air gun v baor

Sheldon Cooper

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would i go hunting Boar with an Air-Rifle=Definately not!

This is not really the Tool for hunting Boar IMO!

But there are airguns then there are airguns , there are some huge calibre airguns you only need look on youtube to see how devastating a big bore gun can be.

the wolverine is 303 calibre running at 100-120 ft lbs some others go to 50cal hardly back garden plinkers !

But there are airguns then there are airguns , there are some huge calibre airguns you only need look on youtube to see how devastating a big bore gun can be.

the wolverine is 303 calibre running at 100-120 ft lbs some others go to 50cal hardly back garden plinkers !

You right mate but really speaking the Wolverine is really the power of a .22 Rimfire.

Boar need a bigger calibre than this IMO.

Edited by bullet boy

Doesn,t do their reputation any good at all IMHO.

It probably does in the US where they hunt with bows and pistols and knives...... even the sumatra .50cal are below the power and speed of a good CF

Team wild are a real bunch of .........

Edited by HDAV

mmm, undecided. When Team Wild ran the Wolverine over a chrono, at 30yds - the distance from which the boar was killed - the energy was down to about 72ft/lb at an average of 808fps. Obviously massively more powerful than your standard air gun, but that still doesn't seem like the right tool for the job, particularly as the air ranger 80 churns that out at its muzzle, yet no one seems to advocate that as a boar gun. The effective range must be drastically limited, even with the massive power of the wolverine. Not too keen on the precedent it sets either; saying air rifles are ok for boar, but it did seem to be a very clean kill!

I wouldn't do it.

This rifle has been reviewed on FieldSportsTV and I got the impression from the commentary towards the end of the review that on the night's rabbit shooting in question sometimes more than one shot was needed to kill a rabbit

Yes, there seems to be clear problems with over penetration with the bunnies. The Daystate website says it's 'more than capable of taking down larger pest species at sensible airgun ranges' but that's pretty ambiguous! If it's over penetrating on rabbits, maybe it's not suitable for them, yet the FieldSports TV reviewer didn't feel confident taking a fox with it, so I don't reall yknow what it's for! Technical exercise of what's possible?

I remember the Gamo .177 with "the famous" PBA pellet test on a boar.... :no: totaly irresponable.

This is something different, 72 ftlbs at 30 yards with a 50grain pellet... how much would that be at the muzzle? 110? 120ftlbs?? .300 = 7,62mm, a complete different story imo. Headshots (on a pig skull) with that power are always deadly at that distance, but if I was that man I should use a 100grain pellet.

Edited by terrier