Range finders ?

Big Gnat

I had one a few years ago, found it helpful when zeroing, but that's about it, far better to approx distances by eye, when shooting live quarry its too much fathing about to range it then sight up the rifle, far better to just know its within your range or not

Couldn`t agree more , but when zeroing in at ranges further than 30 yrds its useful . Then its down to practice and more practice and I wouldn`t be without a Mildot scope. I grew up with the plain cross hair type scope and it was pure judgement on holdover. Nowadays these mildot scopes make things so much easier. Didn`t mean to get side tracked. But yes the range finder is best kept to use on a range or out plinking but when out hunting your experience gained on the range can be used in the field.

Couldn`t agree more , but when zeroing in at ranges further than 30 yrds its useful .

I have to confess, i just use a piece of string laid out on the grass!! It's 60yds long (ok a big piece of string) and marked out every 5yds - every 5 is red every 10 is black - and that does me. slips in the pocket, is waterproof and devoid of electronic parts to go wrong. it did take a nasty hit from a bramble once though...

I have to confess, i just use a piece of string laid out on the grass!! It's 60yds long (ok a big piece of string) and marked out every 5yds - every 5 is red every 10 is black - and that does me. slips in the pocket, is waterproof and devoid of electronic parts to go wrong. it did take a nasty hit from a bramble once though...

And you can use those to accurately range a rabbit at 50 yards??? Cor!

Simple, you just get the rabbit to hold the string, then unwind the string back to your rifle. Then you know how far the shot is and adjust holdover accordingly.

Yeah, they're nice like that down here. Squirrels don't have the patience to sit there, but rabbits don't mind too much. pigeons fly off with it and you're left with a mary poppins situation...

I use a Bushnell one that I picked up second-hand for a decent price but I only use it when setting up a hide. As others have already said, it's too much of a faff to use it regularly. When in the field I have been known to ping a tree or too and stick up a small stick on target, like a birchwood casey, just to check my zero before hunting. These days I carry a couple of small white pebbles about 3 inces in size. I put these out at approx. 35 yards (I use a .177 AA S410) and I then find it easy to guestimate range & killzone

I have a leupold and its brilliant wouldn't go shooting without it, only problem I think is they make you lazy, surely one of the essential field craft skills is gauging the distance. If you use it to confirm your judgement it can be a good tool to teach you good measurement skills, but its easy to slip into just range finding everything. Like I said I think there brilliant but you can end up depending on them.

Edited by scottk

Christmas list is expanding. I WANT one, but then i think of all the hunting outings ive done without one i have to question weather or not i really need one?

You dont really need one but they are a bit of a handy gadget. I only bought mine because I had some money to burn and fancied a new toy. As others have said, its a bit of a faff if you plan on getting it out and range finding everything, but I tend to do mine when im in the field to check my distances and get my bearings before hiding up. I dont actually use it before each shot as by then i know roughly what distance the target it.

• 1 month later...

I have one, i use it when i spot a rabbit. So say laser it at 100 yards. I know i have to stalk 50-60 yards.

Theres occasions i laser again once i think im close enough if theres time to be faffing on, but most times you are within a yard or 2 anyways and as said earlier, in .177 makes next to no difference.

I have also recently started shooting sub12 .25 for rats and pigeons/corvids on my permissions, here a range finder is essential if shooting past 30 yards

• 2 weeks later...

If you need to ping a live target then ITS TOO FAR! you only need to know one range hunting and that's the point your trajectory drops off too low below line of sight. That is normally 35 yds in .22 and 40 yds in .177 just practice while out and about, look at an object you think in range and pace it to confirm or deny your estimate. If you can place a lazer on it, adjust your aim to compensate 9-10 occasions you can get closer. For messing about with targets in practice they are just great