bad day at work

mikky

to cut a long story short..2 weeks ago i despatched some equipment via a courier,at the time i didnt know the value of the goods,and they were so badly damaged in transit they have had to be written off £8000,at the time i packed them/similar goods like i have done for the past 11 years,packed properly labelled properly...and they have been smashed to pieces( computers contained in a steel case)....my boss says i have to go for a formal interview tomorrow and explain why they have been so badly damaged........obviously they are going to say i should have packed them better...we have packed items like this many times over the years....so it looks like they are looking for someone to blame...question is..do i keep calm and collected while i am being blamed for something out of my control....or do i stand up for myself and tell them its down to the carrier......not a happy bunny

mikky

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you did your job and packed them properly it's not your fault worth boning up on the couriers packing requirements and the equipments! Some times the fact is its all about **** covering we had loads of issue with smashed plasma screens in the early days they would make it from Japan fine over many thousands of miles then get ******** up between heathrow and surbiton! Try and keep your cool and stay calm and accurate, also take notes if your in a union speak to rep if not consider joining one tonight!

no unions or reps...as far as im concerned i havnt done anything wrong....packed properly...handled by me around the warehouse...transported by me onto the courier...not a scratch....

dont see why i should be blamed for someone elses poor handling techniques

checked the computer before i left work...this year alone i have sent out 3000 plus items...multiply that up by 11 years and not one previous complaint.....thats why i am angry

mikky

Edited by mikky

Are there any specifications for how such equipment should be packed? If there are and you followed them, no problem. If there are not and you followed good practice, also no problem. Explain that you will make a formal written statement to enable your company to claim compensation from the courier company. Any action they take must be "reasonable" i.e. if you send stuff off in a Tesco's bag, expect trouble - if you did everything you are supposed to do there is not a lot anyone can do. It should certainly not result in you losing your job or being put in a position where you are forced to resign. If so, you have a potential unfair dismissal or constructive dismissal claim, particularly if you have a good work record.

Nick

Are there any specifications for how such equipment should be packed? If there are and you followed them, no problem. If there are not and you followed good practice, also no problem. Explain that you will make a formal written statement to enable your company to claim compensation from the courier company. Any action they take must be "reasonable" i.e. if you send stuff off in a Tesco's bag, expect trouble - if you did everything you are supposed to do there is not a lot anyone can do. It should certainly not result in you losing your job or being put in a position where you are forced to resign. If so, you have a potential unfair dismissal or constructive dismissal claim, particularly if you have a good work record.

Nick

no specific method for packing,just tried and tested methods we have used in the past...thousands of items sent in 11 years with no problems..thats whats so annoying

i would stay calm mate its more than likely they want a formal interview with you to make sure you packed the items as per your usual safe method of packing and once thats ascertained they intend to fire a massive pineapple in the direction of the couriers bottom!! after all as long as the package was in good condition when you haded it over into the duty of care of the courier you have no worries. fair enough if you packed it at 5 to 5 on a friday evening and made a ham an eggs of it you may want to be worried but i can't see that being the case :no: :no:

....packed properly...handled by me around the warehouse...transported by me onto the courier...not a scratch....

checked the computer before i left work...this year alone i have sent out 3000 plus items...multiply that up by 11 years and not one previous complaint.....thats why i am angry

mikky

Tell them you resent the fact you are being made scapegoat for the damage to the goods,then point out the above.Seems an extrememly valid point to make in my opinion.

i would stay calm mate its more than likely they want a formal interview with you to make sure you packed the items as per your usual safe method of packing and once thats ascertained they intend to fire a massive pineapple in the direction of the couriers bottom!! after all as long as the package was in good condition when you haded it over into the duty of care of the courier you have no worries. fair enough if you packed it at 5 to 5 on a friday evening and made a ham an eggs of it you may want to be worried but i can't see that being the case :no: :no:

packed properly.......and signed for at the other end as in good condition :hmm:

mikky

What was it? It wasn't a PC! a rack of servers? I have packed many thousands of pounds of gear over the years saw some today that had been put in a normal cardboard box and shipped arrived fine but certainly not best practice most of the military kit i dealt with was shipped in hi density foam often injected into the box after the item. to fill any gaps. This was all from manufacturer, but some of the boxes contents were £40k each, they went out in white vans wrapped in black shrink wrap by the pallet load.

You may find the rep from the courier company at the meeting trying to wriggle from the claim or that the goods were under insured and this is the bite back.

Have they actually said that they want to give you a grilling? It could well be that they just want to talk to you formally so you can put your (experienced) opinion across.

I certainly wouldn't go in there all negative and defensive. A decent employer will want you in there to tell your version of events, not to put the blame on you.

They might be putting together a case for compensation, and have to get all the facts about the package. Take a witness, and a pen and paper. If all was ok when you sent it, then its nothing to do with you. If they start to get shirty, tell them the interview is over and you are coming back with an independent union rep.

Stay calm - tell them your side of the story. Do not give anyone the chance to escalate matters.

At this moment, it would appear you have no case to answer - keep it that way.

If you get stroppy - you may well be in the right - you will suddenly find yourself in the wrong.

Time to bite your lip. Explain calmly and firmly that you believe that you have done your job properly and ask just what it is that you were expected to do differently.

:good: :good: :good:

Good luck Mikky.

Have they actually said that they want to give you a grilling? It could well be that they just want to talk to you formally so you can put your (experienced) opinion across.

I certainly wouldn't go in there all negative and defensive. A decent employer will want you in there to tell your version of events, not to put the blame on you.

there speaks the voice of reason..you are spot on

Stay calm - tell them your side of the story. Do not give anyone the chance to escalate matters.

At this moment, it would appear you have no case to answer - keep it that way.

If you get stroppy - you may well be in the right - you will suddenly find yourself in the wrong.

Time to bite your lip. Explain calmly and firmly that you believe that you have done your job properly and ask just what it is that you were expected to do differently.

:good: :good: :good:

Good luck Mikky.

cheers...only 14 hrs to go

I agree with Gordon pal.

Just be ready to throw a few things back at them if it looks like its going bad for you. Was there a process for you to follow when packing and have you had training.

Try not to let it spoil your evening. Have a couple of beers and chill........you have done nothing wrong.

Go in there listen to what they have to say,

If they start trying to get around to blaming you, just ask how many complaints about your work they have received about the stuff you have packaged in the past.

When they say none, you can say that shows that you have been doing it properly.

As an addage when I did a bit of work for nightfrieght, I picked up a very large control panel, roughly 7 ft x 4ft by 1ft, I had it strapped securley inside the trailer, got back to the depot, backed on dock, was walking alongside it to enter the building when CRASH, I heard it topple and smash on the floor,

When I got inside, 2 blokes were trying to pick it up, I said " good job it was you two that did that and not me", I never heard anything else about it.

Its not your fault but it wont stop you worrying about it tonight though :no:

chin up

:shaun:

I think that staying calm is critical - if difficult. If things appear not to be going your way: insist on having someone with you to witness what is being said and that you record the conversation (many mobile phones have this facility); ask for any complaint against you to be put into writing. As others have said, it is most likely that you will only be asked to confirm that you have done your job properly but it is as well to be prepared. Hope it all goes well.

Nick

Ok a few things spring to mind, are the goods new and is the packaging as they were supplied to you?

If they were boxed and in a metal container with material to stop it being shaken about inside then you can do nothing more. Do you book the couriers? And if so do you add extra insurance to shipping if so there is a stumbling block with any claim if it's not added and their liability will be £10 per kg carried or similar if it's gone overnight. Same day higher cover is usually standard. What you need to do is get the item back so people can work out what has happened, if it's fallen off or got trapped in a conveyor then that's a potential source of the problem. Another I've come across more than a few times is the customer claiming damage and it being fine. Realistically walk into the meeting as though you've done nothing wrong and go from there, be constructive rather than purely defensive they will be most keen on stopping it happening again