Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The range of a punt gun is no more than a shotgun loaded with the same shot as it will have similar energy per piece, the main advantage is that you can fire larger shot, in turn carrying more energy...

As for elevation, you can elevate the gun to a reasonable angle without issue, I know a few gunners that have taken flying shots in the past with success (albeit difficult to aim and time) I personally wouldn't go much past 30-35 degrees as I don't fancy damaging the gun crutch and fore deck...

Many thanks that helps a lot I've been building a punt since August and not having your skills was unsure how much I could safely elevate gun

And totally lost on calculations for black powder and non toxic loads

Thanks that will help me a lot pity I never found this thread till last week it's been so inspirational

Many thanks

My apology to you sir I should have told you I was building a punt before I asked the technical question and then you could have been better informed before you chose to answer to a stranger

Just done the imperial calculations on my punt and given that it floats about level loaded

I will be able to obtain 18 degrees elevation with my design

My apology again

I'm still amazed by how many people are building punts!

I'm sure you have inspired many future builds. Who knows how many people have that idea in their head now ? I'll bet there are quite a few people waiting for the book / website and wondering how to introduce the idea to the wife.

Well, i think its fair to say the past week has not gone to plan! I had the week off as its the kids half term... i intended to have some days out, etc and get the gun painted but all best laid plans, etc, etc!

I've been getting more and more frustrated with the lack of space in my workshop so sketched up a storage shed for the punt (2 punts in fact, the existing double and the single which I intend to build). I expected it to take 2-3 days to build based on the shed, so planned on having it done by Tuesday morning giving me the rest of the week... The mrs signed off the expenses (surprisingly easily) so first thing Saturday I went down the local builders merchants and got all the materials.

As the punt is 22ft long, i made the shed 24ft long giving a bit of extra room to maneuver and storage. due to the length i needed to join some of the lengths of wood...

At this point, the plan started to go wrong!!!

Monday was for cladding the frame and assembling it all... although i'd seen the weather reports i didn't really believe them, well for a lot of places, it didn't get too bad but at my house it did! i lost 4 tiles of the roof and my beloved willow tree (although already damaged) got split into 3, destroying large sections of the fence and consuming a lot of my garden

i spent the following 2 days solid on a chain saw trying to rectify the situation... I now have 2 huge piles, one of logs and one of twigs and leaves! the logs will go well in a year or so in the log burner but I've had a 45 gallon drum burning the **** since Tuesday and I've made a very small dent!

Once the tree was sorted work could resume on the boat shed

I clad the panels in 7" feather edge

Now by this point, i realised why the sign off from the mrs was so easy! She decided she was going to move her horse, the shed i had spent an entire weekend building was no longer required :mad::shout: , oh and she needs to buy another horse to keep the existing one company! ***!!!

So i did what any self respecting man would do... made provision for the shed in the back garden, giving me more tinkering space!!! :good: and proceeded to complete the boat shed!

This is it in place, i tacked damp course around the legs and stood it on bricks (all leveled off) to stop it rotting.

This is with the door on and my boys 'helping' some more!

The supports in the middle will hinge to allow the punts to go in and subsequently support the shelf

i just need to add some corner strips, the hasp and staples and it'll be done.

I'll make 2 cradles to sit the punt on, they will be fitted with small bearing to enable me to roll the punt out onto the door then lift it onto the trailer, and vice versa, making it nice and easy to get in and out...

I didn't get round to doing that as i had to go and cut up more trees over my parents house and today i spent the day on driven shoot. My eldest joined us for his first driven pheasant drive... Unfortunately not too many came over us whilst he was shooting but he still had a great time and it's all good experience for him!

Edited by Wildfowler

you do realise you are putting the rest of the forum to shame with your skill base....lol

Oh and if you decide not to store punts in it, cut a few holes in it and use as a chicken coup, :whistling:

:shaun:

LOL, the mrs has already asked me to make her a coup so we can get some chickens...'yeah, im not sure i know how to dear!' :whistling:

I'll use the same gun to start with... the main reason i want a single is so i'm not reliant on anyone else when i want to go...

I'll probably end up building a bigger gun for the double punt...

If you've got the machinery, why not!

I've been reading colin willocks book about punt gunning, its certainly furthered my interest in punts but i dare say it'll be quite a while before i get on the water in one.

Good recovery from the bad weather WF.

When will you be buying more real estate, you're running out of room!

I've been trying for the past year!!! The owner of the surrounding land is so difficult to get hold of it's taken us 11 months to even enter into negotiations on area and price!!! Hopefully we will be doubling the garden though...

I've been trying for the past year!!! The owner of the surrounding land is so difficult to get hold of it's taken us 11 months to even enter into negotiations on area and price!!! Hopefully we will be doubling the garden though...

Did your lottery numbers come up you've got some substantial funds mate, fancy lending is a tenner :lol:

All the best SW