Airgun accuracy

fenboy

Almost everyone seems to be biased towards PCP guns now days , the superior pellet on pellet accuracy is always hyped as the major advantage , and many new comers to the sport think they need to spend a fortune on a PCP and the charging gear to go with it .

No exactly true , a good springer can be a very accurate gun once you have mastered them .

As there was little wind today I took the opportunity to re-zero my HW97 Kt which I have recently had tuned by SFS I set the target at a measured 35 yards and this is the result of a ten shot string after getting a zero

.target001.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shooting...you can get cheap pcps now though especially second hand ones....cheaper than your 97kt-lovely gun by the way that's was the first air rifle I ever owned. I think it's obviously more appealing to new comers as pcps are easier and more accurate to shoot and accuracy is something we all strive for so I can't blame them really. Not that I condone it though I think every new comer should start on a spring gun anyway.

Edited by tomhw100

Nice shooting...you can get cheap pcps now though especially second hand ones....cheaper than your 97kt-lovely gun by the way that's was the first air rifle I ever owned. I think it's obviously more appealing to new comers as pcps are easier and more accurate to shoot and accuracy is something we all strive for so I can't blame them really. Not that I condone it though I think every new comer should start on a spring gun anyway.

Yes you can pick , PCPs up at reasonable money , but then you need to get charging gear so another £100 on top for a half decent pump, more if you want a bottle and hoses , then you have to faff about charging / pumping, put up with and replacing leaking seals (it happens to them all eventually) dealing with power curves/sweet spots etc and will those cheaper PCPs last a lifetime like a good quality springer will ??? I dont think so .

i have found the newest hw,s are rough, the springs are badly cut.

As I understand it HW have now got there act together regarding chopped springs and the new guns are all fine ,no doubt there are some older ones still on shelves in gunshops though and chopped springs or not there was no problem with power or accuracy , they were just a bit rough compared to HWs of old.

i have found the newest hw,s are rough, the springs are badly cut.

Yes you can pick , PCPs up at reasonable money , but then you need to get charging gear so another £100 on top for a half decent pump, more if you want a bottle and hoses , then you have to faff about charging / pumping, put up with and replacing leaking seals (it happens to them all eventually) dealing with power curves/sweet spots etc and will those cheaper PCPs last a lifetime like a good quality springer will ??? I dont think so .

It's not that much effort pumping them up really though is it...it takes all of about 5 mins. You probably spend 5 mins through out the day pulling the under lever up and down. Pcps are quiter and have what a springer never will....MULTISHOT!

Edited by tomhw100

It's not that much effort pumping them up really though is it...it takes all of about 5 mins. You probably spend 5 mins through out the day pulling the under lever up and down. Pcps are quiter and have what a springer never will....MULTISHOT!

True it is not too difficult when when you are young to pump them up but I know a few older guys who have gone back to spring guns as it knocks them up , and I was originally just saying that it is a additional cost on top of a cheap PCP and that remains a fact.

As for multishot there have been spring multishots , but who needs them ?? in almost 30 years of airgun hunting I cannot think of one occasion where I thought that would be a advantage , you must be getting some shooting if you are getting quarry one after another quicker than you can cock a springer !!!

True it is not too difficult when when you are young to pump them up but I know a few older guys who have gone back to spring guns as it knocks them up , and I was originally just saying that it is a additional cost on top of a cheap PCP and that remains a fact.

As for multishot there have been spring multishots , but who needs them ?? in almost 30 years of airgun hunting I cannot think of one occasion where I thought that would be a advantage , you must be getting some shooting if you are getting quarry one after another quicker than you can cock a springer !!!

Im not disputing that springers dont still have there place especialy for older people like you say. Im sure you cant get spring multishots you can reload without breaking the barrel or under lever though....it's not the speed it's the movement my friend I can think of 10s of times I've shot two even three rabbits in the space of seconds due to only having to pull back the bolt.....poncing around breaking a gun then fiddling a pellet in the breach would of surely scared them off. I've done it loads of times decoying pigeons on clover shooting one after the other and doves around grain stores,rats the list is endless.

Edited by tomhw100

Im not disputing that springers dont still have there place especialy for older people like you say. Im sure you cant get spring multishots you can reload without breaking the barrel or under lever though....it's not the speed it's the movement my friend I can think of 10s of times I've shot two even three rabbits in the space of seconds due to only having to pull back the bolt.....poncing around breaking a gun then fiddling a pellet in the breach would of surely scared them off. I've done it loads of times decoying pigeons on clover shooting one after the other and doves around grain stores,rats the list is endless.

Jesus the pigeon you decoy your way must be dumb , I normally shoot one and when that is flapping around with a hole in its head the others fly straight off !! , I can usually reload the spring gun before another comes along. :shifty:

Edited by fenboy

Ahh I allways like this debate. I did a pole recently that actually ended up with more people using springers as their rifle.

Multi shot springers- im a die hard spring airrifle fan but whats the point. Youve still got to cock the rifle. Ok a side lever could do it but the only ones I've seen are at fairs. If someone could link them that would be great. I cant even see the point in silencers on them (nice quiet firing - loud crack as pellet hits cranium - loud cocking cycle)

My gun is just as accurate as a springer, people say they are inaccurate quite simply because they either use the cheapies that are the equivelant of a copper pipe or they cant shoot them properly. Simple as and no I wont apologise.

Quote someone "I can think of 10s of times when I've had 2-3 shots at rabbits" ok you get thick rabbits but I can think of 100s of times when I've had just the one. Shoot one and if there thes still a couple left go in commando style with your knife and chance your arm. If you get lucky join the special forces and send me the pictures of unfortunate.

Great you can pick up pcp's for about £300 new maybe 250 2nd hand but then as allready pointed out £100 plus for charging gear then regular services.

Get a springer or a gas ram they wont let you down if they are good and you know how to use them pcp's make it too easy and you lose your shooting skill.

Not when they are landing nigh on on top of each other, Have you never had pigeons decoy to a flapping bird when using a shotgun....yes I think so. I've had them take off and circle back in to the pattern so yes maybe they are dumb then!...or my patterns to good You stick with your spring I'll stick with my pcp it's purely down to a matter of taste....don't kid yourself into thinking a pcp is just a 'over hyped gun though surely a man who's been Airgun shooting for 30 years can see how far airguns have come and the pros about pcps though.

Use the shotgun for the pigeons!!!!

Ahh I allways like this debate. I did a pole recently that actually ended up with more people using springers as their rifle.

Multi shot springers- im a die hard spring airrifle fan but whats the point. Youve still got to cock the rifle. Ok a side lever could do it but the only ones I've seen are at fairs. If someone could link them that would be great. I cant even see the point in silencers on them (nice quiet firing - loud crack as pellet hits cranium - loud cocking cycle)

My gun is just as accurate as a springer, people say they are inaccurate quite simply because they either use the cheapies that are the equivelant of a copper pipe or they cant shoot them properly. Simple as and no I wont apologise.

Quote someone "I can think of 10s of times when I've had 2-3 shots at rabbits" ok you get thick rabbits but I can think of 100s of times when I've had just the one. Shoot one and if there thes still a couple left go in commando style with your knife and chance your arm. If you get lucky join the special forces and send me the pictures of unfortunate.

Great you can pick up pcp's for about £300 new maybe 250 2nd hand but then as allready pointed out £100 plus for charging gear then regular services.

Get a springer or a gas ram they wont let you down if they are good and you know how to use them pcp's make it too easy and you lose your shooting skill.

Lose your shooting skill...what a ridiculous statement the recoil on a springer is minimal, I agree more than a pcp but still minimal. What **** are you going on about join the special forces? I've shot one rabbit 1000's of times but the few times I can have another shot I do because I can. I never said Springers were inaccurate either...far from it I used to have a 97k and before that I used a Webley eclipse I just prefer a pcp as I personally think its a more efficient hunting tool.

Use the shotgun for the pigeons!!!!

What right near horses and a busy farmyard....me no think so

Not when they are landing nigh on on top of each other, Have you never had pigeons decoy to a flapping bird when using a shotgun....yes I think so. I've had them take off and circle back in to the pattern so yes maybe they are dumb then!...or my patterns to good You stick with your spring I'll stick with my pcp it's purely down to a matter of taste....don't kid yourself into thinking a pcp is just a 'over hyped gun though surely a man who's been Airgun shooting for 30 years can see how far airguns have come and the pros about pcps though.

I never said I could not see the pros with PCPs , they are very much easier to shoot accurately and you dont need to put any physical effort into cocking them , they are miles better in FAC than a springer could ever be ,and they are quiter, multishot is no advantage to me, though I can see where it would be useful in ratting, as for pigeons landing on top of each other , then no I have never had pigeons landing so quick after each other I could not load a spring gun in time ! ,

Ok. I've only had it a few times I grant you with pigeons,but I only decoy pigeons with my Airgun a handful of times a year and I can honestly say a multishot function has been invaluable. Likewise I'm not saying Springers are pants either a good shot can be just as accurate with a spring as with a pcp. I think it's just horses for courses.....I have been tempted to by the new 97kt in the synthetic stock...very nice indeed.

Edited by tomhw100

I am a big fan of decent springers but I will stick up for the multi shot PCP for 2 Good reasons:

1.night time rabbits - fiddling around loading pellets (the right way up) into a springer breach in the dark is not good.

2. Decoying pigeons - I often set myself up in a hedge where space is fairly tight and cocking a springer is just too much, also with a PCP you don't have to do much movement to get another shot off whereas all that moving around you have to do with a springer will never allow an extra shot (its not uncommon to get one woody while another is 10 foot away and unaware).

I love a springer but the ultimate all-round hunting tool has to be a multishot PCP.