Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at between £30 and £50 per shot

Hi Wildfowler

Can I ask why its this price per shot ? Is that for the loading components or does it include some of the build cost ? (I am asking this question as a shotgun re-loader myself)

Mick. :good:

ps. Great thread, I have followed it from the start. :yes:

I reckon that you'll be surprised at the uptake on an raffle/auction lot. I bought the two days that I have been out on the Blackwater punting at the BWA's bi-annual sporting auction and the biding was fierce.

What about an auction on here for the PW charity, it would go down a storm, as there is not much hope of a regular joe getting out punting.

It's a great experience too, the sights, the sounds and the roar of the big gun.

Thanks! Don't worry, it wont be long until the next project is underway! As long as i can finance it!

The jam does sound good but at between £30 and £50 per shot it would need to be ;)

I have been thinking though... i really wanted to get along to the charity shoot but couldn't make it so once everything is fully tested, etc i might donate an outing in the punt to the raffle or auction it off next year... i know it certainly isn't up everyones street but there have been a few posts on various threads about punt gunning being something that they really want to do.

What do you chaps reckon?

I got out there last night and made the closing pin.

This is a (very poor) shot of the pin being turned

attachicon.gifIMG_2605.JPG

The i made the closing thumb screw (the machinists will notice that the knurl isn't very good)

attachicon.gifIMG_2606.JPG

Edited by Penelope

Bismuth I guess.

Hi Wildfowler

Can I ask why its this price per shot ? Is that for the loading components or does it include some of the build cost ? (I am asking this question as a shotgun re-loader myself)

Hi Wildfowler

+1 on both counts- £30 - £50 a bang?! Have you bought that gold shot again?! :whistling:

The cost is a total estimate hence the range of c60% and based on some preliminary costs for the black powder, wadding, shot, etc and a friend of mine fires a double barrelled 40oz gun and it costs him c£100+ per shot based on the price he paid or his powder and shot 5 to 8 years ago.

As you can't use steel and bismuth breaks up in larger shot sizes its down to ITM if you can get hold of some in large shot sizes or ITX, neither of which are cheap...

I hope I can get it much lower but like I say, that's a rough estimate... :)

I reckon that you'll be surprised at the uptake on an raffle/auction lot. I bought the two days that I have been out on the Blackwater punting at the BWA's bi-annual sporting auction and the biding was fierce.

What about an auction on here for the PW charity, it would go down a storm, as there is not much hope of a regular joe getting out punting.

It's a great experience too, the sights, the sounds and the roar of the big gun.

But the regular joes will outbid by the "money" men

just a prize in the raffle is the fairer way, although its up to Wildfowler to do as he wishes

:shaun:

True, you have a point.

The aim at the BWA auction was to raise as much money as possible for the club funds.

But the regular joes will outbid by the "money" men

just a prize in the raffle is the fairer way, although its up to Wildfowler to do as he wishes

:shaun:

Ok, to serve both purposes, how about I put up 2... One for auction so the chaps with deep pockets can raise as much money as possible and one for the raffle so everyone has an equal chance? In the unlikely event that the same person wins both I'd like to think they would raffle it off? That's all assuming that anyone would actually want to get in it! :)

Ok, to serve both purposes, how about I put up 2... One for auction so the chaps with deep pockets can raise as much money as possible and one for the raffle so everyone has an equal chance? In the unlikely event that the same person wins both I'd like to think they would raffle it off? That's all assuming that anyone would actually want to get in it! :)

Cracking idea, good on you W.F! :good: :good: :good:

Are you going to coat the gun with a colour? Sorry to edit this but if you are going to consider coating the weapon with a camo finish I might be able to help you with the product. It is called Duracoat.

I will paint the gun a solid grey colour the same as the boat, to keep it as traditional as possible. Duracoat does look good, do you have solid colour?

Good idea I'll have a ticket please.

Once the guns proofed, etc and come next years charity shoot I'll start an official thread...

Depending on how this season goes I might do one before the end of the season whilst the thread is still getting hits... We will see! I don't want to offer something I can't deliver...

I think you'd have problems with it sinking, as so many would want to get aboard.

As an aside, will you be wearing a life jacket when afloat? I know it's not generally done in punting, and certainly not on the two trips I have been on, but I don't think that I would go out again with out one on.

As an aside, will you be wearing a life jacket when afloat? I know it's not generally done in punting, and certainly not on the two trips I have been on, but I don't think that I would go out again with out one on.

I'll most definately be wearing one to start with! Ive got one already but i want one that inflates when it hits water so it isn't as bulky.

I normally just unclip my waders but that boat has a little more free board! :)

Waders are a good thing in fact, they provide additional buoyancy as long as you don't try and swim in them, then they will fill and drown you. Chest waders are even better, just adopt a position like sitting in an arm chair.

Have a look at the Harrison Ballista life jacket. Compact, 150 Newtons and DPM camo.

Waders are a good thing in fact, they provide additional buoyancy as long as you don't try and swim in them, then they will fill and drown you. Chest waders are even better, just adopt a position like sitting in an arm chair.

Have a look at the Harrison Ballista life jacket. Compact, 150 Newtons and DPM camo.

Yes, I've taken a couple of dunks in chesties before but as I've had my jacket on and done up quite tightly around my neck on both occasions I've managed to get up and out again before the water makes it over the top! Not something i fancy trying in the middle of a channel!

I'll give that life jacket a look thanks for the heads up...

A few years ago I went to Sparsholt college to do a Fisheries course, and part of the course was a visit to Winchester School's pool were we all jumped in to the 12'6" deep end with wellies, thigh boots and chesties and were shown how to use them as buoyancy aids.

Take wellies off whilst treading water, empty of any water and then stick one under each arm, foot part uppermost. Thigh boots would keep you afloat with your legs out in front of you.

A fun ending to the lesson was a race wearing chest waders, 4 widths of the pool. If can imagine being in the seated position with your lower legs up on the surface in front of you and paddling with you arms, it's really easy. A girl on the course tried to swim normally in the excitement of the race, filled the chesties and went straight to the bottom and had to be rescued by the instructors. The thing is not to panic.

Hugh Falkus (Wildfowler, angler, naturalist, writer, film maker womaniser, raconteur and whisky sponge) presented a programme on BBC2's 'The World About Us' about 25-30 years ago, 'Salmo the leaper' I think, where he jumps off of a high bank into a swift flowing salmon river (Spey??) in thigh boats and heavy Barbour, he went under but came back up, got his legs facing down stream and is arms straight out to the sides, and floated merrily down the river, he raised his arms up and sank, put his arms out to the side and floated again until he reached a shallow shingle bar and then crawled out.

A must see for any one who wears waders.

Yes, I've taken a couple of dunks in chesties before but as I've had my jacket on and done up quite tightly around my neck on both occasions I've managed to get up and out again before the water makes it over the top! Not something i fancy trying in the middle of a channel!

I'll give that life jacket a look thanks for the heads up...

Edited by Penelope