Badger Cull

crosshair

At what point in history did someone decide Badgers should be protected but not foxes??

JF

Some people want foxes protected as well, as well as many other wild animals. One reason it has worked for some species but not others is that animals such as foxes are considered a greater agricultural pest than badgers.

may i offer a solution, mr may, R.S.P C..A., mr oddie, and any other gobs---tes pay the farmers a fair price for any infected cattle. = no badgers shot , well off farmers, no taxpayers cash. = result. OR PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR F ING MOUTH IS.

Well said.

People say the public oppose the cull, would the public be willing to pay higher prices for their food? Considering how high the cost of living already is, I doubt many would.

Bad news, one inconclusive TB reactor, has to be retested in 60 days.

This is my first inconclusive reactor ever.

Could be a lot worse, my whole herd could have been slaughtered like so

many unfortunate farmers herds throughout the country.

i know how you are feeling mate. our local dairy farm for whom i milk on a weekend has had inconclusive on young heifers twice this year and prior to this we never had any sign of tb. Although an inconclusive isn't perhaps worst case scenario it's a real pain for us as we can't move any livestock off the farm, as you can imagine on a dairy unit we have numbers of calves building up and the cows are due to come inside anytime. with no room for all the livestock it's proving to be a night mare. our second 60 day retest is due early november so we are keeping our fingers crossed, otherwise winter will be a problem.

I sympathise with everyone that has to put up with this disease in their cattle, it is their livelihood.

Also spare a thought for the cattle, they fail the TB test and they get shot, Badgers are allowed to live.

How long can this go on for ?, our dairy and beef herds are disappearing fast.

I too have a lot of store cattle to sell before the winter comes and they are housed inside,

it means extra feed for them following a bad summer, it looks like I will be following the other beef boys

and cut right back on the numbers.

I am in what is called a clean area, but this disease is spreading fast, and being a hill farm I wont be

growing vegetables.

The inconclusive reactor is a six year old cow due to calve in December, the same time that she is

due to be re-tested. :no:

I keep hearing the old tale that most roadkill badgers are actually shot or poisoned then thrown onto the road to disguise the way they died. Mr May repeated this in an interview with Farmers Weekly and was challenged to provide evidence - he couldn't, but said "I'm sure I can get some" !!! (Dam sure he would already have it if it existed!)

Anyway, I recall reading of a study done in Wales a while ago where they collected dozens of roadkill badgers and post-mortemed them to see what percntage had inddeed been shot or poisoned. The conclusion as I remember surprised everybody as it was a big fat zero - every one appeared to have actually been killed in a traffic collision. Trouble is can't remember where I read it or who did the study (maybe DEFRA?) Does anyone else know of this study and does anyone have a link to it?

Bad news, one inconclusive TB reactor, has to be retested in 60 days.

This is my first inconclusive reactor ever.

Could be a lot worse, my whole herd could have been slaughtered like so

many unfortunate farmers herds throughout the country.

Rob I hope all goes well today. I have everything than can be crossed, crossed.

10 o clock news reporter says not enough fire power !

Count me in that's 1 less to find, anyone else volunteering ?

Pretty lame reason Ferrit, first the weather then wrong stats' now firepower. What next do you think wrong kind of snow!! There has got to be enough responsible field sports people and farmers out there who would step in. How much has the "study" cost so far ???????????

As a previous poster has said put "badgers on the general license", it then becomes a quiet out of sight out of mind activity and hardly any cost to the taxpayer unlike this current farce. Surprised no one at Wasteminster (not a typo) has thought of this simple solution Unless they are. avoiding further protests from the anti's.

ATB

Bri

Pretty lame reason Ferrit, first the weather then wrong stats' now firepower. What next do you think wrong kind of snow!! There has got to be enough responsible field sports people and farmers out there who would step in. How much has the "study" cost so far ???? ???? ???

As a previous poster has said put "badgers on the general license", it then becomes a quiet out of sight out of mind activity and hardly any cost to the taxpayer unlike this current farce. Surprised no one at Wasteminster (not a typo) has thought of this simple solution Unless they are. avoiding further protests from the anti's.

ATB

Bri

That would be the worst thing to do because it would split up groups of badgers and make them move on carrying the disease further. You effectively need to hit the cull areas and kill as close to all badgers as you can to stand a chance of success then once you are getting on top of it keep testing cattle and every time you get an outbreak wipe out badgers round that farm. Its not an easy thing to do and because they have to get results to be able to keep culling they really need to hit them hard fast. I gather the reason for the issue is the Olympics and the local police wouldn't have had the manpower to deal with the antis to let them start earlier in the year. As most of us know its straight after harvest when its warm you see most badgers out and that is when you need to hit them not now when its wet and dark and they are staying underground more.

Good luck crosshair it sounds like it will be a grim time till you get tested clear it really couldn't be a worse time of year.

Phew, actually had a verbal agreement today telling me I can now sell the store cattle before the winter sets in proper.

I'm one of the lucky one's, must be heart breaking for those in the hotspot areas, with no end in sight.

The policy of kill the cattle and let the Badger live is bullocks.

And the tree huggers still promote their mythical vaccine.

I was talking to a farmer on our shoot he said there is no tb in scotland ? True??? I dunno

Not true. I was talking to a professor of microbiology who made this same statement, which then begged the obvious question "any badgers and if so, do they have TB?"

I did some research on this and there is TB in Scotland but nowhere near the amount in England and Wales. However, the local research isn't straight forward but here's a link to be going on with.

http://www.bovinetb.info/scotland.php

Phew, actually had a verbal agreement today telling me I can now sell the store cattle before the winter sets in proper.

I'm one of the lucky one's, must be heart breaking for those in the hotspot areas, with no end in sight.

The policy of kill the cattle and let the Badger live is bullocks.

And the tree huggers still promote their mythical vaccine.

phew, that's a result then