Anyone into ''classic'' fishing rods?

eddoakley

Evening guys.

Bought a load of fishing tackle at an auction which includes several split cane type rods. Some are battered but some seem like nice bits of kit.

Not really my thing but you know how auctions are :blush:

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on whether they might be worth anything.

Will do some pics if I get some replies.

Thanks

Edd

like shotguns a lot has to do with the makers name, next comes type. Light small fly rods in good working condition are still sought after, avon type rods and carp rods that can all see a little use are also a premium, heavy salmon rods are pure collectors stuff realy. many are pure kindling

Thanks for the replies.

firstly i did buy one hardy fly rod but that is a more modern one.

The older stuff mostly doesnt have names but in my limited knowledge seem to be perfectly usable.

there is one salmon rod which is a bit odd.

Each section (there are 4-2of which are top sections) are tapered at the joining ends and I dont see how they fit together. It seems as though there should be some sort of ferule but I have never seen one like this. There is a name on this one which I will post tomorrow when i take pics. A poor description I know but any ideas?

Edd

Each section (there are 4-2of which are top sections) are tapered at the joining ends and I dont see how they fit together. It seems as though there should be some sort of ferule but I have never seen one like this.

These are "spliced" joints taped together with insulating tape and made as such to prevent the sections turning while spey casting. In the days of split cane and greenheart it was usual to supply two top sections with a rod in case of breakage.

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder

Look out for the makers name grant of Inverness if the rods are greenheart, these were special rods supposedly ,"tuned" to the highest peak of efficency. A record set by Mr Grant of 65 yard cast was only beaten in recent timwes with modern tackle and lines. If you google , "Grants Vibration Rods" you should get an illustration of spliced joints.

Blackpowder

It would seem my father has just picked up one of these vibration rods with 2 tips included and canvas rod cover. What kind of money would you be talking?

Sorry to hi-jack but does anyone know much about J.Jones of 111 Jermyn Street London, my father also picked one of these rods up but not much information about for them. Its a 13+ ft nearly all solid wood if I remember right with brass rings and reel seats. Engraved into the brass is J.Jones of 111 Jermyn Street London

Speak to Bohnhams or christis.....they used to have sales of old fishing tackle once a year, most of it was bought up by american collectors and they were paying silly money a few years ago....500-1000 $ for one unnamed rod !.....proberley like everything else now, the bottom has dropped out of the market

B James of Rugby made the "avon" and "kennet perfection", rods and they are the only rods that I have ever heard become worthwhile collector items, With most rods, thosands were made, then stored away when the next generation came along. About the only things with any sort of value are early experimental reels and those items of end tackle that are usually lost, ie plugs,spinners, kynochs,etc.LOTW

I give 111 year old rod to a fello fly tyer called Davie McPhail (youtube him) It was made in a shop called Braddels in Belfast which is still opened, I phoned them to get some info on it and they said basically it was worthless although my scottish pal thought it was a lovely gift and piece of history.

Ehmm i dont think they had insulating tape in those days. they used strips of leather, which were first soaked in water then bound onto the ferrules.

Aye quite so but the thing is they were held together by a lashing rather than a suction ferrule, but regardless of what bound the joints it eliminated the stiff spots found with a ferrule rod and prevented twisting of the sections when spey casting.

Blackpowder

B James of Rugby made the "avon" and "kennet perfection", rods and they are the only rods that I have ever heard become worthwhile collector items, With most rods, thosands were made, then stored away when the next generation came along. About the only things with any sort of value are early experimental reels and those items of end tackle that are usually lost, ie plugs,spinners, kynochs,etc.LOTW

Thee only rods worth collecting ! !

I have been known to dabble in collectable tackle and the rods you mention are by no means the mutts nutts..As a simple rule with vintage fishing gear condition is the byword,the better it is the more you will get and stuff still in original boxes,lures,reels ect are worth 3-4 times more than used ones of the same make without a box.

With most named stuff a quick google will give you a rough price.

I think any vintage fly reel by Hardy especially ,"The Perfect" will be worth serious money.

Blackpowder

Just been checking some of the rods after I remembered this thread. The one interesting rod is the spliced joint one. Its a ''scottie'' by S Sharpes of aberdeen.

Anyone know anything about this rod? I have some info from google but some first hand knowlegde would be great.

Thanks

Edd