Electronic ear defenders

oscarsdad

I am looking to get some better hearing protection since I find myself shooting a lot more frequently now (which is great) so am thinking of either some decent electronic ear defenders or possibly the custom fitted ear plugs.

Currently I just use just some Peltor passive ear defenders (service issue MOD ones).

I don't really want to spend more than about £150 but would like decent quality and comfort - does anyone have any thought or recommendations?

Cheers

Anthony

I have some Deben electroinc ear defenders mine are not the slim down version but don't effect my mount at all. Although they do a slim down version. Mine were £50 so couldn't go wrong really.

Like them as they keep my ears warm in the wind and have adj controls so you can increase the volume of the ambient noice such as talking but still reduce all sound above 85db.

oscarsdad - are you serving forces? If so drop me a line, I may have something useful for you.

Sadly not, I did all the selection but after much deliberation decided to stay in industry and now I sit behind a desk getting fat and bored wishing I had joined! Lol!

Edited by oscarsdad

I've lost 60% of my hearing in one ear and 40% in the other and also suffer severe tinnitus ALL the time and all from firearms.

Once you lose your hearing, it's gone for good and I wouldn't wish my hearing problems on my worst enemy. My advice would be to buy the best possible product you can find rather than the cheapest.

I've now bought myself a pair of Walker's Game Ears (I think it's called the PH model) They fit into the ear like a hearing aid and are very comfortable.. They work a treat but I surely wish I'd had them 25 years ago.

Edited by shakari

I've got a pair of Peltor Sportac earphones which are great.

http://peltorcomms.3m.com/World/Product.asp?PageNumber=934&Product_Id=34&ProductCategory_Id=39

They **** on the cheaper ones, easing out the report so you can't tell rather than cutting out dead for a moment. Comfy and come with both green and orange outer casings.

Got mine from http://www.best4headsets.co.uk/-MT16H210F-478-GN/asp/ProdID/3585/CtgID//af/page.htm

I have a pair of Radians, battery ear defenders with sound blanking built in. I won them in a shooting times competition. They are slim line, easy on off and comfortable. They pick up and low noise such as speech and traps etc but blank out the bang.

Can highly recommend, but dont know how much they retail for.