talk to me about scopes

borich

I am looking for a scope for my .22 rim fire and the internet is awash with different opinions etc. I have read that you should be willing to spend as much on the scope as the gun which I'm willing to do. This scope will also be part of the NS200 night vision even setup. I look forward to your thoughts.

on a .22 a hawk is fine ,nice and clear ,ive had people say if you spend a grand on a rifle then spend 2 grand on the glass ,well ive pent £1500 on my AR15 and i got a fleebay £75 ZOS from hong kong sat on it and @200m you can see the 223 rounds going through the paper ,if its for hunting you dont really want any more power than X6 or X8 ,but like the old saying you pay for what you get lol

As above don't spend silly money on a x25 by fiftysomething you won't need it on a 22lr stick with a decent usable mag x12 max poss just a x8 by 40/50 with a unclutered screen image I use a leuopold vx1 on my 22 and it's more than enough for what it need for ..

But then again that's just my opinion if you are after a cheaper one you might be better off putting a post in the wanted section for a pre loved one and save some money from new ???

Always an emotive subject which comes round and round, spend what you like, but you will not stop any more bunnies with £2000 on top of your rimfire than £100. Most expensive scope on any of these about £100, two a lot less.

They work and I have NEVER refused or missed a shot because of the scope!

post-20848-0-99100100-1351063370_thumb.jpg

Top 2 are Hawke Varmint, bottom 2 are JSR Target Pro.

Edited by Dekers

I can't recommend the Burris Fullfield enough, I have mine on a ruger 10/22 and bought it because it is small and light. I have been astonished with how well it works for my needs. The glass is very clear compared to my other scopes (simmons 44, mtc etc) it doesn't have parallex adjustment but it hasn't been noticed really. The reticle is the ballistic plex one and its the best part of the scope. Zero'd at 50 with subs and I have easily identified marks at 75, 100, and even 150 yards which is nice.

Mine was less than £200 from the states.

Edit: mine is the 3-9-42

http://www.burrisoptics.co.uk/fullfieldE1.html

Edited by Brisa

As has been said for the 22 rimmy you dont need to spend big money, I would recomend a x12 max, non paralax adjustment and a mil dot type ret, where you can work out the markings to cover you for longer ranges. I have a Hawke Panorama EV (£150) but did not get a mil dot type ret so will be looking myself soon for e new one in that spec. I zero at 60m and tend not to use the 22 lr for anything over 80 yards but might be tempted if I had the mil dot ret to push it out to 100 once I was in the know which mark was hitting constantly at that range. Anything over that, I would get the HMR out.

Happy scope shopping :good:

As has been said for the 22 rimmy you dont need to spend big money, I would recomend a x12 max, non paralax adjustment and a mil dot type ret, where you can work out the markings to cover you for longer ranges. I have a Hawke Panorama EV (£150) but did not get a mil dot type ret so will be looking myself soon for e new one in that spec. I zero at 60m and tend not to use the 22 lr for anything over 80 yards but might be tempted if I had the mil dot ret to push it out to 100 once I was in the know which mark was hitting constantly at that range. Anything over that, I would get the HMR out.

Happy scope shopping :good:

Something with the ballistic plex reticle from burris sounds perfect for you. Its not the kind of scope you sit down and dial in but for quick accurate target aquisition then its perfect.

I'll mostly be shooting at night with ns2000 night vision and this scope seems to meet my requirements hawke eye Nite-Eye Digital 6-24x50 SR12 for 199. When applying for fac rifle do you apply to have two rifle one for day setup and the other for day setup?

I'll mostly be shooting at night with ns2000 night vision and this scope seems to meet my requirements hawke eye Nite-Eye Digital 6-24x50 SR12 for 199. When applying for fac rifle do you apply to have two rifle one for day setup and the other for day setup?

:hmm: :hmm: Part of the appeal of the NS200 is you DO NOT NEED a dedicated night rifle, it sets up and takes off in 2 minutes and you can use it day AND night with a full colour screen! :hmm::yes::good:

I think i am correct in saying, beware that the nitesite to scope connector is indeed compatible with the actual scope chosen. I beleive that not all scopes are compatible, e.g. ones with the i r rheostat at the eyepiece end of the scope can prove uncompatible.

Hawke, Simmons, nikko and nikons prostaff are all good in the £100-150 range and fine for rimfire.

If you want to spend a bit more look at secondhand meopta scopes or if you've got a bit more a new meopta or secondhand s&b.

You don't need to spend the extra but you'll not regret doing it if you do.

Edited by bicykillgaz

I think i am correct in saying, beware that the nitesite to scope connector is indeed compatible with the actual scope chosen. I beleive that not all scopes are compatible, e.g. ones with the i r rheostat at the eyepiece end of the scope can prove uncompatible.

The rubber tubes that come with the NiteSite will not fit all makes of scopes, especially the ones mentioned above. I use a DSA with mine.