Making a Gunning Punt and Punt Gun

Wildfowler

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there was some sort of licence needed to be able to manufacture firearms - I'm glad the powers that be have taken a sensible approach in this instance but I don't think I'd be allowed to knock up a firearm in my shed without getting into trouble. With your skill and equipment, I'm sure you could make an excellent 12 bore, for example, but would it be legal?

Not trying to cause trouble, just curious

I thought there was some sort of licence needed to be able to manufacture firearms - I'm glad the powers that be have taken a sensible approach in this instance but I don't think I'd be allowed to knock up a firearm in my shed without getting into trouble. With your skill and equipment, I'm sure you could make an excellent 12 bore, for example, but would it be legal?

I can make a shotgun for myself but not specifically for resale. To make guns for resale I'd have to be a firearms dealer. However that doesn't mean I cannot sell the punt gun (once proofed)

The only way I can explain it is:

You can buy and sell shotguns if you have a SGC, there is no LEGAL limit on how many, however there is guidelines that once you hit a certain level of transfers, your FEO would suggest you become a RFD. The legislation is not 100% prescriptive...

So yes, I could make a 12 bore... However next is a double 8!

No laws against making your own firearms, you just need to be a registered dealer if you make them for sale.

My wife has just asked, when does a project like this become a licenced weapon? Your FEO doesn't seem concerned with you manufacturing it (and it's hardly a concealed gun!)

My local FEO has always told me I need to register my punt gun's when they can be assembled and fired.

I have to say wildfowler your gun looks very nice but far to shinny.

Edited by House Boat

I preferred it in the shiny metal...

From an engineers POV, i too prefer it in steel, but from a punt gunners POV, that would be completely useless, so grey it is! Whilst i do try to make things look nice, it is more important that it's a functional gun

The black powder will dull it down soon enough.

When's the 8 starting is it a hammer gun, my imaginations running wild with what we will see in the new thread or tv series.

Not 100% set yet. I like the idea of an underlever hammer gun but also like the idea of having a hammerless sidelock or similar...

Once the fowling season has finished i'll give it some more serious thought!

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time this week making some small paddles and punting poles along with some larger paddles made from a pair of cut down old oars. Ive given them a couple of coats of primer, undercoat and the first topcoat... (pics of undercoat)

I've also made some brass cartridge heads to allow me to make some paper cases...

I also made a mandrel out of the rest of the oar handle to wrap the paper around to make the cartirdge cases

Hi Old farrier,

Thats a very kind offer, and one i might well take you up on! Your punt is coming on a treat too!

Thank you just thought reverse engineering them may save you some time forgot to say they came off a Woodward

Came across a antique punt paddle the other day rather unusual can post a picture if you like

All the best