Bag limit

Goose hunt

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a large local estate that at times has between 50 and 90,000 geese on it for most of the winter. They used shoot the geese only 3-4 times a year ( now there is no shooting of the wild geese ) , but they do not have any serious problems with crop damage. As long as the weather is not very wet the geese do no dammage to the wheat or barley during the winter. Indeed it was common pratice in the past to put sheep onto the crop to increase the yeild. Grazed wheat produces 2 instead of the usual 1 head of seed. The carrots are protected by covering with straw and spuds harvested before the geese arrive in numbers. The farm management of the estate takes into account the geese in their management plan.

These a potential for dammage to wheat\barley once it starts to grow in the spring, but the geese should never be allowed to build up high numbers to do the dammage , but moved on mainly by firing a few shots over them. If they quickly return they fire a few firework rockets at them and you will not see them return again for some time. they realy hate rockets. I have said this so many times THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOOT WILD GEESE TO PROTECT CROPS. Geese are very easy to keep off crops when compared to pigeons. So again I say shoot a few and enjoy the sport and then put scarers in place. As for bird scarers I doubt if there is a farmer in the land who does not have a pigeon banger. To say say you have to shoot them is an excuse , there are so many other ways to keep them off the crops.

Edited by anser2

Shooting geese over decoys does not appeal to me at all, but if the farmer had problems I would by all means go and try and keep them off by other means. That's not saying I would not flight them on the journey to the field but to shoot them like pigeons coming into my decoys just don't seem right. If you want to know what I would set as a bag limit over decoys I would say three or four as long as you dressed them and eat them. Just my opinion.

I took 5 geese this season, having driven over 560+ miles frankly it would have cheaper to go to the supermarket but lying in the mud waiting for the sun rise beats anything I have ever done. pest control vs wildfowling are poles apart. the ethics of the latter do not come into it as its down to the individual but leaving corpses lying around to rot is shameful. I have met punt gunners this year who have encouraged discretion over shooting near a roost yet at the same time will take more than I might shoot in 10 trips. Not that i dont approve of puntgunning because i actually i respect the risks they take for their sport but not sure we will ever all agree on whats a sensible bag limit.

I have shot greys and canadas over decoys once or twice, shooting less than 15 birds between 2-3 guns per flight. I would certainly not do it often, as i have to find a home for the birds and the chance doesn't come along too often.

On the foreshore, i may shoot up to 6 pinks if i had people who wanted them. Right now i have 4 pinks in my fridge and if i go out after them again soon, that may have a bearing on how many i choose to harvest.

Is any1 from the north west?? Lancashire !

Yes, that would be me then I guess :hmm:

I Shoot no more than 4 geese a flight, but hat is not every flight. If I had shot 4 in a morning, I would not shoot more than one or two next time, & only then if I had a need for them (ie a big batch of sausage rolls to make for a shoot day dinner).

I dont shoot over decoys.

I think anser 2 talks a lot of sence & reason.

Edited by sky gipsy

I last shot geese over deycoys inland last when i was about 22-23 yrs of age- i am in my mid forties now and have no great burning desire to do it again in my lifetime. Crop protection is an often used excuse, yet rarely is it the case- like dekers has already said about shooting them on the ground with rifles there is no law against this and it does tend to clear a field of grey geese for many years to come (for some reason they learn from it very much faster even when you only shoot a few) i doubt any of us want to do this or might call it sport. So lets talk crop protection with a little more honesty.

Bag limits are simple to someone who respects thier quarry and shoots for the sport, quite simply its a matter of the fact that they cannot be sold, should never be left to rot and then at what point do you turn from slaughterman / butcher from spotsman? i am with sky gypsy shooting 4 is not over doing it on a good flight now and again but if you do that three times a week through the season you are certainly NOT a sportsman.

The whole thing to a true gooseman is the doing not the killing, if you cannot gain the greatest amount of satisfaction from walking out onto a windswept marsh at silly o'clock in the morning, hiding in a hole or gutter listening to the goose chatter out on the sands and anticipating / hopeing you are under the right line as the tide and breaking light moves them off the sand then this "sport" is not for you. The geese might come off too high or just too wide of you so you leave them alone but there is no great disapointment, the seeing and hearing was enough (it makes it far better when they come off just right anyway) The anticipation basically beats the killing hands down. Driving out onto a field in a 4x4 putting out a stack of deycoys were the food is, maybee paying a guide to show you the were and when and taking your shots as they set thier wings to land is so far away from all this that people have to talk bag limits so they might actually know if they are acting in a sporting way?........................ Perhaps asking the question tells us the answer?

The whole thing to a true gooseman is the doing not the killing, if you cannot gain the greatest amount of satisfaction from walking out onto a windswept marsh at silly o'clock in the morning, hiding in a hole or gutter listening to the goose chatter out on the sands and anticipating / hopeing you are under the right line as the tide and breaking light moves them off the sand then this "sport" is not for you. The geese might come off too high or just too wide of you so you leave them alone but there is no great disapointment, the seeing and hearing was enough (it makes it far better when they come off just right anyway) The anticipation basically beats the killing hands down. Driving out onto a field in a 4x4 putting out a stack of deycoys were the food is, maybee paying a guide to show you the were and when and taking your shots as they set thier wings to land is so far away from all this that people have to talk bag limits so they might actually know if they are acting in a sporting way?........................ Perhaps asking the question tells us the answer?

I agree with you about doing the silly `O` clock thing on the foreshore or marsh but not everyone has the ability to be able to walk across sand dunes, sea walls, marsh & mud etc. The good freind who`s farm we decoy goose on is in a wheel chair. we are not just having some good `sport` and its not a massive cull. Its a pastime like all other forms of shooting. My freind has shot for years including all types of shooting both a rifle and shotgun at targets, clays, deer, pigeon, geese & duck and also phesant. he cannot always get into the field on his chair so he sometimes shoots from an argo. We never have shoot the same fields twice in the same week unless it has been for pigeon & crows and every thing that has been shot that can be eaten is.

Every1 has there differences . Some people like decoying pigeon some like roost shooting some like flighting them . It can go on and on. I'm in southport wildfowlers 1 of he best marshs in the country but I still enjoy inland goose shooting the most! Do a great job for the farmers and respect every1s comments !!

Every1 has there differences . Some people like decoying pigeon some like roost shooting some like flighting them . It can go on and on. I'm in southport wildfowlers 1 of he best marshs in the country but I still enjoy inland goose shooting the most! Do a great job for the farmers and respect every1s comments !!

Your a member of one of the best marshes in the country(in your opinion), yet you would rather go inland, why not give your club membership to someone who would appriciate it then.

As Anser has said pest control is to often used to justify large bags of geese,yet most of it is done on stubbles so what exactly is being protected?.

My personal limits are 2 geese and 6 duck..

I've shot plenty of geese in the past but never more than 2 per flight. I've also taken people with me to over 3000' in Scotland to shoot ptarmigan. In some years after they had bred well there would be literally hundreds but I imposed a bag limit of 2 per person. No one complained, especially if they were the first ptarmigan they had shot.

Your a member of one of the best marshes in the country(in your opinion), yet you would rather go inland, why not give your club membership to someone who would appriciate it then.

As Anser has said pest control is to often used to justify large bags of geese,yet most of it is done on stubbles so what exactly is being protected?.

+1

Terry p coz it dead mans shoes ! Once you drop out there's no getting back in ! 25 ur waiting list plus who no's wot will happen in the future !!

There'll be no future if people like you keep blasting away taking excessive numbers. You can only shoot them once.

The whole thing to a true gooseman is the doing not the killing, if you cannot gain the greatest amount of satisfaction from walking out onto a windswept marsh at silly o'clock in the morning, hiding in a hole or gutter listening to the goose chatter out on the sands and anticipating / hopeing you are under the right line as the tide and breaking light moves them off the sand then this "sport" is not for you. The geese might come off too high or just too wide of you so you leave them alone but there is no great disapointment, the seeing and hearing was enough (it makes it far better when they come off just right anyway) The anticipation basically beats the killing hands down.

Haven't shot geese for years now,

But I'm sure I could hear them calling whilst reading that post by Kent......... brought back memories.... :good: