a shot.

You need to have a serious word with your RFD about ammo prices .223= 40p a shot, .243 = 50p a shot. .22-250 the same

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/ammunition

You need to have a serious word with your RFD about ammo prices .223= 40p a shot, .243 = 50p a shot. .22-250 the same

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/ammunition

Christ Vince that is a good price!! :o

I was paying a £1.00 a shot for .243 7 years ago!!

I've put that site in my favourites. So thanks alot Vince!

Edited by jam1e

• 2 weeks later...

Your post suggests that you have limited or no experience in this area. I would therefore suggest that you look at one of the popular factory calibers, my first choice for you would be 223 followed by 204 or 222. They will do all you want up to about 250 yards.

No offence "Alycidon", but I'm puzzled by your comment. If i want a round that is as flat as possible that works well on foxes, why would i want to start with something that doesn't suit my needs as well as something that does ???

Granted i'm no expert on weapons and I've been out of shooting for a few years, due to kids, work ect. But i've owned .22 and .17 rimfires and a Tikka T3 in .243 for some "troublesome deer" at the time. The .22 was ok with a mod and subsonics for close work but stretching out just meant working out holdover. No big deal i know. But i then bought the .17 rimfire to stretch out further. And although i couldn't do much to quieten it down, (for the obvious) i just loved how fast, flat and devastating it was on small vermin. As my personal view is that a fox should be taken out with a CF rifle i just used my .243. Which just seemed "overkill", especially at close range! I may be contradicting myself a little here but i hope you get the point?

Now the deer are no longer a threat to the farmers once sapplings, he doesn't want them shot. So as the rifle will be used mainly for foxing i want to buy the right calibre first time round and not keep losing money swapping and changing.

ATB Jamie

P.S Once again, thanks for all the valuable imput folks! :good:

No offence "Alycidon", but I'm puzzled by your comment. If i want a round that is as flat as possible that works well on foxes, why would i want to start with something that doesn't suit my needs as well as something that does ???

Granted i'm no expert on weapons and I've been out of shooting for a few years, due to kids, work ect. But i've owned .22 and .17 rimfires and a Tikka T3 in .243 for some "troublesome deer" at the time. The .22 was ok with a mod and subsonics for close work but stretching out just meant working out holdover. No big deal i know. But i then bought the .17 rimfire to stretch out further. And although i couldn't do much to quieten it down, (for the obvious) i just loved how fast, flat and devastating it was on small vermin. As my personal view is that a fox should be taken out with a CF rifle i just used my .243. Which just seemed "overkill", especially at close range! I may be contradicting myself a little here but i hope you get the point?

Now the deer are no longer a threat to the farmers once sapplings, he doesn't want them shot. So as the rifle will be used mainly for foxing i want to buy the right calibre first time round and not keep losing money swapping and changing.

ATB Jamie

P.S Once again, thanks for all the valuable imput folks! :good:

I'm more puzzled by your response! the advice you were getting was probably the best in your situation. If you zero at 175 yards with a .223 that gives you roughly an inch high at 100 and an inch low at 200 and about 9" low at 300 those figures are pretty reasonable to work with and depending what you class as flat shooting not bad from where I am. Thats using 55 grain bullets and you can go lighter and improve them. You then have pretty much the largest availability of off the shelf guns and factory ammo there is. The caliber is mild compared to your .243 and it flattens foxes fine. I've got both and don't find the .223 lacking when foxing and actually when you swap to it you realise how nice it is to shoot. Couple that with roughly 10 grains less powder when you reload and its even economical as well.

Am not a centre fire user or big foxer but what i picked up watching George Digweed on FSB was that some of the smaller vmax type bullets he felt were resopnsible for him losing a few foxes in the stubble with as the round would hit a peice of stubble on its way and either break up or deflect ! this was with his .223 so he is using his .243 currently. But surely he would be better still using his .223 and using a soft point rather than a balistic tip in say 50grain if he wanted to stick to his .223 ?

I always thought for fox that soft point would be a prefferd bullet to v-max to ensure penetration of the ribs etc and not get shallow splashes etc ! So can someone explain the CF bullet choice for fox a bit more please ?

ATB

Matt

Am not a centre fire user or big foxer but what i picked up watching George Digweed on FSB was that some of the smaller vmax type bullets he felt were resopnsible for him losing a few foxes in the stubble with as the round would hit a peice of stubble on its way and either break up or deflect ! this was with his .223 so he is using his .243 currently. But surely he would be better still using his .223 and using a soft point rather than a balistic tip in say 50grain if he wanted to stick to his .223 ?

I always thought for fox that soft point would be a prefferd bullet to v-max to ensure penetration of the ribs etc and not get shallow splashes etc ! So can someone explain the CF bullet choice for fox a bit more please ?

ATB

Matt

just seen that and I think I lost one the other day in the same circumstances with a .243, basically it comes down to speed the higher it is the more likely in my mind to break up, so I really can't see it will make much difference between the two as the 55 grn .223 will usually be slower than a lot of .243 rounds. The simple answer is to wait for a clear shot but easier said than done in some situations

Currently I have a .222, .204 and .243 I use for foxing. At distances up to 250 yards it's just point and shoot, the fox and I can't tell the difference. Over that they will all kill cleanly, all one has to do is allow for a little drop.

Whichever you go for you won't go wrong, just chose the one you fancy. These days I tend to prefer a caliber that's sweet to shoot and the .222 & .204 fit the bill, as would a .223. I gave up the 22.250 after I got the .204 as for me it wouldn't do anything the .204 wouldn't do.

Lots of info there folks! :blink:

I value all your opinions. However, when you add various bullets into the mix, with various distances and situations all calibres will have there advantages and disadvatages. And when people put their personal preferences of calibres into the mix it all becomes a grey mix....

I know very little about this calibre, but i am quite a fanatical researcher before i go ahead with a choice of whatever i'm paying out for.

To be honest my first choice was a .223...

I'm not set on the .22 250, (but almost!!) as its a fast flat round which can be pushed out quite far without much drop, and is easy to use for reloading if i go that way.

I'd appreciate some advice on the differences (both good and bad) of the .204 compared to the .22 250 as i haven't researched the .204 round much at all. Including reloading, trajectory and cost per round, availability in store and anything else you can think of........

And lastly a big thank-you to all the folks who contributed on this thread! I'm sooo glad i came accross this site as it's so informative and obviously has people who are as keen as i am. So thanks alot folks!! :thanks: