second gun cabinet

rapid12

Won't hurt to drop them a line notifying them. As long as you fit it nice and secure like your other, I doubt they'll even come out until they need to. If in doubt at all, just give them a ring and enquire. My FEO's office are actually quite nice and helpful.

Or, you could jump on the 'hate the police' bandwagon and not tell them out of principle.

Your call. I know what I would do :)

Edited by huffhuff

Although I doubt there is a law (I am sure someone will be along in a minute to correct me if I am wrong!) - Lincs Police certainly ask you to tell them of any changes and come when they are in the area to check them. I don't see the problem, and when I changed my house insurance and asked if my guns were covered, the salesman said yes, as long as they are stored in approved cabinets when at home, that are approved by my local police as checked. No real hassle to let my FEO know, and it gives me a chance to get all the shooting gossip from him- top bloke!

Security of firearms is your responsibility and yours alone. There is no requirement in law to have them vetted by an feo.

Absolutely. :yes: :yes: :good:

But if it will make you feel easier then let the police know.

For heavens sake don't let Bedwards1966 find out if you do, or it will be more fuel for his Police State tirade! :lol: :lol: :good:

Round here the last two times I moved they just phoned up to confirm the address change asked the cabinets location and whether it was bolted to the wall and that was it job done. I would drop them an e-mail if I fitted a second cabinet but I can't see they would be too worried they didn't come out and see the main one. Vice versa I didn't tell them when i moved a cabinet 3 times during building work on a previous house each time they did actually come out it was somewhere different and never mentioned it.

Absolutely. :yes: :yes: :good:

But if it will make you feel easier then let the police know.

For heavens sake don't let Bedwards1966 find out if you do, or it will be more fuel for his Police State tirade! :lol: :lol: :good:

Have you noticed every time said poster wants to comment there is the pre cursor of "I think" now that also means I also have no idea but will drop something into the mix anyway just to see who I can confuse even if it is completely wrong :lol:

When I upgraded my cabinet i informed the FEO before i did anything and supplied what even he probably thought was possibly an over the top level of information........FEO decided he was satisfied and didn't need to visit .

remember if you are upgrading to the point where you can hold/ want to hold a large number of guns(usually taken as 10 but not defined as such ) the home office guidance starts to require a higher level of securityin addition to the cabinet .

Edited by Canis

just gave my feo a quick ring when i put my second one in.

in all honesty its just easier, gives them the oppertunity to check if they want, and update your records as to your storage capacity.

surely its better that way round than having a call saying you've got 'y' amount of firearms/shotguns and on record only have storage facility for 'x' amount.

not from personal experience of course. :innocent:

hi,

i have a second gun cabinet which i need to fit soon as my main one is full :good:

do i need to phone my fao to inspect once fitted.

cheers.

No.

J.

Security of firearms is your responsibility and yours alone. There is no requirement in law to have them vetted by an feo.

Well said.

J.

Won't hurt to drop them a line notifying them. As long as you fit it nice and secure like your other, I doubt they'll even come out until they need to. If in doubt at all, just give them a ring and enquire. My FEO's office are actually quite nice and helpful.

Or, you could jump on the 'hate the police' bandwagon and not tell them out of principle.

Your call. I know what I would do :)

Nothing to do with a 'hate the police' attitude. The chap asked whether he had to tell the police. The answer is most certainly NO. Why would you do something that you are not required to do? We constantly complain about how long it takes the police to grant, renew and vary certificates and every time you notify them of something or ask them a question it fills up time during which they aren't available to do other things.

J.

My FEO told me if / when I put another cabinate in I will need to ring them to see it in place and approve it.

That isn't true though. It could only be a requirement if they appended a condition to that effect to your FAC which they would never do.

If you didn't tell him then what is he going to do about it? Nothing is the answer because there is nothing he can do.

J.

When I upgraded my cabinet i informed the FEO before i did anything and supplied what even he probably thought was possibly an over the top level of information........FEO decided he was satisfied and didn't need to visit .

remember if you are upgrading to the point where you can hold/ want to hold a large number of guns(usually taken as 10 but not defined as such ) the home office guidance starts to require a higher level of securityin addition to the cabinet .

It doesn't. There is not 'required' level of security other than the level which is contained in the condition on your certificate. That being, 'reasonable precautions to prevent access by unauthorised persons'.

J.

just gave my feo a quick ring when i put my second one in.

in all honesty its just easier, gives them the oppertunity to check if they want, and update your records as to your storage capacity.

surely its better that way round than having a call saying you've got 'y' amount of firearms/shotguns and on record only have storage facility for 'x' amount.

not from personal experience of course. :innocent:

+1 just what i did , he popped round verified my storage amount and a extra ammo/bolt safe i got , He gave me the firm impression thats the procedure , from a double up in storage and house move and got a visit , and both visits within 6 months of the other . After i notified of both move and extra storage i was ok to use them pre-visit. I felt better he had been and confirmed capacity + situ , and a good chat and brew . Edited by bongo321

I did but then again it was for my FAC ,I'm moving soon does any one know if I tell them first ,sorry to hijack

Just tell them afterwards and they'll have the choice whether they want to come out to re-inspect. If it's a different force they will almost definitely want to come out as you will be new to them. Prior to the move, store your guns somewhere safe (temp storage with an RFD) so you can move and refix your cabinet without it being the No1 priority on moving day.

To the OP, there is no requirement to inform them of a second cabinet, but I'd give them a bell just out of courtesy. It's their call then.

Interesting thread - we all refuse to advise the police when we go out lamping and yet we'll call them out to check a cabinet just so we are 'on their right side'.

If you are given an FAC, they check at first visit - beyond that you are responsible to provide the security they advise you of - if you dont you lose your guns its as simple as that.

We all know what 'approved' cabinet means and endless threads of where to fix the things shows we can sort that too. I am amazed that those who wont go for public safety will go for 'personal protection'.

I have installed 2 safes and only shown the police at renewal when they were coming anyway.

Have any of you had new guns granted without a place to put them - the police dont need to know about security - its YOUR responsibility.