How can one subsonic cycle when another doesn't?!

njc110381

After a bit of consideration and a gun of mine coming up for sale I recently found myself back in the world of semi auto .22lr ownership. It's a 10/22 SYSS custom which I had made about four years ago then quite quickly sold on due to me newbie fear of the dreaded ricochet! Now I'm a bit more experienced and confident I've been using the LR a bit and wanted another semi. When my old one came up for sale I had to buy it as it was quite a saving on having one built now.

I took it to the range to play with it and all the memories came flooding back... Great fun, a big waxy mess and jams! Why the hell do they do it? I just can't get my head around it.

I started off with Winchester subs. It will quite literally jam after every other shot which is a pain as I've got a new brick of 500 in the safe. Eleys on the other hand are fine. Mag after mag went through with little trouble until the wax built up enough to clog the mag and stopped it feeding.

I used to use CCI subs and they worked well but how come it matters so much? Surely they're almost identical in powder charge, bullet weight and case size? I need to go out and get a load of Eley's or CCI's now - I'll leave it up to which of those work best in my CZ to decide which ones I buy. I expected the Eleys to be pretty bad with all that wax but actually they're not too bad.

Different powder and pressure curve. The 0-700 velocity is faster than other rounds that don't cycle, but the pressure drops off faster. Could also be friction from the cartridge casings being different.

I would measure the outer diameter of a dozen of the winnie subs cases to see if they are thicker in the wall by a half a thou or so.

Rick

One of my 10/22s won't fire eley and love winchesters the other loves winny and not eley they both fire CCI well and the segmenting ones group brilliantly in both.

It must be a chamber or headspace thing but the Amos cheap enough to find one for the gun then just use that. Spoke to my local RFD a he gave me a mix match to try out

I have a CZ 511, when I got it (cheap used) it wouldnt cycle very well at all, i found the mag lips to be slightly out of wack, after a a little twaeaking and some trials I've now got it cycling anything I stick in it.... I might get one jam in 100 shots.

The rugers plastic mags but could it be worn?

I have a CZ 511, when I got it (cheap used) it wouldnt cycle very well at all, i found the mag lips to be slightly out of wack, after a a little twaeaking and some trials I've now got it cycling anything I stick in it.... I might get one jam in 100 shots.

Mine wont entertain CCI subs at all,but Winchesters work perfect. The Winchesters subs are absolutely faultless and without tempting fate will happily cycle 500 rounds with no problems.

http://www.impactgun...3364452000.aspx

You can certainly adjust the bolt speed on this

I think you might have the wrong end of the stick there mate - "Blowback system" is the standard type of action for semi-auto .22 rimfire and some low powered centrefire pistol cartridges such as something like a .32 S&W, as opposed to something like a 9mm or .45ACP that uses some sort of locked breech system.

I've never come across gas operated semi-auto .22 rimfire action and there is no practical way of slowing down the bolt recycling time without changing the recoil/firing pin springs.

There are a few odd types like the Voere .22 semi-auto that you can lock the breech and basically use as a bolt action or as a semi-auto but not many.

The pressure of cartridges will vary from manufacture to manufacturer . As far as waxy bullets are concerned ,just wipe them over with a clean rag and remove the wax . Enough wax will be left behind to lube the bullets . Some manufacturers tend to use excessive amounts of wax . Find a round that suits your gun and stick with it .

Harnser .

Mine wont entertain CCI subs at all,but Winchesters work perfect. The Winchesters subs are absolutely faultless and without tempting fate will happily cycle 500 rounds with no problems.

Agreed on the winchesters, cant remember the last time I had a jam with them, cci's go through ok with the rare jam.

When I first got the rifle it wouldnt cycle anything but winchester, it was all in the mag lips, a little tweaking and some cycle tests got her chewing anything... even remington subs!

Edited by thepasty

Apparently you can do a bit of work on them to make them better. Polishing the bolt, rounding off the part that resets the hammer and actually polishing the hammer a bit too. I'm not sure how much of this SYSS have already done, they've done the auto bolt release so could well have done other stuff?

Grease as others have said is teh issue.

I have used Eley 36 and 40gr bullets for the last 20 years in 10/22 clones. They are clean (ish) and offer decent stopping power. I have tried the new CCI and found them to work pretty well.

Winchester and magtech with that massive open nose work great in bolt actions and down range but the heavy grease on the bullets will jam a clean semi in about 20 rounds.

A

After a bit of consideration and a gun of mine coming up for sale I recently found myself back in the world of semi auto .22lr ownership. It's a 10/22 SYSS custom which I had made about four years ago then quite quickly sold on due to me newbie fear of the dreaded ricochet! Now I'm a bit more experienced and confident I've been using the LR a bit and wanted another semi. When my old one came up for sale I had to buy it as it was quite a saving on having one built now.

I took it to the range to play with it and all the memories came flooding back... Great fun, a big waxy mess and jams! Why the hell do they do it? I just can't get my head around it.

I started off with Winchester subs. It will quite literally jam after every other shot which is a pain as I've got a new brick of 500 in the safe. Eleys on the other hand are fine. Mag after mag went through with little trouble until the wax built up enough to clog the mag and stopped it feeding.

I used to use CCI subs and they worked well but how come it matters so much? Surely they're almost identical in powder charge, bullet weight and case size? I need to go out and get a load of Eley's or CCI's now - I'll leave it up to which of those work best in my CZ to decide which ones I buy. I expected the Eleys to be pretty bad with all that wax but actually they're not too bad.

I only shoot winchester subs (the most cost effect consistant round I've used) in my cz511 semi... can go through 500 rounds without a jam.

I have a CZ bolt action, and a ruger 10/22, and guess what, the cz only likes eley, and the ruger winchester, yes it will cycle eleys, but you then get jams,

although keeping the action clean stops jams as well, how many winchesters did you put through it before jams?

mine will fire off a 100 or so then need a strip and clean otherwise it will even jam with winneys,