poxy pigging blackthorn

Jolly

super spaniel (4wd can go under bushes tonka toy dog) dragged me through about 6 blackthorn hedges on saturday while we were beating and i was done severely, right wrist is agony neck hurts and both knees are swollen i hate the blinking stuff

Edited by Jolly

Evil stuff. I do like the wood it produces though. And im partial to a bit of sloe vodka too.

I spent a good part of the summer hacking my way through a field of the stuff with a machete. A client had purchased the land to extend his already massive garden, but it had been neglected by the farmer for several years, and it was infested with blackthorn, hawthorn, brambles, nettles, pretty much every painful plant you could imagine.

Great read, thanks guest1957

Years ago I had a sore knee for months and months and every so often a boil would come up full of puss. Eventually following my usual squeezing to relive it a flippin huge Blackthorn came out point first !! Body must have turned it round to expel it !

Get the same symptoms as blackthorn if I get spiked with a huge shrub in the garden, same structure as blackthorn but semi evergreen with small white flowers / berries so watch out folks.

Cheers

J

I got one in my finger yesterday on someone's advice I'm trying a magnesium cream that draw stuff out. Hope it works can't be doing with a mank finger

Old fashioned remedy for you (once you have the offending item out) depending what it was infection may well have set in. As my old mother used to say if the red line creeping up your arm reaches your heart your a goner ??? Long storey short I got a finger punctured with something as a kid, don'remember what. And OMG there was the red line creeping up my left hand (the worst accordning to Ma).

What she did was to stand a bar of soap in a saucer of water untli the underside was mushy, then she spread it onto a suitable sized bandage and sprinkled sugar thickly onto it. Wrapped the injured area with it and two days later...red line of death gone, infection gone.

Anyone else heard of this remedy?

Great read, thanks guest1957

Years ago I had a sore knee for months and months and every so often a boil would come up full of puss. Eventually following my usual squeezing to relive it a flippin huge Blackthorn came out point first !! Body must have turned it round to expel it !

Get the same symptoms as blackthorn if I get spiked with a huge shrub in the garden, same structure as blackthorn but semi evergreen with small white flowers / berries so watch out folks.

Cheers

J

Pyrocanther ??

This I is an nasty one Firethorn - Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' - Flowers white in June, with bright orange-red berries. Thorny stem.

beening a gardener this is not my best shrub I like cutting I remember an old lady telling me about soap bandage as kids we used to go exploring around fields I grabbed a branch a felt a sharp pain in my thumb still to day at 41 I can still feel a small lump in my thumb joint

This I is an nasty one Firethorn - Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' - Flowers white in June, with bright orange-red berries. Thorny stem.

beening a gardener this is not my best shrub I like cutting I remember an old lady telling me about soap bandage as kids we used to go exploring around fields I grabbed a branch a felt a sharp pain in my thumb still to day at 41 I can still feel a small lump in my thumb joint

Thats the one ! Was over 6m tall when we moved in and now finally after a few years got down to about 3m !! Old wood is hard as nails and so spikey !!

Cheers

Jason