rust! waaaah!

wildfowler.250

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what's happened to my beretta? I took it out shooting and I'm sure it was dry when I put it away,(obviously not 100%!). Anyway I took it out 2 days later to find the blueing was a total mess! Now normally I would have expected,(at worst) some rust that would have come off with steel wool if the gun was damp when I put it away. It would be different if I had left the gun a week or more. However the blueing has completely come out in patches and for some reason it is basically on the one side. The other side of the barrels has only lost the blueing at the end. Do you think I have managed to get something on the barrel that has taken out the colour or what? Really surprised by what's happened and it's not going to be cheap to fix.

I can't understand why 1) there wasnt light rust if it was damp. 2) why it's mainly all damaged on the one side. 3) why has the blueing come off so badly?

I've had the odd gun go rusty and steel wool fixed it the next day or so but nothing like this. I didn't oil the gun,(normally use leiga spray) as it was 'dry' when I put it away.

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. More than a little annoyed with myself and confused!

post-11837-0-98838100-1346062546_thumb.jpg

The third picture is basically just black barrels with the blueing gone at the end. I'm not goig to btoher uploading it as it's giving me greif.

So you think it is most likely blood? I did shoot quite a few birds that day but I dont remember getting blood on the gun.(certainly not all the way along the barrel). Could I have wiped the gun dry when I was out shooting and transferred a tiny ammount from say my sleeve to gun? It was a soaking wet day though but as mentioned I would have expected rust then rather than loss of blueing?

Thanks for the replies!

ps, how much is thins likely to cost me to fix :/ may have to rfd it to someone good im guessing. I doubt you can just post barrels? :lol:

Thats bad, I bet your gutted... If you bought it second hand I would question what or if any damage had been done previously, not seen anything like that happen in such a short time.

If the Gun was bought second hand then surely wildfowler would have noticed it!! I'm pressuming mind!

The pattern of the material your gun has been pressed against is clearly visible in the latter pic'.Is this the same pattern texture of the slip lining?Or a gun sock?

Was about to say that, certainly looks like a grip print from a rifle to me.

Edited by click

Sorry I should have said..

I've had the gun say 10 years and it's been fine up until this point. Genuinely have no idea what caused the pattern? I assumed it was something to do with how they put the blueing on? Like bead blasted or something,(could have made that up).

Worst thing was that it's the old man's gun but I'm as pee'd off as him. I think I must have got something on it. I was trying to look inside the gunslip but it doesn't open fully. I don't think that's what caused the problem though.

Confused.com!

That pattern would indicate that its been pressed against something-is the gunbag nylon lined?-im guessing its not fleece lined.Force some bits of wood as far down the case as poss to open it out and pop it in the airing cupboard for a few days-in the meantime get a silicone impregnated gunsock (under a tenner on fleabay) and make a point of covering your gun with it after every trip-hope you get the barrels sorted-i would be well miffed.

Did you rest the gun on the grass or even lay it on the ground to take a photo of the 'bag of the day'?

Reason I ask is I did the exact thing yesterday, even though the we had fair weather the ground was very damp. At the time I didn't notice but when I cleaned my gun this morning I was shocked to se how damp one side was.

Not the end of world though mate, shouldn't be 'too' expensive to get it re-bued and probably worth doing if it's a Beretta

That is bad . Blood is very corrosive and should not be allowed to come in contact with metal . Did you lean the gun up against a hedge row and the barrels come in contact with a bush or shrub .Sap from some plants can be very corrosive to gun barrels as well . If it was a warm day the leaves on plants will leak all over the place . Your gun bag could have been accidently impegnated with a corrosive material .

Harnser .

Looks like it has been laid on a wet perforated lining of some sort. Have you checked if the lining in the gun case is like this or perhaps you have laid it down on the inside of a wet jacket with perforated lining which you have been wearing and the waterproof membrain has been sweaty. Sorry to see this damage, hope you are able to 1: fix it and 2: find out what happened so you can avoid it happening again.

looks like the print from a glove ,my gloves got the small dimpled rubber knobbly bits on them,maybe blood on the glove then you picked up the gun ??

That was my thought train also.

As for a Re Blue I know manchester airguns "Colin Molloy" is possibly the cheapest around and a damn good job too. I had a complete airgun "twin air chambers, barrel, sights" blued for £45 not long back.

That was my thought train also.

As for a Re Blue I know manchester airguns "Colin Molloy" is possibly the cheapest around and a damn good job too. I had a complete airgun "twin air chambers, barrel, sights" blued for £45 not long back.

Colin is good at what he does and is cheap,

ATB Flynny

Sorry for the delayed responce to this thread!

Cheers for all the replies :good: I wasn't wearing gloves at the time. it could have been a small ammount of blood on the gun but normally I wipe it off if it's visible. I did rest the gun on the ground,(rape stubble) but over the course of the day this would have probably been done on both sides of the barrels,(and really there's only one side affected). I'll stick some wood down the gunslip,(good shout). I think that may have been the cause of it? Or maybe something off the waterproof jacket I was using?

I'm really still none the wiser for what has caused this but the bits where the blueing has come off do seem to be more rust prone now :mad: Hopefully it wont happen again.

Re: silicon gunslips? How much water do these actually absorb? What else could I add to the gun cabinet to have a "water absorbing affect"?

Really appreciate the info!

stupid question but can i just post the barrels to a gunsmith ect? or will it have to be an rfd. The former would be much cheaper and I thought it might be allowed as you cant use the gun without the stock+fore-end?

Cheers!

ps gunslip is indeed nylon and not wool on inside

A gunsmith can arrange from collect you using a courier, there is a bit of debate about shipping barrels, find the man for the job and see what they recommend. I would certainly look at using an insured courier rather than post and pack securely if you can get a cardboard tube these are ideal once wrapped in bubble wrap

Definitely looks like some sort of acidic etch to me. You can certainly "just" post the barrels off to a gunsmith, most gunsmiths have RFD's, however upton it's return it should be sent to a local rfd/gunshop to confirm it is you and your certificate who is in possession of the gun. The cost already guesed or quoted is as they've stated for an air rifle, most people "hot black" air rifles for ease and speed hence being a relatively cheaper job if you'd like a quote just pm me cheers

You've made a right mess of those....

They need to be refinished before the bare metal corrodes and pits though which really will give you and issue.

Send them on down and I will strip, polish and refinish them gratis if you send a donation to H4H afterwards?

Rich

Edited by RichardH