Razor blades are we being ripped off

fenboy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

My Razor Pit arrived yesterday, the silicon pad has got some real resistance to it so you can see how this would scrape off any muck on the blade!

Time will tell how effective this is. If anyone is interested in one of these, Amazon have a special on them.....

Cos

Thought I'd report in since buying a Razor Pit having read this post.

Been using the Razor Pit for just over 15 weeks now, average 3 shaves per week so that's around 45 shaves so far.

Still using the same blade and this morning the blade was still super smooth and not pulling at all. Very impressed with the Razor Pit, I would have used at least two blades in that time and probably on the third by now. So my investment has been very worth while; Highly recomended.

Cos

I bought Boots cheap (£4) d/e razor and blades recently,

Im finding I get one really close shave and then it pulls :(

My blades on the Fusion power are around £2.50 each blade. If my blade needed changing today which it doesn't, my shaving would cost £12 per year for a really comfortably shave!!

Try it, you won't regret it.....

As I live away from home midweek, I have recently acquired a second razor as my away kit - an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's very similar to the Merkur HD34 I use at home. I'm still experimenting with blades, it seems to be a very personal thing with a blade that comes highly recommended by someone else proving rubbish for you. The very worst I've tried is Boots own brand (made by Dorco), I couldn't get them to shave at all, truly useless. Derbys OK, Astras OK, Gillette 7 O'Clocks good, Feathers very good, but go steady! I've got 3 or 4 more brands from a sample pack to try yet. Absolutely loving traditional shaving though, shaving is a pleasure not a chore now :good:

My blades on the Fusion power are around £2.50 each blade. If my blade needed changing today which it doesn't, my shaving would cost £12 per year for a really comfortably shave!!

Try it, you won't regret it.....

Tried it for years.. no closer than shave with 25p feather D/E blade... also, because of the way multi blade cartridges work (i.e. grab the hair, then pull, then cut) one is far more prone to ingrowers and I used to suffer horribly.. the wife was digging out 3 or 4 times a week... since I switched to D/E I have had no ingrowers at all..

Wouldn't go back now for anything! Also, do you not shave very regularly? Fusion power claim an effortless shave for 5 shaves then just state the blade 'could' last up to 12 weeks.. I found I had to replace every 4 weeks or less as the lube strip disappeared and it started pulling uncomfortably, at over £20 for 8 cartridges that equates to over £40 a year minimum.. I get 1 if not 2 weeks out of a feather D/E so I'm spending between £7 & £13 a year.

BUT..... it's not about the cost.. my razor cost £40 and my brush £50 and by the time I factor in nice pre shave oils and decent creams etc.. shaving costs me far more than it used to with the Fusion or Mach 3 and a bit of gell... the difference now though is that I actually enjoy shaving... it is one of lifes little pleasures rather than a chore I have to do every day! bizarre but true!

EDIT... sorry COSD... just read you weer talking about keeping things in tip top shape with the razor pit... my last paragraph still stands though!

Edited by Vipa

I'm converted!

Never buying a disposable razor or Mach 5 thing again. First shave with a safety razor was pretty much the easiest shave of my life and I only cut myself 3 times, not that I felt it because the blade was so damn sharp.

Nice to see another convert! I made the change 9 months ago to a DE razor. i will never go back to a crappy mach3, 5 or whatever :good:

As I live away from home midweek, I have recently acquired a second razor as my away kit - an Edwin Jagger DE89. It's very similar to the Merkur HD34 I use at home. I'm still experimenting with blades, it seems to be a very personal thing with a blade that comes highly recommended by someone else proving rubbish for you. The very worst I've tried is Boots own brand (made by Dorco), I couldn't get them to shave at all, truly useless. Derbys OK, Astras OK, Gillette 7 O'Clocks good, Feathers very good, but go steady! I've got 3 or 4 more brands from a sample pack to try yet. Absolutely loving traditional shaving though, shaving is a pleasure not a chore now :good:

Ive used Feathers with my DE89 for over a year now and tried Astra Platinum last week. Although not quite as sharp as Feathers, it was a comfortable shave. Not quite as aggressive as feathers but didnt have the drag that I get with blades like Derby or Shark.

• 1 month later...

double edged safety razor £10 worth of blades lasts a year easy. Of course we are ripped off, ive just come back from tenerife with a litre of glenfidich for £19 its £41 in tesco :)

are you forgetting it cost ya £250 to get there and back , would of been cheaper going to tesco :lol::lol: :lol: