is this the end to my sgc

littlerob

yesterday evening i was pulled out my brothers cay and hit over the head with a birck quite a few times and my btoher tryed to get the guy off me after a full night and the morning in hospital haveing my head sticked up having xrays and ct scans got arrset for abh and now on police bail the firearms unit have taken my sgc and all my guns and ammo as the other guy is trying to counter claim over the whole thing

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there

Get a friend to take care of your guns. The police will place big stickers on the guns that make a real mess, plus of course there is the potential of damage.

Just notify the police and make an appointment to collect the guns, get them transferred to a friends certificate,( you may want to draw up an agreement with your friend covering any damage, marks etc, to cover both parties).

I take it your SGC has been revoked, so you will still be able to shoot whilst with a SGC holder, until such time as this is sorted.

its local yobo #### about 5 month ago my cctv cam's where stolen by them all caught on cctv and i phoned the police and had them arrseted i think this is there way of gettting ther own back there terrorisng the whole road i live down and the police dont even care what they do

Edited by littlerob

This may be a little tough for you, however from what you've posted I see no reason why you can't get them back. They've arrested you for GBH, assuming you get that dropped (ideally with the police taking no further action, or failing that at court) then there is no longer any reason to prevent you having a shotgun certificate, once it's established that you weren't in the wrong.

How long that will take is another matter though, both the time taken to have the GBH investigation dropped and to actually get your certificate back, and then your firearms.

Ring BASC immediately, they might well help you, it might be a good time to join them, sometimes their help is very valuable.

It will still be tagged to your name that you have been arrested for a violence offence and as such you will have to declare that and a revoked sgc on renewal. Firearms are instructed to remove guns and ammo on arrest of a violent offence no matter what the outcome. A revoked licence is just that you have to apply again when it's over mate. Got all info recently with my own situation luckily mine was sorted and a possession offence not violent

Atb

John

theres story missing here, even if you did get randomly pulled out of a car and beat up you dont get arrested for abh and charged- no charge and your guns must be returned. charged and found inocent guns returned. If you actually are found guilty you loose them and rightly so

To be honest there is little we can do at the moment; the police will investigate the circumstances, gather evidence and prepare a case for the CPS to review. The CPS will then decide if the case will go forward.

I hope you got a lawyer at the time you were at the police station; they would have been in a position to give you the correct legal advice at the time and indeed going forward.

In cases of violence and alleged violence the police will typically take away your firearms as a precaution, if you are released with out charge then you should get your guns back, similarly if it does go to court and you are found not guilty, you should get your guns back without any issue.

Under common law it is perfectly legal to defend yourself from an attack in the following circumstances:

1. To defend yourself from an attack.

2. To prevent an attack on another person,

3. To defend your property.

Also, under Criminal law you can use…”such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large."

So you have two defences one under Common law and one under Criminal law.

There is lots of case law on self defence in the context of reasonable force. It’s accepted that in the heat of the moment, while being attacked, it’s not possible to carefully weigh up the exact level of force required to stop the attack!

So it would very much rest on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that what you did was NOT by way of self defence.

As I say, this is very much one for a lawyer at this stage as the key issue is the charge of ABH.

David

Edited by David BASC

It's probably only a little to with any suspected offence at this stage. Gyppo has nicked your security camera so you can't record him when he comes down the path to finish what he started... potentially. Then you might be tempted - I said might - or he/they might go through your house if they better you and take the guns see? It's just taking firearms out of the picture till it quietens down.

That don't explain what provoked or led up to the bricking though.

From the way you’re typing it seems you got hit in the head quite hard. :)

With regards to the ammo.

AFAIK when the police are tasked with removing guns from the house they take everything gun related they can find.

Guns, ammo, even non-ticket air rifles.

You can go and get it back later.

It’s possible that until the dispute is over that you won’t get the SGC back.

From an objective point of view – if you’re having a feud with a local travelling gentleman the police don’t want you to go mental with a shotgun.

(I’ll not pass comment on the impact those gentlemen can have on otherwise law abiding people, or how fair the situation is.)

Once the dust has settled and peace returns to Trumpton then I’d guess a short chat and a cup of tea with the FEO will see your cert returned to you.

Edited by Robl

There is more to this than meets the eye, the important thing is to get proper legal advice and not admit to anything or take a caution if offered. Guns have gone as much because of the charge and because of the potential for this to escalate as it sounds like an ongoing situation.

Good luck as you're going to need it by the sounds of it

When the police take this thru the process they may offer you a caution to make it all go away - DO NOT ACCEPT A CAUTION - in firearms law this is the same as a conviction and you will not get any form of SGC or FAC again. I understand that police try and use the caution process when they think they have not got sufficient to win a case - call their bluff.

DO NOT ACCEPT A CAUTION

This is generally good advice in all things police related.

And that’s information passed on from chatting to a magistrate.

Only accept a caution if your lawyer advises you to, and even then make sure that the lawyer is acting in your best interests, not just trying to get the case closed.