Should claimants be paid vouchers to stop spending on 'vices'?

ROY

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the benefits should be JUST ENOUGH to live on so there is no spare money for beer, cigs and holidays.

:good: :good:

I know plenty of people who work hard for a living, who can't afford to drink, smoke, go on holidays, or have expensive hobbies,

so why should those living on benefits be able to afford it.

I think vouchers with ID photo is a very good idea!!!

Edited by Browning

As someone who is disabled and been through the stupid tests ill tell you if they pass they ARE disabled. In these tests they will even just make stuff up to fail you, thats their job, ive failed because i was clean shaven and took my own jacket off, To get the benefits back you have to go through what is practically a court appearance with a representative of the benefits agency a lawyer and a doctor and you have to put a case to them and of course being prodded and poked.

The last time I had my benefits stopped by The private american company ATOS before i even sat down at the "court" they said dont even bother sitting down we will make this quick, there is no medical, legal or moral reason why it should be taken from you and apoligised to me.

The disabled are just being used as scape goats, the real problem with the benefits system is the fact someone perfectly healthy can just say im not working then get everything paid for through housing/council tax/income support/child support benefits etc with no checking up on them.

+1 here - when I was made redundant on health grounds, I was treated with absolute rudeness by the door flunky at the Job centre and basically fobbed off by the counter staff, yet seriously prolific offenders and drug users, who I had been treating only a few weeks before, were talked to as old friends! It took me two years on almost zero income and 4 medicals, not to mention about 100 pages of forms and 3 consultant surgeon's reports, just to be accepted for the NHS disability pension I had been paying into for nearly 40 years! No incapacity for six months while they argued the toss, (my daughter paid the bills and for my food) after it all got sorted, they told me I could have claimed! :angry: Now, 8 years on, they suddenly decide I need £100 a week top-up to an allowance I had never recieved, start paying it without my authority, and completely screw my tax coding, not to mention the pain and distress I suffered having to give back money! :no:

As far as the cards are concerned, keep them for known abusers/offenders, there will always be a black market in goods, but it should cut a bit down on the problem...

If you rely on the state to provide for you then you should take what they give you in whatever form they decide.

They need to crack down on the scroungers and a card sounds like a good idea, looks like you are paying by card just like everyone else so who will be able to tell. Benefits should not be for beer, fags or Sky tv, they should be to keep you fed, warm and housed until you get off your **** and get a job (genuine disabled excluded)

It's degrading for vouchers to be considered.

Whatever the wrongs of the system - and there are plenty of faults - this is totally wrong.

I understand your feeling, but if you are giving a couple of skankies money to buy clothes for their baby you want the money to be spent on the baby not on Tennents Extra and fags.

Great idea. Card or Vouchers

If people are genuinly entitled to benefits why would it be degrading, i am sure if had rely on them to feed and cloth my family i would not care if it were buttons i was paying with. Saying it would be degrading is just a stupid statement.

What they should do is review all benefit claimants more vigorously.

They keep on saying there is a lack of jobs, so atleast reviewing all the benefits will create jobs.

If the government are worried about the crime rate increasing, employ more police, build more prisons.

So all in all the bigger picture = more jobs, less spongers.

Edited by fletcher1234565

Easy to agree with vouchers when it feels like it would never effect yourself of course.

Seems like it's always a stack of money paid out to claimants till you have to try living on it for a few months yourself.

Easy to agree with the peddled view that all claimants are "scum" till you get chronically sick or made unemployed yourself.

Such lazy shallow thinking soon evaporates when God forbid it is yourself that finds claiming benefits is somehow so different from the mythology.

Are there career claimants? of course there are and they should be dealt with along with tax evaders and avoiders (more money to be saved there than from benefit claimants) but Civil Service staffing cuts (you know, the cuts that everyone bays for whenever politicians announce there are too many Civil Servants) make that ever more difficult to do and it 'aint as simple as many here would like it to be at the best of times.

Vouchers - several here have already pointed out the uselessness of that. They wouldn't achieve a single positive thing or cost the country a penny less in reality.

SakoQuad

SakoQuad

·

· Members

·

· 169 posts

· Joined 01-April 12

45]

Posted Today, 09:49 PM

Easy to agree with vouchers when it feels like it would never effect yourself of course.

Seems like it's always a stack of money paid out to claimants till you have to try living on it for a few months yourself.

Easy to agree with the peddled view that all claimants are "scum" till you get chronically sick or made unemployed yourself.

Such lazy shallow thinking soon evaporates when God forbid it is yourself that finds claiming benefits is somehow so different from the mythology.

Are there career claimants? of course there are and they should be dealt with along with tax evaders and avoiders (more money to be saved there than from benefit claimants) but Civil Service staffing cuts (you know, the cuts that everyone bays for whenever politicians announce there are too many Civil Servants) make that ever more difficult to do and it 'aint as simple as many here would like it to be at the best of times.

Vouchers - several here have already pointed out the uselessness of that. They wouldn't achieve a single positive thing or cost the country a penny less in reality.

Absolutely bang on the button SakoQuad – very well stated and oh so accurate.

The stand them in stocks squad and the ones who all think it would be so easy to cure the problems of the British people, don't even seem to have read the whole article - even less understood what it is saying.

Please read on again gentlemen.

This article appeared on the BBC website but – where did it come from? On the face of it you may well think from the BBC!

However nowhere in the article does it say.

The opening statement hints that it is from -

A poll commissioned by think tank Demos suggests most people would support such a move.

Go further down the page and into the centre to the highlighted points in blue.

What do you see? ThePoll was carried out by Populus Data Solutions, based on a survey of 2,052 adults and paid for, in part, by Mastercard.

Keep in mind that final wee bit about paid for in part by Mastercard

Wow! look even further down the page and here Old Cameron gets a mention.

Prime Minister David Cameron has not ruled out exercising more control over how claimants spend their money, although there is no suggestion, so far, that food stamps will be introduced in the UK.

Who asked him and when?

And even further down we have:-

Demos deputy director Claudia Wood said the think tank would be staging a similar debate in Birmingham next week at the Conservative Party conference, which, she added, might produce a very different response.

SO gentlemen: we have a an independently financed poll carried out by a group that I doubt any of us have even heard of until now - following on closely from Labour boy's still warm conference trying to gain support for him taking the moral highground - with him being a thouroughly decent chap from a simple comprehensive school.

How does that fit in with this report? Well apart from the fact that the good old boys network called the BBC is even more syncophantic these days as it continues to try adn bolster the good old left leeaning Labour party by even bringing this article to the public's awareness.

But then goes on to declare:- wait for it!

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites.

Come on gentlemen: stop falling in the way and manner that the puppet masters want you all to.

Pushkin :hmm::good: :good: :good:

I have often thought that people who are on benefits just for unemployment should do some community service for the money. There is so much litter, graffiti, even get them mowing old ladies lawns. I don't care. Not a fan of paying them to sit at home and watch Jeremy Kyle........

I know it is not a popular view but many people on incapacity benefit can do some work. Even if they just sit in a call centre.

I work bloody hard for my money, if they are able to they should give something back to the community.

I am in favour of the welfare state, but only to the limit of keeping people warm, dressed and fed. It should be a miserable pittance of an existence. They should strive to get a job so they can afford things.

The chances are most of this has already been said, however I will rant on!!

If you deserve benefits then so be it I have no problem with that and yes nobody has crystal balls so never knows when life will strike a nasty blow.

To that end yes I think a voucher/credit card type system should be enforced but also other measures should be taken on the lines of how long you have paid into the system. If you have not done a days work in your life then you should get the bare minimum and quite rightly a non cash payment to feed yourselves, if you have worked then your benefits would be increased to allow a steady fall in the lifestyle you are used to.

As for beer, fags, drugs etc then no you should not get them on the house as it were if you want vices pay for them!! If you cant afford it then dont do it go to the re-hab centres and sort yourselves out!!! As for a casual beer then a voucher for your unit allowance per month is not to much to ask in my opinion.

This country is slowly but surely becoming a welfare dependant state and mine along with other hard working individuals wages are funding these people how do you expect to get people back on the straight and narrow when they have no incentive, put them on the bread line, remove their luxuries and then see how many are willing to go to work for an honest days pay!!

The chances are most of this has already been said, however I will rant on!!

If you deserve benefits then so be it I have no problem with that and yes nobody has crystal balls so never knows when life will strike a nasty blow.

To that end yes I think a voucher/credit card type system should be enforced but also other measures should be taken on the lines of how long you have paid into the system. If you have not done a days work in your life then you should get the bare minimum and quite rightly a non cash payment to feed yourselves, if you have worked then your benefits would be increased to allow a steady fall in the lifestyle you are used to.

As for beer, fags, drugs etc then no you should not get them on the house as it were if you want vices pay for them!! If you cant afford it then dont do it go to the re-hab centres and sort yourselves out!!! As for a casual beer then a voucher for your unit allowance per month is not to much to ask in my opinion.

This country is slowly but surely becoming a welfare dependant state and mine along with other hard working individuals wages are funding these people how do you expect to get people back on the straight and narrow when they have no incentive, put them on the bread line, remove their luxuries and then see how many are willing to go to work for an honest days pay!!

+1 :good:

People seem to be very concerned with the idea of stigmatising people for living on handouts being unfair and against the individuals rights. surely that stiigma is part of the intention of the scheme. the idea is that you make living on the dole long term unpleasant to the point that people will consider anything in preference. not just work but even the unpleaseant jobs that need doing for society to function and currently get done by foreigners who send there wages home to eastern europe

A lot of the long term unemployed get so much of a handout that they would actually end up worse off taking a minimum wage job. ( i know there are tax credits that supposed to address this but the relality is that its far from straight forward. I kind of like the idea that the check out girl at asda working long hours at minimum wage could get to sneer at the scum that think the world owes them a living being forced to pay in "i am a scrounger tokens "

Society should support those who have extensive physical or mental problems but everyone else should contribute to society !

Years ago there was a scheme whereby claimants received milk vouchers equivalent to one pint per day per child = £1.47 at the time. Milkmen would give them a quid cash for the vouchers if they didn't want the extra milk. Some of the milkmen made as much as £50 per week on this scam. Nowdays the DSS or whatever they call themselves this week give claimants emergency loans when they, ahem 'lose' all their cash for the fortnight while walking home from the ATM. They pay these £200 loans back at £1 per month, interest free. I used to take lost property reports from them so that they had a number to show to the DSS. It got so bad that I started to interview them as it was obviously a scam and they could nver provide a proper account of their activities. Then I'd phone the DSS up and tell them that I hadn't issued a lost property number and why.

They can also claim emergency loans for bedding allegely damaged that is paid in vouchers resulting in them them selling the newly acquired bed for cash and sleeping on a matress on the floor as was the case before the alleged loss of bedding.

Some of you guys need to see how devious and desperate these people are. Those who abuse the system now would find ways of abusing it if vouchers or a similar method of paying them was brought in. All it would do is create another black market.

I have often thought that people who are on benefits just for unemployment should do some community service for the money. There is so much litter, graffiti, even get them mowing old ladies lawns. I don't care. Not a fan of paying them to sit at home and watch Jeremy Kyle........

I know it is not a popular view but many people on incapacity benefit can do some work. Even if they just sit in a call centre.

I work bloody hard for my money, if they are able to they should give something back to the community.

I am in favour of the welfare state, but only to the limit of keeping people warm, dressed and fed. It should be a miserable pittance of an existence. They should strive to get a job so they can afford things.

The problem with this is that they might be in competition with other businesses or other workers such as council cleaners and groundsmen. I agree with the principle wholeheartedly, but it is important to ensure that the tasks they are put to are not going to create more unemployment. I also agree that many people with incapacities (excluding those with needs that have to be paid for) should not necessarily get more benefits than one without incapacity. If you are unemployed what does it matter?

This problem has already been summed up in that the benefits system is too close to the minimum wages paid to workers and when you take travel costs into account some are worse off working than claiming. So, if you agree that those who don't turn up for community service will receive less benefits as a punishment then you are halfway along the lines of reducing benefits across the board to get some claimants thinking about looking for work.