lack of knowledge throughout the shooting community

Tel Time

Hey nickbeardo,

the questions may seem irrelevant and childish but now that the testosterone has worn off we can answer some questions.

swan is not on the gen licence in this country, but i bet you some of the newer shooters from other countries have shot them.

Any reason that post is directed at me?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sometimes, the posts are either removed or people quickly corrected and lesson learnt. Glad to say the majority of the posts don't contain stock doves mind.

Yet to see one with a "true" rock dove in mind which the op made a point about..

Karpman

There was last year, in fact the picture also contained jack snipe, a very interesting mixed bag. But then the poster was in N.I. so it was okay, and I also had the feeling he was also on a fishing expedition.

Edited by scolopax

The best advice if you were to shoot a swan is for heavens sake don't take it to the vets, especially if you shot it with lead shot, or you could be the second person prosecuted for using lead :hmmm:

What you have to remember on here is there are those that shoot and those that would like to its usually the latter who haven't got a clue whats going on. Though you do see corkers daily of what not to do, this thread is tripe though and only follows a thread where you tried to argue you could sell geese and it was pointed out that it was bull poop

Most of the time it is easy enough.

that may depend on topography of the land you shoot on! I would challenge anyone to identify them standing in wooded clearings as they flash over - other than "it's a pigeon"

Edited by gixer1

if you are not sure then dont shoot :hmm:

you don't shoot much do you :no:

I can entirely see where gixer is coming from roosting you can be 99% sure but never completely, i've seen mistakes made and worse ones than shooting a feral by mistake. Go shooting long enough and you will see some corkers the only way of not having it happen would be to hang up your guns entirely. Shoot long enough and one day you will shoot something other than what you intended

I'd respectfully suggest that Canada Geese, being on the vermin list might get controlled better if they COULD be sold to make it more profitable.

Yes that goes against the general Goose protection motive but would help to reduce the Canada problem to farmers and land owners.

I'd respectfully suggest that Canada Geese, being on the vermin list might get controlled better if they COULD be sold to make it more profitable.

Yes that goes against the general Goose protection motive but would help to reduce the Canada problem to farmers and land owners.

I read that this was being discussed, not to sure if its been implemented though?

Is there a market for em? We shoot a few each year generally first few weeks of the season keeping there numbers in check on a pond. We eat most of em a few got to dog food. Not the finest eating bird I have come across

Do you not think this would lead to canada annialation rather than control?. Money tends to bring the worst out some.

if you are not sure then dont shoot :hmm:

I am 90 odd percent sure it's a pigeon - but what type? give me a break!

you don't shoot much do you :no:

I can entirely see where gixer is coming from roosting you can be 99% sure but never completely, i've seen mistakes made and worse ones than shooting a feral by mistake. Go shooting long enough and you will see some corkers the only way of not having it happen would be to hang up your guns entirely. Shoot long enough and one day you will shoot something other than what you intended

Yup! would love to see how many ducks/geese people would shoot on a flight if they waited to be "100% sure" - from my experience you are shooting at a silohette and a certain wing sound - but no way 100%!

as Alex says - you may as well hang up the kit now as it's rare to be 100% sure....

I can confirm that a graylag and a **** look extremely similar on a foggy morning at 5am when there are 10,000 geese lifting! i've POINTED a gun at one a few times!

Edit to say - the filter removed the bird type - It was a S H A G :blink:

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

With all due respect, "Newbies" are the future of the sport and the only way said individuals will learn and pick up this vital information is from experienced shooters or people who have gone through a similar process with regards to applying for certain things, buying, selling or shooting quarry etc. I myself am on a learning curve and I am sure I have asked a few pretty dozy questions and have probably resurrected the .17hmr vs .22lr debate like most new people to the sport and this forum do. I greatly appreciate all the help I get from this forum and it has helped me bucket loads!!

Thanks folks! :good:

and as a lot of people have confirmed by p.m and by phone it was a good point to bring up and the resulting childish and inadequate responses where as expected, but the question had to be asked and in the same context the answers had to be given, and sadly they proved beyond a reasonable doubt that my first comment was spot on.

Take the ****, have a laugh but at the end of the day its your loss.

With all due respect, "Newbies" are the future of the sport and the only way said individuals will learn and pick up this vital information is from experienced shooters or people who have gone through a similar process with regards to applying for certain things, buying, selling or shooting quarry etc. I myself am on a learning curve and I am sure I have asked a few pretty dozy questions and have probably resurrected the .17hmr vs .22lr debate like most new people to the sport and this forum do. I greatly appreciate all the help I get from this forum and it has helped me bucket loads!!

Thanks folks! :good:

Great that you could find some help.

Love this topic.

First post, when you made a massive generalisation.

still stands after reading through all the posts made last night.

I am 90 odd percent sure it's a pigeon - but what type? give me a break!

Yup! would love to see how many ducks/geese people would shoot on a flight if they waited to be "100% sure" - from my experience you are shooting at a silohette and a certain wing sound - but no way 100%!

as Alex says - you may as well hang up the kit now as it's rare to be 100% sure....

I can confirm that a graylag and a **** look extremely similar on a foggy morning at 5am when there are 10,000 geese lifting! i've POINTED a gun at one a few times!

Edit to say - the filter removed the bird type - It was a S H A G :blink:

Regards,

Gixer

so sad to see someone shoot themselves down and give any antis watching some free ammo.