What calibre should i use for foxing??

jam1e

anything will kill a fox if you hit it in the right place at the right range.

its pointless specifying Min energy as an 12ftlb air rifle in the noggin at 20ft will drop one (before the flamers come out I am not suggesting you should try)

I shot one at 23yds with the .22 last week. lights out on the spot. 130gr .270 Interlock Softpoint at 150yds seems to do the trick too!!

All this talk of flat shooting this and that is balls IMO

99% of CF calibres follow a very similar trajectory and its only at 300+ yards do you start to get significant difference. the only real exceptions are the sub 40gr 4000+fps rounds and they don't like wind much which IMO is worse than judging drop. Gravity is constant, wind is not.

look up chuck hawkes calibre comparison chart and compare the MPBR's for everything.

most of the .224-6mm rounds have a 4"MPBR between 225 and 245yds.

how many of you can accurately call a 20yd difference of 225 vs 245yds in the dark? or can accurately measure the 1" difference in POI you may get between one calibre/bullet and another through your scope in the dark with a lamp?

my reticules occupy 1-2" of the target at 200yds!

most foxes (and deer) are shot between 75-250yds.

those that shoot out further know their rifles and their range (or should) and "flatness" does not negate that knowledge

calibre choice is like sock colour, any colour will do the job, some do it better in some circumstances than others.

I just bought a .222 to fill the gap between my WMR and the .243

at no point was I wondering how flat it was.

it shoots 50gr Vmax because I shoot in urban areas and need to guarantee frangibility.

No fox round here is getting up from a 50gr Vmax because it didnt penetrate enough

+1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the guns mentioned will kill foxes,just you choice realy, if you dont reload 223 up to 200 yard may be. 22.250 can go to 300 and more in the right hands. but at night 200 is the max realy. you wont go wrong wi 22.250,just silence it and keep your barrel clean,be bang on.good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

Sako Vixen .222 is what I use. And has not let me down for over 17 yrs using it on foxes. Reload my own and makes it a cheep and fun round to use. .222 is not loud and I have taken foxes out at 300 meters not yards. I zero 1 inch high at 100mts lets me shoot out to 200mts with out to much drop. Most of my foxes I like taking at 150mts with a head shot. I'm no marksman but I can do it at ease. If you have a good rifle that shoots, the rifle will show you how to shoot.

Why on earth do people think 200 yards is the max range at night?

'tis for me, perhaps a tad further if it's a clear night and the battery powering the 170 is fully topped up or there's some moon and I'm on the stubble with the N550.

Don't be too surprised if you find the same when you've been drawing your state pension for a few years!

because quarry Id backstop and backdrop have to be 100%. Get it wrong and your in deep doo dah. I am not sure if i have actually shot a fox at 200 in the lamp but i have done a stack at way further in the light of day

it all depends on your ground, ours its easy if you absolutely have to but that would be cereal stubble with fields 20 to 80 acres that I've been shooting over for years. Tends to be only lamp shy ones when they depart and then stop for a look back that I ever try it on but you have little to loose on those ones. With a lightforce and no filter you can spot them to 500 yards easy but we usually pull the lamp straight off at that point and close the gap a lot!

Thanks for all the comments folks. I have been following! :-)

The firearms man is coming round tomorrow morning. I'm already a bag of nerves!!!

Will he tell me after the interview if i will be issued with my ticket??

I've started a thread for any tips people can give me..

Edited by jam1e

Yes Kent but you should know the lay of the land regarding backstops at night. If you are struggling to I'd at 200yards then you need a new scope or a trip to specsavers.

Mabey my eyes have adapted better seen as 99% of my shooting is done under the cover of darkness.

Well perhaps you've just got good eyesight? Not everyone is that lucky.