Zeroing problems

Wildfowler12

Evening all, I bought a new springer this week (Stoeger X20 Suppressor .177) and a 3-9x40 scope.

Problem is that it's shooting very low, about 4inches even after the elevation has been adjusted all the way!

I thought the scope might have been mounted wrong, so I took it off and started again but i'm getting the same results. I read that you can get 'barrel droop' but I don't think this is the problem.

Any suggestions would be appriciated, it's grouping fairly tight, and the windage is bob on, it's just the elevation :(

i had the same thing with a bsa lightning didnt have a clue what it was till i looked down the barrel and could only see a half moon and the end. bent barrel i just cocked it and bent the barrel the otherway works well... this would be a bit strange on a new gun ....

also try shooting with open sights to confirm if its the gun or the scope

Edited by Scottoj18

Had the same problem on a rapid i had, just packed the front mount with some thin rubber to raise it slightly and it sorted it.

I don't think that will help, packing the front mounts will make the problem worse surely?

As suggested elsewhere, swap the mounts and see if that helps, you could try a set of adjustable mounts but that means more money, or take the outfit back and tell them the problem and ask them to sort it out.

Regards

Tim.

i had the same thing with a bsa lightning didnt have a clue what it was till i looked down the barrel and could only see a half moon and the end. bent barrel i just cocked it and bent the barrel the otherway works well... this would be a bit strange on a new gun ....

also try shooting with open sights to confirm if its the gun or the scope

I had the same problem on my BSA lightning and found that the scope was faulty

It can often be a windage jamb. set the scope to windage central posision then forget were the verical placement is now just zero on elivation, then and only then set the windage. To be fair some scopes can just be plain faulty and also some guns can suffer droop or alignment issues genrally. so the next step is try a borrowed yet proven scope. If the 2nd proven scope dont work its likely to be a gun fault. Mounts are easy to alighn visually with a straight length of the appropriate bar diameter just tighten in the mounts its more likely to be off to one side than up or down as sometimes people have one claw foot reversed or it aint seating in the groove well. If your way off on elivation you will need too much packing and it likely as not will deform the scope body tube on tightening

I don't think that will help, packing the front mounts will make the problem worse surely?

As suggested elsewhere, swap the mounts and see if that helps, you could try a set of adjustable mounts but that means more money, or take the outfit back and tell them the problem and ask them to sort it out.

Regards

Tim.

my problem was the opposite, ie: it was high :smartass:

Has Falcon FN said . Its a very common problem the 35 mm film works well.

You can get Scopes that are designed for air rifles and will zero at 30 yds but scopes designed for firearms zero at more like 100 yds.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

If you pack he rear mount you are forcing the rear up, with will lower the aim point. The OP wants to raise the aim point, so you must shim the front mount.

Seeing as it is a brand new gun I would do what the OP suggests, take it back and say "You sort it!"

Has Falcon FN said . Its a very common problem the 35 mm film works well.

You can get Scopes that are designed for air rifles and will zero at 30 yds but scopes designed for firearms zero at more like 100 yds.

this is a myth, they will both zero the same

:good: :good: How and where and why do people come up with this stuff?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

If you pack he rear mount you are forcing the rear up, with will lower the aim point. The OP wants to raise the aim point, so you must shim the front mount.

Seeing as it is a brand new gun I would do what the OP suggests, take it back and say "You sort it!"

if you read it again you'll see it's not the aim point that is low, its the impact point.

As said, swap the mounts around first and if that dosent work shim the rear mount with something like a piece of 35mm film.

Agreed, i cut down a piece of camera film/ negative film, whatever you call it.

Center the elevation dial, shim the rear to bring the center of the crosshair down onto the impact point.

Tighten up the mounts and zero the scope.

Sorry pre coffee statement! Apologies! Yes it needs to go lower, so it is the rear. But I would be taking it back!

As an incidental zero the scope first (click it all the way from one extreme to the other), halve it and click back, do this for elevation and horizontal. See if that makes any difference, if it does not take it back.

Also what distance are you attempting to zero at?

:good: :good: How and where and why do people come up with this stuff?

Not sure where they get it from mate .its quite a simple job to re-parallax most scopes to the required range,just about every scope i've owned (and thats quite a lot) has required re-parallaxing to air rifle range which in my case is parallax to about 28yds for a clear picture ,this gives me a really good 35yd zero which in turn gives me a nice crisp picture from about 15 to 45 yds which is where it just starts to go out of crisp focus this also comes in handy for a rough 45yd distance guide also means i generally only have to use 1 mildot .As i dont go much above 45yds on live quarry with an air rifle this suits me fine.

Edited by Jega

O.K so assuming your scope hasnt got parallax adjustment its a straight forward simple job to adjust it to suit your needs.

First remove the objective lens (large end) cover, this is screwed on and once removed will reveal the lens carrier assembley which is where the parallax adjustment takes place,it takes very little movement to make the adjustments so try a little at a time by screwing the lens carrier in or out as needed.

post-10089-0-76144900-1353263948_thumb.jpg