.22 best ammo

Winchester Super X Subsonics are good and readily available. Eley subs group slightly better in my CZ452, but the difference isn't much, and in the field both will put down the rabbit at sensible ranges. You'll read here about how either sub will take rabbits all day at 100yds, but I've not found that, either my shooting or my rifle ( I suspect my shooting ) means 70yds is almost guaranteed but after that it's HMR for me. You might do better, but don't feel bad if you can't - you won't be the only one.

CCI velocitors are probably the hardest hitting .22's . 40 grain hollow point and 1425 fps. Probably the best .22 lr round for foxes. Subsonic HP's for rabbits, eley or Winchester Work well in most barrels. :good:

Cci for me stocked up three quid for hundred ,euroguns when they sut down :D

try different brands as each rifle is different I've know 2 of the same rifle not like the same ammo, but generally winchester or eley seem to do well

by the way is the 455 a thumbhole version as thats what im looking at getting, whats your views on it

I've got a CZ455 with a thumbhole stock. Superb rifle. It devours Wini subs with great relish. It loves them with no hangfires as yet. Cycles beautifully. The rifle is nicely balanced, so much so that you could probably shoot it single handed. It fits in the hand so nicely and even with a Sac mod on it is not muzzle heavy.

I've got a CZ455 with a thumbhole stock. Superb rifle. It devours Wini subs with great relish. It loves them with no hangfires as yet. Cycles beautifully. The rifle is nicely balanced, so much so that you could probably shoot it single handed. It fits in the hand so nicely and even with a Sac mod on it is not muzzle heavy.

How would you go on if you wanted to shoot a rabbit over your right shoulder?

I fancy one of these guns but recently read on here it's a bit difficult to shoot left handed with a right handed stock.

This situation occurs when shooting out of the drivers window of truck and rabbit is almost behind you.

I can do it easily with my standard model 2.

CCI has a new offering on the market, a standard velocity tagged as a target round. The velocity is supposed to be 1080 and they seem to shoot very well in my Remington auto. Not terribly high at around $28 brick.

Are they hollow points though ? Win X and Eley HP both expand well, you can really hear the "WHUMP" when they hit.

I usually use eley as they've always been most accurate through my rifle with cci and Winchester close behind, This last batch don't seem quite as accurate though (new brick) I've shot most of them off now plinking just to get rid of them. I'm gonna give it a reall good clean and use the rest of the eley to dirty it up again then next time I stock up I'm gonna get a variety of subs and high velocity rounds and see if it likes any of them as much as eleys.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all, a little late I know but could be useful..

I use winchester subs all day long in my .22 cz with perfect shots and the for a little further or foxing I would use rem cyclone perfect also..

I used to use win lazers hv for the longer shot but the groupings are not as good as the rem cyclones

cheers J

• 2 weeks later...

Are they hollow points though ? Win X and Eley HP both expand well, you can really hear the "WHUMP" when they hit.

Sorry for the lateness=== They are not hollow points though I wish they were. They are 40 gr solids but have been"solid" performers in both of my .22s. In the Ruger they will group on .6 at 50 yds which suits me for squirrel hunting.