Mid rib beads

Nikk

My Miroku has a mid rib bead. Now apart from the fact you are supposed to be looking at the target and apparently never at the barrel (or beads??) I find my eyes drawn to the bead and more so to whether or not they are lining up.

So firstly even though you aren't supposed to be looking at them, when you mount your shotgun (and imagining you also have a mid rib bead) would those beads be lining up or would the one at the end of the barrel be slightly higher than the mid one?

The reason this is becoming a pain for me is because I find I am mounting my shotgun a bit higher up on my shoulder, this makes the beads line up and I am breaking more clays. That's all well and good but I am trying to find whether there is something actually wrong with either my mount or the fit of my gun.

Also I am actually thinking to remove the damn thing because it is becoming a massive distraction.

In general do people think they are a good thing or a bad thing. I have been repeatedly told by a coach not to look at the barrel of the gun which must mean not to look at the bead as well, the logic being if the mount is correct the gun will be pointing where I look.

Cheers in advance

Nick

I wouldn`t have a gun with a mid rib bead for exactly the reasons you have posted. I don`t look at the end bead on my gun when I`m shooting but when I`ve shot with guns with 2 beads my eye is distracted. I owned a Browning with 2 beads and had to part with it after 6 months

Bill

I can have it removed no problem and probably will do but I am now obsessed with what my sight picture should look like after mounting.

I don't know why they put them on in the first place, it just encourages bad practice in my opinion.

I had a mid bead fitted to my miroku and it didn't help much at all, but it sound like it has highlighted a problem with you having incorrect gun fit or it has corrected your gun fit whichever away you want to view it. The bottom line is you are hitting more.

Could i suggest unscrewing the bead for a while and see what happens or go to a reputable dealer and have the gun properly fitted to ,I did this and have been amazed at the difference

I'm hitting more by shooting wrong in my opinion.

I'm using my peripheral vision to pay attention to where the bead is in relation to the target and also whether they are lined up. Basically my brain is all over the place.

My shotgun is now not in what I consider my shoulder pocket and higher up as if I was shooting with a rifle....I guess someone else could tell me if they watched. The other thing I noticed was before I changed my position to line the beads up I was ducking my head down on tot he stock another nasty habit.

It's time for another lesson I suppose but lessons for guns and dogs are costing a fortune :D

My Miroku has a mid bead but i dont even know its there when im shooting either Olympic Skeet or Sporting.

But i do tend to line the two beads up to form a figure of eight when im shooting DTL or ABT.

Try to get this bead lark out of your head, conentrate on the targets not the beads.

Edited by samboy

I had a mid bead fitted to my miroku and it didn't help much at all, but it sound like it has highlighted a problem with you having incorrect gun fit or it has corrected your gun fit whichever away you want to view it. The bottom line is you are hitting more.

Could i suggest unscrewing the bead for a while and see what happens or go to a reputable dealer and have the gun properly fitted to ,I did this and have been amazed at the difference

Yes I personally think the fit is wrong, I had 1/2 an inch taken off the stock because I felt it was longer. This no doubt also has an effect on where my cheek is resting on the stock? Would it make the gun too low now or too high?

Cheers

My Miroku has a mid bead but i dont even know its there when im shooting either Olympic Skeet or Sporting.

But i do tend to line the two beads up to form a figure of eight when im shootind DTL or ABT.

Try to get this bead lark out of your head, conentrate on the targets not the beads.

Hi I've seen a few threads mention figure of eight...what does this mean?

Is it that the front bead is just on top of the mid one?

Yes I agree about forgetting about it but I am one of those people that over analyses everything!!

Cheers

So lets say I fire my gun like a rifle, stack the beads up in a figure of 8 where would you place that end bead in relation to a target you were aiming at? Right on it or just under it? I noticed that if I lined them up I was breaking the clay just under the end bead and out of sight.

As soon as I sort out my mount issue I'm getting rid of the mid one and possible both.

Well I just mounted my gun into the mirror. The first thing I notice is that 60-70% of the time the beads aren't in allignment with the end bead slightly to the left of the mid one and also I am tilting my head over to the right slightly...not a pretty sight

Well I just mounted my gun into the mirror. The first thing I notice is that 60-70% of the time the beads aren't in allignment with the end bead slightly to the left of the mid one and also I am tilting my head over to the right slightly...not a pretty sight

So 30-40% of the time the beads are in alignment.

That just sounds like a very inconsistent mount to me. You really need to have a couple of lessons to sort that out before you look at changing anything else.

Have a word with Brian (Beretta) he'll sort you out, and he's not far from you.

My sporter has two beads,which I'm only aware of when practising my mount...just to see I'm mounting the gun correctly.That is their only purpose,and unless I'm mistaken the fore bead is supposed to sit on top of the mid bead and form a figure 8 when aligned correctly.Because I practice mounting my gun a lot,they do in fact line up like this each time.I'm not aware of them at all when actually shooting,as all my concentration is on the target,but I am aware of the end of the barrel as a sort of a peripheral blur,if this makes sense.

One old boy at a gamefair some years ago,who belonged to the Worshipful or Venerable Organisation of Master Gunfitters(or something like that)told a mate and me that if your gun is mounted correctly you should be able to put a 'threpenny bit'(he used a pound coin to demonstrate)mid way down the barrels and the front bead should just be visible over the top of it.Whether this applies to all guns and all people I have no idea.

You could try taking both beads off your gun,stand in front of a mirror,close your eyes and then mount your gun,open your eyes,and WITHOUT MOVING EITHER YOUR GUN OR HEAD,see where in the mirror your right eye(left if left handed)is in relation to the rib.You may have to close your none shooting eye to see this clearly.My right eye is perfectly aligned with the rib,with just a small gap between the bottom of the eye lid and the top of the rib.If you're looking down one side of your barrels or you can't see your eye,which means you're looking at the opening lever/safety catch,then you've got a problem,which is either incorrect mount,an ill-fitting gun,or a master eye issue....or all three.

If the weather is going to be cold and wet,I don the coat I will be using that day,and just practice the mount maybe half a dozen times before going out.I find it amazing that hardly any shooters practise their mount AT ALL!Golfers always practise their swing,snooker players practise their cue action,tennis players practise their swing,and I'll bet the top shooters don't go from one competition to the other withour practising their mount in between,yet I know many shooters,and some of them game shooters,who don't shoot at all from one season to the next,who pick up their gun and then wonder why their shooting never seems to improve and they can't hit anything.

If you can't hit anything it isn't down to the beads.... or the chokes for that matter,until you can consistently and corrctly mount your gun in the same place each and every time you mount it,you wont get far I'm afraid.

A good coach can help,but the practise is down to you.

Edited by Scully

if your gun fits you ,you should only see the target/bird :good:, if you want sights on your shotgun i know the yanks have a halo red dot for duck shooting ,we tried this with a saiga 12 on deeks and it was a ace crack ,just keep the red dot just in front of the target,,,and i forgot to turn it on once trying to save the battery and lined up the pigeon in the view screen and it dropped

Both my Browning and my Benelli have mid beads and I also have an easy hit on the Browning. I found them useful when I first started clay shooting, stack the beads into a vertical 'figure 8' - obviously with the rear bead on top, or you wouldn't be able to see both of the beads. Now that my shooting is more consistent with more and more practice, I don't even see them, they don't annoy me, because they don't even register, as I am looking at the clay. The easy hit helped initially as I have slightly cross-dominant vision, but a piece of tape on the relevant part of my left glasses lens cured that. The only time I use the beads now is for dry mounting in the mirror. If the 'figure 8' is all over the place, you have mounting problems, if your sight picture is jumping about, you may have cross-dominant vision. A session with a decent coach should sort out the issues, all the best....

Edited by Bloke

Well I had a bit of a think about this, firstly my coach didn't like to discuss the questions I was asking about beads because his opinion was that I was spending too much time thinking about it and he wanted me just to look at the target. Unfortunately when I have a burning question like this it tends to distract me from things until I have the answer. So now I know how the beads should look if I were to look at them i.e. when I practice my mount, I can practice my mount and check alignment and then go out and shoot hopefully just focusing on the target. The issue behind this thread is that I wasn't sure what the sight picture of a good mount was going to look like...now I do.

I don't have cross dominance but that easy hit bead looks brilliant.

Your stock is too straight or doesn`t have enough drop!

Common enough problem with off the peg guns.

I have a gun that mis-fits me just the same !I can shoot well enough with it,but

it`s something else to think about,and causes misses when you get snap chances !

It`s been altered as much as it can be, but it`s never a `go to` gun when I`m really

bothered about shooting well !

Well that was fun!

My mount has turned in to a pile of steaming pooh since my last lessons and I've been doing all kinds of weird stuff to compensate.

I've been put back on track and I need to stop being lazy and work on my mount at home and keep up with the lessons.